“The BEST place to stay in Alexandria”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Southern Shores, North Carolina
“The BEST place to stay in Alexandria”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We always stay here when we are in town. This hotel has it all; valet parking, dining room, bar, up-dated rooms,and a fantastic staff. The Piano Bar is always a "hoot"; lots of very talented locals on scene (Washington Opera). We love the location, the staff and the attention to detail.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear john b,

I like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words and for your loyalty to the Morrison House.
Your friends at the Morrison House are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Yours,

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The property

A purpose built block just off the busy King Street in Alexandria. The entrance is a pretty double staircase with a fountain. The block is about 20 years or more old, and beginning to look a little worn around the edges, but not unpleasantly so. Well located with lots of little restaurants and cafes within a few minutes walk.

The room

I had a corner queen. About 120 square feet. Carpets quite thin and worn. A biggish TV (obscure controls) well placed in front of the bed. The windows opened, but the background roar of neighbouring aircon plant made doing this unpleasant. The room had no kettle (housekeeping did not even know what a kettle was, but sent a sort of drip coffee making machine which made my tea taste of old coffee). Free internet, but you have to sign up to Kimpton’s mailing list which triggers a deluge of irritating mails.

The bed

A good quality true double, but a bit tired (squeaking springs). Good cotton linens. Sleep quality was OK, if a bit stuffy because it is too noisy to open the windows.

The bathroom

Decent sized bathroom with a larger than average bath and shower over.

Ambient noise

Medium to high. No traffic noise, but constant loud mechanical noise from neighbouring aircon units.

Overall

At $200 for a night this felt like an OK deal to me. I was given a $10 minibar voucher at checkin, but bottled water is $10 a litre, making the good feeling go away pretty quickly.

Room Tip: Room 512 is a corner room which looks out over half a dozen "always on" aircon units in th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Coltbridge
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Coltbridge,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I have to admit that I’m a little bit disappointed that your experience was ok but not perfect.
It is very rare that we get feedback on the noise level at our hotel and I apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused you.
I’m very excited to share with you that we are in the process of replacing all windows in the hotel. Three out of our five floors have already been completed and this major project will continue to help us in our quest of providing the best night’s sleep in Old Town Alexandria.
The corner queen room you stayed in is 208 sq ft large while our King Deluxe rooms and deluxe suites are larger.
Please contact me directly if your travels bring you back into our area. I would like to personally assist you with your room assignment and I will ensure that your next stay with us will be perfect.

Thanks again for your important feedback and Happy Holidasys,

Washington State
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I spent Hurricane Sandy holed up in this hotel and it turned out to be my favorite hotel and experience of my entire trip, and not just because they never lost power!
I'd stayed at Westin and Renaissance before coming here and this one blew the others away. The front desk staff, the waiters, room service - all were top notch. It was honestly one of the classiest hotels I've ever stayed at. Location was great, in Old Town Alexandria, just off of King Street. I was really impressed how calm and courteous the employees were, though they must have been a little worried about their own homes and families with the storm approaching. I also know they were asked the same questions over & over, yet they always were patient and the most gracious hosts ever. They had taken all the precautions possible, they have a generator, they were out checking the storm drains and exterior. Prior to getting there I was worried about the storm and feeling really vulnerable, but they took all that worry away. I felt cared for.
The restaurant was great, especially the waiter at breakfast time! He must have been a British butler in a previous life!
The beds were great, the hotel was quiet. Amenities were top notch. They allow pets there and I never heard one nor did I encounter any tell-tale pet smells. They do everything well here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank why_pack_light?
Dear why_pack_light?,

Thank you very much for your awesome feedback. I’m glad that your enjoyed your recent experience with us. It means a lot to us that your stay at the Morrison House was your favorite of your entire trip.
It will be my pleasure to share your fantastic comments with my entire team and in particular with John our British breakfast server.

Happy Holidays,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business. I really enjoyed it. The room was very clean and the air was fresh. The staff was friendly and helpful and efficient. There are a lot of restaurants and bars within walking distance and its about a 10-15 minute car ride from DCA airport. There is also some really nice stores close by. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hellos JanetKamil,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent experience with us and I like to thank you for your review. I’m glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and that you felt our team was friendly and helpful.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Coronado, California
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed for business, and couldn't be happier. Location is within walking distance of everything in Old Town. Wine reception at night is low key and enjoyable, held is beautifully appointed front parlor and library. Piano bar is small and intimate, a wonderful way to spend the evening. Staff is best point about the hotel - extremely willing to please in every way. This is my new always-stay-here hotel for all business in Washington!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Mfsylvester
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Mfsylvester,

We are thrilled to be you new “Always-stay-here hotel for all business in Washington”.
Thank you so much for the kind comments about our team. It means a lot to us.

Hope to welcome you back soon,

Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stay at the Morrison House about 3 times a year as a weekend getaway, and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else - the entire staff is welcoming and genuine, and truly goes out of their way to make certain you enjoy your stay. The location is perfect for a walking weekend in Old Town, and despite all of the restaurants and night spots in close proximity, we find we'd rather spend the evening in the hotel's bar. I actually hesitate even sharing this, I don't want to spoil our little secret! Kimpton, you have a primo staff at the Morrison House - whatever you're doing, don't change a thing!

Room Tip: Two-room suites are wonderful for winter/poor weather stays, plenty of space to enjoy in room dining...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear padstow99,

Thank you for sharing your little secret with some other travelers. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.
Thank you for your loyalty!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This quiet, beautiful building, in a quiet corner of old Alexandria, was the beginning of a warm, welcoming, and comfortable experience. Jose greeted us at the gate, the desk staff welcomed us by name and then Jose escorted us to our room. Once in the room, Jose checked to make sure everything was working, convenient, and fulfilled our needs. Our room was lovely, homey and well appointed with very comfortable furniture and large wonderful bed. Later, each time my husband and I appeared in the main hall, we were greeted by name and any service we required was delivered with ease and grace. We highly recommend this gem of a hotel and have already told our friends. What a find. P.S. We would not have known about your hotel without the recommendation of our friends, Harriet and Dick Larsen of 319 S. St. Asaph St. Alexandria. Sincerely, Margaret W. Plum, Boston

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Margaret P,

First of all thank you to your local friends for recommending our hotel. I’m extremely happy that you enjoyed your experience and that Jose had such a positive impact on your stay.
I really appreciate you taking the time to write this kind review and all of us at the Morrison House are looking forward to welcome you back.

Respectfully,