“affordable luxury in a great location”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“affordable luxury in a great location”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is just lovely. The rooms are very luxurious and the staff are so friendly and nice. They always remembered us and were very accomodating. It is only about 7 blocks to the Metro, which is an easy walk along the most charming street. Just loved it! The only thing I did not love was the daily parking fee. $25/day seems like highway robbery. I do understand that in a historic city where parking is sparse that you will have to pay. I also understand that anything near DC is probably going to be a little pricey. Still, that seems like a lot when the hotel is already not cheap. oh well. still loved it.

Room Tip: i think they are all probably good rooms. this boutique hotel is just so warm and nice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Hello ecrabt01,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for taking the time to write this kind review. I’m glad that you loved your experience with us.
Nobody likes to pay for parking! It might make you feel a little bit better if I tell you that our neighbors a few miles up the road in DC charge twice as much.
Also please make sure that you always check what packages we are offering on our homepage as we often offer free parking and other great stuff!

Tobias Arff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My first visit to the Morrison House, but definitely not my last! I was welcomed by the bellman before I even entered the hotel, greeted warmly again at the front desk and then found a personalized note with fresh baked cookies awaiting me in my very comfortable room. I'll definitely stay here again and am planning on checking for Klimpton hotels for my future stays as well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Nicloe B,

I appreciate your nice comments and it is exciting to hear that you enjoyed your first stay at the Morrison House and at a Kimpton property.
I fully support your plan of checking out other Kimpton Hotels and to return to the Morrison House. I promise you a friendly butler will be there to greet you!

Tobias Arff
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The service provided at the Morrison House was above and beyond our expectations. We recently stayed at the hotel during a "getaway weekend". The room was great and the service extraordinaly. In fact, Gwayn at the front desk truly exceeded all expectations in helping – after we actually checked out!

My wife and I went to the Nats game and, unfortunately, got caught in the very severe weather which arose at the end while we were waiting for a cab to return to the Morrison House to get our luggage. Bottom line, we were soaked… to the bone.

When we returned to the front desk to retrieve our bags, Gwyan provided us with towels as well as a place to change. Additionally, he was wonderful in arranging for us to not only have dinner afterwards but also for transportation to return to the airport later that evening.

Believe me, this made an impact on both my wife and I, both of whom are pretty seasoned travelers. We greatly appreciate the wonderful service and will certainly be staying at your hotel in the future. Great job, Gwyan!!!

1 Thank Kurt G
Dear Kurt G,

I cannot thank you enough for your kind words about your experience and in particular about the high level of service Gwyan provided. I’m very fortunate to work with a passionate leader such as our operations manager Gwyan Moses.
It is wonderful to hear that he went above and beyond to make a unpleasant situation a little better and possible even save you from getting a cold.
I hope the Nat’s won! We are looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Redmond, Washington
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed here both at the beginning & the end of our trip. Both times our experience couldn't have been better. The accomodations are so comfortable, & the food in the restaurant is so tasty. The service we received from all of the staff was outstanding. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Dear gaylelen,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It means a lot to us that your stays could not have been better and that you highly recommend our hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Respectfully,

Woodbridge, Connecticut
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife joined me on a business trip to DC and we stayed at the Morrison House. It provided the perfect ambiance for the business traveler and for a couple with some free time. The room was very romantic and pretty, while the hotel had everything the business traveller could want. BReakfast was excellent (and high-powered, the former governor of Virginia was at the next table). And our dog was comfortable too. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear 17JAC17,

I ’m thrilled that you enjoyed you experience at the Morrison House and that you were able to bring your wife and your dog on your business trip.
It is great to hear that you truly enjoyed our breakfast and that you even met some “famous folks”. Did you try our Beignets? They are so yummy…
Thank you for the great review. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours,

Williamsburg, VA
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel is right in the middle of olde towne Alexandria. A short walk to the metro to DC and a short walk to the waterfront ot the end of King Street. Very cozy accommodations and the restaurant is very good. Saturday nights have a great piano player.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear vamel,

Thank you very much for your kind words about the hotel our restaurant and our piano bar.
We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 1, 2012

upon pulling up to this charming boutique hotel, it is on a side street and not a major thoroughfare so street traffic both pedistrian/vehicle is limited..i was impressed by the stately appearance. exceptionally clean and the use of minimalism in their landscaping but very tastefully done..we got checked in on a sunday early eve. i was not overly/under impressed with the service and the rooms were clean but a little tired and very small..it is a major metropolitan area and i realize real estate is at a minimum but i did think the room unusually small..it was an end corner room..the hotel is in a great location ...hop on a free street car/trolley to the metro and into the city..no gym..there was a nice happy hour with a member of management who are obviously exceptionally well versed in what to do and where to eat..i highly recommend staying in olde alexandria to save on cost..dc is rite across the river..

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank etltr
Hello ettr,

I appreciate that you chose the Morrison House for your recent stay. It is great to hear that you found the hotel to be exceptionally clean and that the host of the evening wine reception had some great recommendations for you.
I notices that you were not fully satisfied with the size of your room. Please contact me directly the next time you are planning to visit the area. I would like to personally take care of your room assignment and have you experience one of our large Deluxe King rooms. Thank you for your important feedback!

Respectfully,