All reviewsold town alexandriaking streetboutique hotelsmall hotelcorner roommini barfavorite hotelthe entire staffvalet parkingstreet parkingroom was clean and comfortableshops and restaurantsdc areahappy hourfree trolleykimptonturndown
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Morrison House is far and away the most charming small hotel in Old Town Alexandria!!! We always recommend it to friends coming to Old Town. Morrison House is also the perfect venue for special events. Recently my husband and I co-hosting a champagne reception and dinner for 24 guests at the Morrison House. All our guests LOVED it!!! Morrison House is also a wonderful place to go and enjoy a very delicious meal or relax in the bar.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear christalyons,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House and thank you for the great feedback. It is fantastic to hear that you found our hotel charming and that all of your 24 guests loved the champagne reception your husband co-hosted. We can’t wait to welcome you or your friends back!

Sincererly,

Reviewed June 13, 2012

The Morrison House, a small, boutique hotel very close to Olde Towne Alexandria is perfect for some peace and quiet and to get away from the usual generic hotel. Although the rooms are on the small side, the beds are great, and everything is at your fingertips. The very best comment we can make about this little gem is the staff. Great smiles, great welcome, great attitude and very helpful. Everything is within walking distace, and beautiful Mount Vernon is a short car ride away - a must-see for this area. Possibly this hotel wouldn't be great with children as there is no pool and not much space surrounding the hotel for them to run around. However, for couples who want a romantic getaway or anyone enjoying the ambiance of a place decorated in period style, this is a grand choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LYEVBA
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear LYEVBA,

I really appreciate the kind words about our staff. I’m fortunate to lead a team that truly cares about the well being of every single guest and I’m thankful that your recognized this. They are the hard and soul of the Morrison House and some of them have been loyal to this hotel for a quarter of a century. Thank you for your feedback and please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Respectfully,

Reviewed June 12, 2012

From the time we checked in until we left, we felt welcomed be every staff member. We were greeted as soon as we exited the elevator and each time we returned to the hotel. When I asked the desk clerk about directions in Washington, she found coupons for us to use at the museums. At the evening "Happy Hour," the staff was attentive but not overbearing.
It's location is great - just off King Street and about equidistant from the waterfront and the Metro Station. As a matter of fact, since we love to walk, we didn't move our car until we checked out. You can find restaurants close by or take a stroll to the waterfront for more selections. There is also a restaurant on-site.
The room was lovely, with three windows and a really comfortable bed.
The next time we visit Alexandria, the Morrison House will be the place we'll stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear lilygirl1999,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. It is great to hear that our team made you feel welcome, that your room was lovely and that you enjoyed our central location in Old Town Alexandria. We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Morrison House upon your return to Alexandria.

See you soon,

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I had a bad experience here because of dogs.

Our room was spacious and comfortable but with minimal amenities - no local map or tourist information, nasty industrial shampoo made of sodium laureth sulphate.

The coffee in the downstairs lounge, an organic Guatemalan variety, is terrific, bit only available until 10 a.m.

The big disappointment was the dogs and the inadequate response of the hotel. We spent a busy Saturday seeing lots of Alexandria and I returned to the room greatly looking forward to a quiet couple of hours with a book. (This was our first weekend in three years without the kids.)

Instead, a dog was howling in the next room - not barking, but howling endlessly and without letting up for a moment. In fact, I think that it had been shut into a bathroom adjacent to ours, so it was particularly loud and resonant.

After a half hour of this, I called the front desk and the person who answered (he didn't volunteer a name) told me that he would call the dog's owners, giving me the impression that he somehow knew that they were nearby and the situation could be remedied. I received no further update and the same infernal noise was still going on over an hour later when we went out to dinner.

The next morning, this same dog started barking again and set off another dog barking in the room across the hall.

When we checked out, I told the front desk staff that I was disappointed with the experience at the hotel. I had no prior experience of Kimpton Hotels, but thought that they aimed at customer satisfaction. I thought that some appropriate response might be either a notional reduction in the bill or an offer of a concessionary rate on a future visit. Instead, I was offered the lame response that the dog "must have been part of the wedding party that was here over the weekend".

Bottom line is that if you travel with a dog and don't care who it bothers, the Morrison House would love to hear from you. If you don't fit that description, I encourage you to look elsewhere.

To add insult to injury, I've received an email from SniqueAway saying that they're offering a spring rate of $129 a night. We were charged $206.

Room Tip: We liked Room 303 - at the back of the hotel, no street noise, windows on two sides.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jonat1x
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear jonat1x,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House for your recent stay with us and thank you for your review. I like to sincerely apologize for the challenges you experienced during your stay with us.
I’m very thankful that you gave me the opportunity to talk to you over the phone after I read your review. This gave me the opportunity to not only personally apologize but also explain our pet policy in detail to you.
All Kimpton Hotels are pet friendly and this includes the Morrison House. We pride ourselves on having a very well working pet policy in place that helps us to make the stay of guests with and without pets most enjoyable.
Unfortunately in your case our process did not work and I very sorry for the inconvenience this caused you. We did not do a good job in communicating our efforts taken to you and I like to ensure you that I addressed this with our entire team.
Part of our pet policy is that every guest who travels with a pet signs a waiver at check in. This waiver informs them that their pet needs to be on best behavior by keeping the noise level down. We also require a cell number so we can reach them at all times.
In your particular cases we were unfortunately not able to reach the pet owner. They did not answer their phone and they did not returned our voicemail. This luckily happened very rarely as most pet owners who travel with their pets are very experienced and very responsible and respectful of the needs of others. I also like to mention that we have non pet floors at the Morrison House and we are happy to accommodate this room request at all times.
Thank you again for taking time to talk to me. I can’t wait to welcome you back to a quiet and flawless experience at the Morrison House.

Respectfully,

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Checked in and were put in a basement level room which we did not care for but the Front desk staff happily moved us to another floor which was superior. Service was great overall and the breakfast was delicious. Overall room quality was excellent and I would buy one a mattress just like the one I slept on if I knew the brand.

Room Tip: I did not like the basement level room but the accommodated my when I asked to be relocated.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear Lynn H,

I’m glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and that we were able to find you a room that you felt was superior. Our rooms on the lower level are the same size and they have the same amenities as our rooms on the upper floors and they are extremely quite. Some of these rooms do have a little bit smaller windows and they might not get the same amount of sun as some of our high floor corner rooms. I like to thank you that you for informed us about your room preferences as this gave us the opportunity to find you a room that you truly enjoyed.
In regards to the mattress, please give me a call at the hotel at 703.838.8000. I would be happy to give you all necessary information to purchase one of our mattresses for your own home. We have them at my home and we truly enjoy them!

Hope to talk to you soon and thank you again,