“A Wonderful Time”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a weekend getaway spot for our anniversary, and decided on Old Town Alexandria. We selected the Morrison House because of its reviews here, and reserved one of the Deluxe Suites. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we truly felt like such pampered guests. The staff was VERY friendly, and the manager (who I believe was Tobias) went out of his way to do something nice for my wife and me (I won't mention it here, because I would not want others to think it is typical). On Saturday evening we had a wonderful time at the wine reception, so much so that we then hung out later that evening at the piano bar with some of the new acquaintances we met at the reception. The hotel is in a great location as well. My wife and I are fitness buffs, so the only disappointing thing is that the hotel does not have a workout room, although we were able to use the one at the Hotel Monaco (another Kimpton hotel) at no cost. Overall, it was a superb experience, and we would definitely recommend the hotel to others.

Room Tip: May want to consider higher floor rooms away from bar area if you like daylight/quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2012

Dear BrianofVA,

I like to take a moment to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I’m glad that you enjoyed your anniversary getaway at the Morrison House and that you felt pampered by our team.
It would be awesome to have the space to accommodate a gym on property but this is unfortunately not possible. It is good to hear that you took advantage of the complementary gym set up that we arranged for all guests at our sister property in short walking distance.
I hope to get the opportunity to pamper the both of you again soon.

Yours,

There are newer reviews for Morrison House, Autograph Collection

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Hotel was incredible. Staff new my name everytime I walked through the lobby.

Friday night piano bar was a lot if fun.

Rooms were great really comfortable beds.

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Mcgyver975,

I truly appreciate your nice comments! The Morrison House family is looking forward to welcome you back soon and don’t be surprised if we still remember your name
up on your return :-)

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Fabulous experience! Everyone was warm and welcoming. The room was comfortable, charming, & clean and had a wonderful vibe. Service was incredible, everyone was attentive and tried to anticipate your every desire and make it possible. Many restaurant and shops right outside your door. What really makes this place though is the warm staff and their amazing attention to detail.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

Dear Brittydear,

I truly appreciate your nice comments and I’m glad that you enjoyed you recent experience with us. Our team takes a lot of pride in what they do every day. Taking good care of our guests is not only part of our job as more so our passion. Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Respectfully,

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Simply an outstanding hotel. Great ambience. Staff is friendly and efficient. Rooms are comfortable, although it is best to avoid the rooms on the first floor (below the lobby level). Terrific location with many excellent restaurants in walking distance. Very comfortable lounge and bar. The staff will go the extra mile to be helpful if needed.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor rooms if possible.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2012

Dear Dan B,

It is very nice to be called the “Home away from home” and I like to thank you for that. It means a lot to our entire team to receiving positive feedback like yours. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back “home” very soon.

Yours,

Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband I just returned from a winter weekend getaway in Old Town Alexandria (for his birthday). When I made the reservation at Morrison House, I let them know if was a special occasion. Upon our arrival, we were greeted warmly by the staff. We had room 501, a corner room on the 5th floor. It was a nice, spacious king room with a fireplace, with three windows and a view back in the direction of the river. The room was well appointed and very comfortable. There was a high king four-poster bed, a loveseat, armchair, writing desk with chair, a large flat screen TV, etc. The fireplace was not functional, but the room was warm and well lit, with crown and chair rail mouldings and a persimmon color theme. Because it was a special birthday, they had provided a beautiful decorated cupcake and a birthday card from the staff. The bathroom was very nice, with Italian stone, nice bright lighting, and a tub/shower combination. They had every amenity you could want in the room, including turndown service, an umbrella, luxurious robes, and so forth. The valet parking is $25, but with unlimited in and out, and they were very prompt in bringing the car up. In the evenings, there is a hosted wine hour in the parlour and library. These two rooms are beautifully decorated. We enjoyed two glasses of wine in the library, and it was very private. In the morning, coffee is served in the parlour (meaning one has to go downstairs and be presentable) but it was excellent coffee. We had made a brunch reservation at the Grille (a reservation is necessary even if you are staying at the hotel because they have limited space). It was a very nice weekend & we would recommend it to other couples.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Dear FMCMaryland,

Thank you for the nice feedback and thank you for choosing the Morrison House for your Birthday. I’m glad that we were able to make your birthday weekend special and that my team surprise you with a little amenity up on arrival. It is good to hear that you enjoyed our evening wine reception and our morning coffee. I’m not quite sure if you know that we have complementary coffee makers up on request if you prefer not to leave your room for your first cup of complementary coffee in the morning, just let us know next time! We are looking forward to welcome the both of you back soon.

Happy Birthday

Reviewed February 3, 2012

The moment I pulled into the driveway I was greeted by a gentleman who helped me out with my bags and genuinely asked me how I was doing. I felt at home the second I walked in…Checking in was quick…it was kinda neat to have an “actual” room key and my first thought was I better not lose it! My room was so comfy I didn’t want to leave however I had read so many good reviews about the food there so I had to try it for myself.

The restaurant has an elegant feel, enough for you to dress up if you so desire or wear something cute and casually chic. Since I was alone I sat at the bar…the wine list is intensive, the bartender was amazing, I tried what he recommended and it was perfect!! I ordered a sea bass and it was delicately cooked and YUMMY! By the time I was done with my second or maybe 3rd glass a few locals arrived to enjoy what I later found out to be weekend piano nights. There were some sing-alongs…I was very happy by that time, after a few attempts to sing some classical with the locals, I decided to take my happy feet to my comfy room.

Check out their library while you are there it is super cute too! I heard their brunch beignets are heavenly. A must try next time!
t!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo

Dear labellevieenrose,

I would like to take a moment to thank you for taking the time to write this kind review. It sounds like you had a great time and that you made the most out of your shot stay at the Morrison House. I’m glad that you had the chance to swing by our restaurant for a casual dinner at the bar. We just recently changed our menu and the bass you had is a new addition to our menu. I tasted the dish myself and I have to agree with you on the yummy part. I’m glad that you enjoyed the open mic session and that you even participated in the singing.
We hope to welcome you back soon to your home away from home in Old Town Alexandria.

Respectfully,

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Recently had a chance to stay overnight at the Morrison House in Old Town, Alexandria. What a beautiful place! While I realize the building itself is not historic, it really feels as if it is and that you are staying somewhere that George Washington could have "slept" back in colonial times. The rich colors and furnishings are just exquisite. Our room was a queen and it was remarkably large. It even had a non-working fireplace, which is a nice touch. The bathroom was roomy and gorgeous with it's marble tilework. The Aveda products provided were a special treat too! The bed was extremely comfy and the room was so quiet, I don't know if anyone else was even in the hotel! The building is very sound and there were no outside noises from the hall and we couldn't hear anyone next door or above walking or below us. It was a really nice change from most hotels in that regard! The hotel is located right in the heart of Old Town and you are 1/2 block from King Street, which is a huge plus. We had breakfast in the Grille restaurant and it was just delicious, with superior service. Speaking of the service, the staff there couldn't have been any nicer or more welcoming! As soon as you walk up to the front of the hotel someone is there to greet you and help you with your bags. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful as well. I've stayed at one other Kimpton Hotel before (Hotel Monaco in Washington, DC) and this one far outshown the other where the staff was concerned. Will definitely be back again!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Dear FishGurrl,

Wow, have you ever considered being a professional travel writer? I cannot thank you enough for the fantastic feedback you have given us. I’m glad that you enjoyed all aspects of the Morrison House and that you appreciate our unique design. Our Hotel was built from ground up in 1985 and designed to reflect the Federalist style prevalent in Old Town under the consultation of an expert in Federalist design from the Smithsonian.

We are here to welcome you back with open arms!