“Beautiful Hotel, perfect location, front desk staff unprofessional”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Lebanon, New Jersey
“Beautiful Hotel, perfect location, front desk staff unprofessional”
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Stayed for two nights over new years in a suite after a lovely stay at the Helix in DC. In that we have a disabled son and a dog with us we wanted to check out of the DC hotel and check right in at the Monaco, drop the dog off in the room and bring our children for lunch. The Helix staff called the Monaco staff as I stood there and was told our room would be ready in 30 min. We arrived 45 minutes later and the Monaco staff denied receiving the call !
It was another 45 minutes and when I came back up to the desk the front desk staff just ran and hid instead of greeting me and explaining what was going on. Unprofessional. My only other request was for bedding for the sofa bed be at the desk for pick up when I came back from dinner. I returned more than two hours later and they had forgotten and we never saw the rollaway we were promised either. Maybe that was forgotten too. Yikes.

On a positive note, the wine hour had a large turnout with many people and well behaved pets. (mine stayed in the room) The lobby with fireplace was very comfortable and the conversations with the guests and all the pets was unique.

There are countless places to eat, shop, bank, etc. within walking distance and a park to walk the dog only a few blocks away. All in all a good place to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Dear island111065,

Thank you for your comments about your recent experience at our property. While pleased to read about your overall stay, I was quite concerned about your experience at our Front Desk. I'd welcome speaking with you further about the matter, as what you encountered is not the norm with our team. Feel free in contacting the hotel and simply asking for me.

Best,

Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco once before with our pup, and it was fabulous. We decided to stay again with our pup and with other friends on New Year's Eve. It was a delightful stay. Rooms are well appointed, clean, and attractive. Very friendly reception, quiet, and a central location for enjoying the Old Town Alexandria area. I would definitely stay again.

Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed January 4, 2011

After a pleasurable stay at the Kimpton Madera Hotel on DuPont Circle in D.C. late last summer, I chose to select another Kimpton for our stay for Christmas in Alexandria, where our daughter now lives. The Monaco was superb in all ways. I booked a few months in advance, directly with the hotel's internet site, and got what I consider excellent rates for our five nights there. Everything was topnotch, from our room with a balcony to the adjoining restaurant, Jackson 20. We were particularly impressed with housekeeping, which provided a bucket of fresh ice each evening. Bed was extremely comfortable, room and bathroom quite spacious. Decor is very nice, both in the room and in the lobby. Loved seeing all the canine guests and their owners. I will always select a Kimpton if there's one in the city I'm visiting.

Dear PennyW44,

Thanks very much for your comments about your stay. We truly appreciate the feedback about our team as well as our restaurant. We love the Madera in DC too, but anytime you're in this side of the Potomac we'd love it if you would stay with us.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

If your looking for a first class stay at a first class hotel without spending your last dollar, the Hotel Monaco is the place. My family stayed at this hotel during the holidays while visiting family. A great stay mostly because of an outstanding staff but also a great location. We came from Indiana and had a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed December 2010
vermont
Reviewed December 31, 2010

We had a good experience here but for one or two problems. First let me start by saying we booked with SniqueAway and I am wondering now if this affected our stay? First the GOOD;
Shuttle from the airport was prompt and the driver was very personable, lots of fun.
Hotel is beatutifully decorated, great lobby, perfect location for exploring Old Towne (see also BAD for location).
Room was large, nicely furnished, bed very comfortable, nice lighting (see bad also)
The vast majority of employees are great (just one bad apple) and will go way out of their way to help you . Thank again Micheal for everything.
Wine reception is a fun way to meet fellow guests. Generic California Melot and Chardonnay but then again we are wine snobs so for free it was fine.
Klimpton In Touch membership is free and gives you free wireless and a $10 coupon to raid the mini-bar
Now the BAD;
That one employee I mention checked us in, when I asked if we could have a room with a Jacuzzi tub instead of a balcony (not really needed in December) she very gruffly informed me that there were only two such rooms in the entire hotel and they were booked. She then proceeded to give us Room 210. Now first a little background , in my In Touch survey I informed Klimpton the most important thing to us is a quiet room and we liked higher floors. Our room was on the 2nd floor and right behind an ice machine and the bank of elevators . Now we did not discover this until we came back from supper in DC , very late our first night, and after we had totally unpacked all our belongings, so while I did not ask for another room, since we were there for only 3 nighs,t all night long we heard the DING of the elevators stopping on our floor, the first floor and the floor above us. My question is were we given this room because of booking with Snique Away? Something for them to look at?
Location , Great for Old Towne as I mentioned, NOT great to explore DC (well at least in the winter) It is a long walk to the metro on brick sidewalks that can get very slippery with a bit of snow. And My wife and I are serious hikers, so for anyone else this would be very difficult. Yes there is a free shuttle, try to find it when you are ready to leave though. It never seemed to be anywheres near when we wanted to go out.
Lastly and this is a silly little thing but maybe not if you are traveling with children. We loved the idea of a goldfish in our room but when we got back from our first nights supper our fish was floating on top. Not so scary for adults but something to thnk about if your kids get attached to your fish.All in all we would come back ,when it is warmer and stay here again. But we would CERTAINLY check out the room before hand!

Mainz, Germany
Reviewed December 29, 2010

From the 1st encounter with the valets, I knew my every need would be addressed swiftly and courteously. The bellhop ensured that I knew how to adjust temp & lighting (!) controls in my room. I'd forgotten my yoga mat...w/in an hour of check in, one was delivered to my room. I got a last minute brief an hour before I was to be at an important meeting...the front desk was able to print it out for me (of course, at a cost, but heck, it saved me a trip to FedEx when I was already running against the clock). The wine reception was a nice touch and an easy way to meet fellow travelers. The Kimpton InTouch membership is a bonus and allowed wi-fi use for the number of days of my stay. I'm coming back for my next business trip...next month!

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 31, 2010
Dear Texapina,

Thank you for the great feedback about your recent stay with us. We really appreciate the recognition of our wonderful staff and look forward in seeing you back with us next month. From all of us at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria, have a wonderful holiday!

Rob
Space Coast, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Now I should start off saying that I would not normally be able to afford to stay at such a nice place, but booking a great deal through Sniqueaway made it possible-it was my Christmas present to myself and boyfriend. That being said, I've never felt so spoiled at such a luxurious location. This was my first time to Alexandria, VA and it was a magical place to be for Christmas. I felt a little odd staying somewhere for Christmas rather than going home, but Hotel Monaco did everything possible to accommodate me and make me feel at home.

The decor was unique and inspiring, the colorful patterns rich and bold. The pet friendliness was well noted as it was just as much a social spot for dogs and fish as it were for people. The hotel's restaurant I probably ate the best meal of my life on Christmas Eve--hmm... lovely Duck and lentil dish. As having signed up for the Kimpton InTouch program I was able to get free Wifi and a little minibar coupon-very cool!

Because of Christmas I feel like the coziness of the lobby was amplified by not just the lovely tree, but also by the leopardprint fireplace-always great to come and warm myself up by, wine happy hour, and the little seasonal refreshments-hot cider and cocoa with marshmallows on the side table. I went into DC for a couple of hours on xmas eve-how silly of me! Alexandria was far superior in christmas cheer and there was no shortage of warmth and kindness at Hotel Monaco. The room was comfortable, the view was lovely, I would have loved to swim in the pool, but it was closed on Christmas day (understandably so)-the only regrettable part of the trip was that I missed out on the pool. But the facility was gorgeous, and the fitness room was quite nice, they even provided fresh apples within. I wish I was better with names and could specifically refer to those that stood out to me, but I'm very gracious that the hotel provided me such a wonderful experience. There was an adorable doorman that made a remark to me when I was carrying in some beer to my room, I wish I could have tipped him with beer, because he hinted that he would enjoy one, but I wasn't sure if it was in bad taste of me to do so. Either way, I really enjoyed the welcome.

I can also confirm that yes-parking is cheaper across the street for a fraction of the price. I didn't need my car for the entire duration of the trip. And there were lots of restaurants open on christmas day around the neighborhood. Thanks again Hotel Monaco! You've created many splendid memories for me.

1 Thank Trailblazed83
Dear aprilkathleen,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay. You picked a perfect time to join us, Old Town Alexandria has a wonderful holiday feel to it and was chosen as one of America's Top 10 Holiday Towns by the Travel Channel! We're thrilled you had a chance to experience it. We're sorry that you didn't have a chance to enjoy our pool; we've already reached out to our pool company and will be changing the hours its open next year. Thanks again and from all of us at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria, have a happy New Year.