“Clean, comfortable, and friendly”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
pennsylvania
“Clean, comfortable, and friendly”
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I really enjoyed my recent stay at this hotel. The staff were friendly and informative. The hotel was clean and comfortable. My grandchildren really enjoyed swimming in the pool. We enjoyed the town and the close proximity to Washington. In the afternoon there was a social wine gathering in the lobby. That was nice because we got to meet other people that way. The door men, front desk and housekeeping staff were helpful and pleasant. I really appreciated being treated nicely. I work hard all year also and look forward to going away to relax. I was able to do that at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed November 15, 2010

A Kimpton Hotel is an experience like no other. I've stayed at the Hotel Monaco three times in the past two years, and each has been genuinely comfortable and satisfying. The location is prime, a mere five blocks from the river, so walking out the door allows you ample access to fine dining and shopping. Take the trolley from the Metro if you are flying in from DCA.

I've stayed in three different rooms on three different floors. The queen rooms are nicely appointed, a bit small, but cozy and inviting. The king suites are even better. Get one with a jacuzzi, or an outside patio (room 510 is nice), and you will want to stay and have breakfast if the weather accommodates. I was especially impressed with the maid service. Our housekeeper made a point of getting specific requests on my second day stay. At this Monaco, all you have to do is ask, and it is there for you. Be prepared to be pampered.

Coffee in the morning is hot and plentiful. I got a complimentary WaPo at my door on Sunday. I got an upgrade on my room for half price. The only thing I would recommend is if you have to park, do so across the street (on Pitt)...parking at the hotel is 24 a night and you can save 2/3 by moving to the underground lot next door. If you are lucky, and stay over the weekend, you may be able to find off street parking for free. The meters are off on Sat/Sun.

This is a very very very good hotel. Competitively priced and within walking distance of all you would want to experience in Old Town, the service is top notch and the atmosphere romantic and expert. I would also highly recommend the restaurant next door for Sunday brunch. PLEASE get the crab cake/friend green tomato appetizer...heavenly...and mimosas non-stop for nine bucks. A Great Sunday Brunch experience.

Kimpton has my vote as the best upscale hotel in major cities, that attends to all the details (oops, let's not forget the wine tasting at 5), and really makes you feel as if you are the most important person there. I've stayed at the Hilton near the Metro and it's not even close (but more expensive!)...do yourself a favor and enjoy what amazing service and smartly appointed rooms are really all about.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Dear mr8tch,

What wonderful news! Thanks so much for the great feedback about your recent stay at our property. I'm thrilled you enjoyed yourself and also appreciate the feedback our our Housekeeping team.

We want to keep you coming back, so if you have any additional feedback that will keep us your favorite hotel then don't hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel. Loyal guests mean everything to us.

Seattle
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Had a fabulous room with a deck. Great town to walk and the location within Alexandria and with short train ride to DC it's very convenient to all I wanted to do.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I discovered this hotel two years ago when I walked out of another Old Town Alexandria hotel because of multiple problems there. At that time I felt so welcomed and surrounded by friendly upbeat employees at the Hotel Monaco that I was afraid to go back and risk being disappointed. Fortunately I was not disappointed. This time I was with my husband and I loved watching him see all the different ways the Hotel Monaco makes the guest feel important and noticed. Too many details to count. Little things like the mounted magnifying mirror in the bathroom, great towels and bedding, cute animal print robes, an umbrella in the closet. My husband loved the lighting in the bathroom. We found ourselves saying to each other, "did you notice this?". They didn't miss a beaat on the big things like great employees with great attitudes. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2010

What a gem! This hotel is perfectly located, right in the heart of Alexandria's Old Town boutique district. The free shuttle service to and from Reagan Airport certainly helped get my wife and I arrive safely at our hotel. Rooms were fantastic. Decor was very (I believe) Afro-Euro, which made the entire experience very cozy. Bed was comfy and the showers were very spacious, not to mention, they are very accessible to wheel-chaired guests. Most of the staff were either from Ethiopia or Morocco, and quite friendly, which only added to whole allure of the Monaco.

On both sides of the hotel you'll find a myriad of things to do within acceptable walking distance... shopping (modern or antique stores, for American, Asian and Euro tastes)... dining (places that stood out were of Greek, Spanish, irish, Italian, and Japanese cuisine. There are even a few Lebanese places nearby)... 24-hour pharmacies within two blocks of the hotel (for those of you who prefer CVS to Walgreens or vice versa, not to worry... King Street has both). If you desire some "quiet time", there's even a Books-A-Million right across the street from the hotel, or you can take a short walk toward the far end of King Street, where you'll find the Waterfront marina. Hotel Monaco is especially convenient for a romantic weekend getaway for couples. My wife and I seemed a bit more budget-conscious than some of the people we saw visiting (or living in) the area. But luckily we were able to find moderately-priced dining options on King Street, such as Murphy's Pub, The Fish Market, and Ichiban sushi.

There's one MAJOR "gotcha", the one demerit of our entire Hotel Monaco experience. NO FREE PARKING! If you're not careful, driving into Old Town Alexandria could cost you $24 for overnight parking in the hotel's underground lot. Fortunately, one of the hotel's staff was kind enough to point us to the Alexandria Courtroom lot, right next door to the hotel and around the corner from French café "la Madeleine" (on Pitt St.) There you will never pay more than $8/day (a great deal even by Florida standards). What a sigh of relief it was to find an affordable place to park. ;-)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Adhose
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Dear Adhose,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent experience with us. I'm especially grateful for your comments about our team; they're a very special group of people. I also enjoyed your thoughts about the unique decor of our hotel. It was done by world class designer Cheryl Rowley and we couldn't be happier with the results. If there's ever a piece of furniture or color palette of our design that interests you let us know. We'll be happy to find out where it was sourced.

I also appreciate your comments regarding parking pricing. We wanted to make sure that our guests were getting a value for the service, so before setting the price we did a survey of parking pricing for the local hotels. I'm happy to report that our pricing is in line with other hotels in Alexandria, and is actually less than some of the larger brands with a presence on King Street. As our doormen mentioned, there certainly are less expensive options for parking in our area though. The city has municipal parking garages on King Street, but keep in mind they close each night and don't open until early in the morning. You're not able to get your vehicle out. They also don't have valet parking options, so it can be difficult to move everything back and forth from the hotel to your car. In any event, we're always happy to discuss all of the options. Simply contact us here at the Monaco and we'll be glad to help!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 6, 2010

If you like to swim early in the morning, the Monaco's indoor pool opens at 6:00 a.m., is a nice size for laps and is warm, clean and refreshing. The decor of the lobby and the cozy rooms is wild, whimsical and will make you smile.
The hotel staff is always ready to assist you with any information or need. Besides a fast pickup van from DCA to Alexandria, they also have free car service to anywhere in Old Town. The staff is exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable about Old Town.
I didn't have a chance to sample the in-house restaurant as I like French cafes and there's a good one half a block up. There is also an Ann Taylor shop directly across the street.
I was on my way to a job-related conference and went in early to meet a friend, relax and see the best of Old Town. I did it all with the assistance of the staff and convenient location of the Monaco. It would be a pleasure to return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 7, 2010
Dear JudieF,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. We recently changed the hours of our pool due to guest feedback, so I'm thrilled to see that it's working for you. Please come back and see us, so you get a chance to try Jackson 20, our restaurant. Chef Marron has an entree I call '2 day ribs'. They take two days to prepare, and they're so good you'll think about them for the next two days!

Laurel Springs, New Jersey
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I don't know where to begin. When we pulled our car in front of the hotel with our 2 dogs a doorman was there with a smile and letting us know what we needed to do to check in with ease. They have valet parking but we wanted to park ourselves - he loaded our things on a cart while my husband checked in and he told me I could go to the lobby to relax... When we entered our room I dropped my things and started photographing the beautiful room. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Every light had a dimmer and even the desk drawer had a device to keep it from slamming shut (I noticed these minor details). The pool was gorgeous and at a perfect temperature and next to the gym. Happy hour every night with wine and appetizers. But most of the all the staff was so friendly - they always asked how our day was when we returned. Assisted us with getting a cab, etc. The location is in the heart of the town and near the water. Our dogs enjoyed it, too. The staff complimented our dogs and we never felt uncomfortable by having them stay with us. I can't stop raving about this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear JillW_10,

Thank you for your feedback, we're thrilled you had a good time with us! We're especially grateful for your feedback about our staff and agree they're a very special group of people. We'd love to see the pictures you took of your room. We also have a hotel page on FaceBook, feel free to upload any of the images. Thank you again for your loyalty and we hope to see you soon.