“Fantastic service and a great hotel”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
London, England
“Fantastic service and a great hotel”
Reviewed December 12, 2009

We were made to feel welcome the moment we arrived - everyone, from the valets parking our car to the staff on reception, were friendly and helpful. The room was excellent and we loved the goldfish - a great quirky touch. The only thing that let the hotel down was the room service, which we found overpriced and not great quality.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Banjo459
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
Hello Banjo,

Thank you for staying with us and I am glad that you felt welcome from the moment you arrived. I know the hotel staff try their best to be friendly and I know they will be pleased to hear about your stay. I see you had a pet goldfish for your stay. I apologize about room service. I will be sure to discuss this with the In-Room Dining team and also Jackson 20. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
ILEPAD
Reviewed November 27, 2009

Hotel is located in a prime location on King street, not far from the harbor and not far from the king street metro. The room is pleasant along with the bathroom, nice large tub. Even the indoor pool was great plus opened until 10 pm. Now for the negative side, the restaurant Jackson 20, much needed improvement. The food was not bad but the size of the portion was way to small (Tuna) and the side choices were lousy. And the room service, ordered the prime rib and my wife ordered the hamburger, for the price, hmm Wendy's would have suited us better. Both items came cooked the other way around. I have stayed in many different hotels and decided to give this a try, recommend to a friend but it will be a cold day in hell for me to stay again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ILEPAD
Monaco-Alexandria, Chef at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 22, 2009
Dear ILEPAD,

In response to your post I wanted to say that I am terribly sorry that you are not satisfied. I am the Executive Chef of Jackson 20 and these complaints aren’t the norm. We pride ourselves filling comfort food that warms the soul. Our Fried Chicken, Ribs and pork chops receive an abundance of accolades. Size has never been an issue when it comes to dinning in Jackson 20. I hope you can find it your heart to look past or misstep and visit us again.

Chef Dennis Marron
Hershey, PA
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Best location of any hotel for walking around Alexandria, but hotel itself is disappointing. After my reservation they solicited for a room upgrade for nominal fee but they check-in clerk had no record of my upgrade request. Parking garage is probably the dirtiest I've ever been in. Room was nicely decorated but much smaller than pictures made it seem. Note that 6th floor rooms all have 1/2 windows only. The "breakfast for $1 more" promotion allows you to sit in the attached restaurant (Jackson 20) but only includes a bagel or small stack of pancakes. Better breakfast can be had for free at a Holiday Inn. Overall this is not a bad hotel at all, just not a great hotel and, as compared to its own advertising, is quite a bit over-rated. Pick this hotel if location is important to you and you're not looking for a great lodging experience. If the room matters to you, plan ahead and stay at the Morrison House.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CJinPA
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Beautiful hotel - the "living room" aka lobby was very welcoming and inviting with its dark blue walls and fireplace. Wonderful location - very close to Chart House and waterfront parks (within 2 or 3 blocks). We loved the robes - leopard and zebra - that were available for you to wear while you were in their rooms. Very trendy decor in the room including black and white theme with mirrors and some wonderful lighting. Room service breakfast from Jackson 20 was the best room service I have had in a long time! There was wonderful sound proofing proven by the fact that there was a huge party about 3 doors down from us and we could hear nothing inside when we had the door closed to our balcony. I wish our balcony had overlooked the courtyard more instead of looking over a stone roof but then again, we'd be closer to the party :) I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an excellent location in Old Town Alexandria.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole A
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
Hello Niquolle330,

Thank you for your compliment about the hotel, I am glad that the lobby felt welcoming to you. We are in a great location in downtown Alexandria. I see you enjoyed your room service breakfast from Jackson 20. They do a great job! Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to see you again soon!
Bethlehem Pa
Reviewed November 6, 2009

My family's visit at the Monaco hotel was our first. Having stayed in hotels around the country and overseas, I would give this hotel the highest rating in all catagories. The staff and service and the room accomodations were as
good as one could expect of a top rated hotel. Added to our stay was the charm of Old Alexandria and wonderful restaurants all within walking distance.
We would return to this hotel in the future and would gladly recomend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Hello amslorb,

Thank you for bringing your family to stay with us and for the first time too! Thank you for your high praise and ranking of the hotel. I know that the entire staff will be delighted that they made such a positive impression on you and your family. Thank you for staying and please come back with everyone again soon!
Scotland
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Just back from a weeks stay at the Monaco and what a great place. My five old girl or should I say the princess of scotland as name bby BK & Karlim the door man made her trip and holiday.

Golden fish in the room, childrens bath robes, great pool, easy to find, this a great hotel for Washington...in a great town just a shame it rained for the first two daysa nd the redskins lost.

thanks guys for making her stay and holiday, all she talks about is her door men!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank FamilyfromScotland59
Hello FamilyfromScotlan59,

I am glad that you and your family were able to stay with us for a week. I am glad the BK and Karlim treated your daughter like royalty and her stay special. I know they go out of their way to make a special stay for everyone who walks through their doors. Thank you for bringing your family and please come back again and visit.
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Ratings always befuddle me. I don't think of this as a 5-star hotel, but my experience was exactly that--5-star.

If your visiting purpose is for Old Town tourism, this location can hardly be beat. It is very accessible and convenient, evenly spaced between the upper and lower blocks of King Street (the main tourist street). (Business travellers might prefer to be closer to King Street Metro and the companies in that area.)

Our room--243--was spacious, completely clean, with a comfortable balcony overlooking the courtyard. The weather was not conducive to sitting out, but I can imagine how delightful it could be.

I look for Kimpton weekend and AAA rates in the DC area and got this large room for US$132.05.

The staff was friendly and helpful at every turn, even though the front desk seemed just a tad distracted at time, preferring to stare at their computers rather than engaging me fully. And they seemed just a bit puzzled in my requests for biodegradable bags to take with my Dachshund on outside walks. (On a previous visit to Alexandria to the sister Morrison House, we found the staff incredibly good with my Dachshund, paying him as much attention as us! *lol* I think he was disappointed we didn't stay there again.)

My most pleasant suprise was dining in the connected restaurant "Jackson 20". Our evening meal--while again not a 5-star --was a very good experience, with expert attention from Danylo and some help too from Derek. This waiter and staff chef are wonderful! (I posted a review at yelp.com.)

We requested and received a goldfish in our room, so if you get "Ariel", please say hello. She made our stay even more delightful.

Hotel Monaco? Recommended with no hesitation whatsoever. But, that's how I feel about every Kimpton property I have visited.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple