“Great stay!”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed two nights on business, including using a meeting room, in July 2014. Hotel is tucked into a charming part of the city and it's easy to walk anywhere. They conveniently provide umbrellas in the closet of each room (which didn't help me when I left it in my room one evening!). This is a pet-friendly hotel but you'd never know it. I had a king room which was a little small but since it was only me in the room it made no difference. Bathroom layout was a little odd, but very tastefully done and included a shelving unit where I could place all my things. Conference room and food were very good. If in Alexandria on business or for vacation, I would definitely stay here again. Very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear cy1229,

Thank you so much, really appreciate the kind words. Great to know that you will come back as well!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Take care,

Matt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,839)

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I recently spent one night at the Monaco in Alexandria and was very pleased with my stay. The hotel is in the perfect location for those looking to explore all that Old Town Alexandria has to offer. From the hotel you can walk to anything and everything you could possibly want to do.

The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The hotel itself is huge but some of the rooms can be small. I ended up in a corner room on the 6th floor. It felt more like an attic room with a tiny little window than a 4 star hotel room but it was a busy Saturday night and I was late to arrive so I understand that I probably didn't get the best of room they had to offer. Surprisingly, the bathroom was almost as large as the room itself. The bed was very comfortable and the room was nice and quiet.

All in all it was a good stay and I would definitely stay here again if I want to be right in the heart of Old Town.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear luxurybargainlover,

Thank you for trying us out for a night! Appreciate your review here as well.

I'm sorry that the room you recieved was a little bit smaller, we are addressing those few rooms with alternative furniture layouts in our upcoming guestroom renovation this winter.

Please do come back, we would love to have you!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

My family and I traveld to the DC area recently and decided to stay at the Monaco mostly due to the location in the middle of King Street. Having never stayed at a Kimpton property before, we were not sure what to expect, but this turned out to be one of our most favorite hotels we have ever stayed at.
The property is a lovely boutique hotel and it is clean, quiet and the staff is polite and very professional. Even though this property allows dogs, and we saw many of them, there was no smell and we heard no barking coming from any other rooms. The lobby is spacious and is a great place to enjoy the free afternoon wine as well as the cookies and treats that are also put out. Our room on the 5th floor was clean and gave us plenty of room to unwind. Some rooms offer small terraces to enjoy a drink or just relax.
We did not eat at the restaurant located next to the Monaco, but rather took advantage of the hotel's great location in the middle of Olde Town. We walked to shops and had a lunch and dinner at places right near the hotel Make sure to check out the Warehouse Bar and Grill a few blocks south of the hotel.
Getting into DC was easy..it was an easy 10 minute walk to the Metro, but there is a free trolley or cab service is the walk is too much.
Wi-fi is free at the hotel if you join the Kimpton loyalty program (which is free) and you also receive a $10 room credit towards anything from the mini-bar as well for joining. Well worth it.
This is a truly outstanding hotel and my wife and my wife and I will be returning as soon as we can to enjoy more of the luxury and service.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear mark3735,

Thank you for this wonderful review! It is so great to hear that you had such a fantastic experience here!

Sounds like you really took advantage of the location and explored the area to the fullest, hopefully there are still a few things left to see that will draw you back soon!

Thanks again and take care,

Reviewed July 15, 2014

First time to Alexandria with the family. Had an absolutely fabulous stay at the Hotel Monaco. Perfect location in the heart of "old town." Easy access to the Mount Vernon Trail system for running/biking. Short metro ride to DC. Great indoor pool for the kids. Great "free wine" happy hour every afternoon for the parents! No complaints at all. Would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in the DC area. All employees were unbelievably friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you aren't traveling with a dog, request one of the "dog-free" floors. (we stayed...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear sportsdoc3,

Thank you for bringing the family and for sharing your comments here! Glad that you enjoyed the complimentary wine hour and that the kids took advantage of our indoor pool as well, hopefully they were around on a Saturday night to enjoy our Dive-in movie!

Take care and safe travels,

Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I always try to stay at Kimpton locations. They are all lovely and unique, and the service is always excellent. The Monaco in Alexandria was no exception.

We stayed in a lovely terrace room (this is a step up, pricewise, from the basic room). We enjoyed the small balcony and had room service deliver breakfast one morning, which we ate outside. This was very convenient- we filled out our request the night before, left it on the door, and were served promptly as requested. Price for the full breakfast (eggs, hash browns, toast, bacon, etc.) was reasonable considering it was room service, and everything was very good.

The room itself was gorgeous. I loved the bathroom. The shower was also good- good water pressure and temperature throughout our stay, an area that many hotels fail miserably in! The bed was well-appointed and very comfortable. Sleep quality was great.

The complementary wine hour from 5-6pm is a nice treat. We had some wine that we thought was quite good.

Front desk staff were courteous and helpful as expected.

The hotel offers a 50% off parking promotion for driving a hybrid vehicle, which we took advantage of.

The location is another great feature of this hotel- walking distance to many nice restaurants, the fountain on King St., the waterfront, ice cream parlors, etc. One caveat here- the walk to the metro is about 15 minutes, and in the heat, I didn't enjoy the walk. The King St. trolley is free and there is a stop just across the street from the hotel- take that to the metro if you can. It doesn't run before 10am, however.

We were not travelling with our pet, but enjoyed seeing other peoples' dogs during our stay. We did have one dog-related incident, however it was handled quite graciously by the staff. Somehow, some dog excrement ended up on our balcony halfway through our stay. I'm not sure if a small dog from a room closeby got through (the balconies are separated by a hard fabric partition, but there is a little space around the sides) or if someone swept it into our porch as they didn't want to clean it up themselves. We may never know! However, we discretely informed the front desk, and they of course had it cleaned up and even left us a nice baked treat and note. I appreciate that the staff was able to handle the situation quickly and with a sense of humor!

Great hotel.. highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank msmileyface

Dear msmileyface,

Thank you for staying with us! I'm glad we lived up to the high Kimpton standards as well!

I am sorry about the incident on your terrace that morning, but thankful that the team was able to handle it quickly and gracefully.

Thank you for all the great comments here, we are very appreciative of your business!

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Even though I was staying on business, my stay was extremely comfortable. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is located in the middle of King Street which is full of history and shopping. Nightly happy hour with wine tasting is also a plus! It is a pet friendly hotel and does not smell like pets at all. I would definitely stay here again for a personal trip!

Room Tip: If you would like full windows, do not stay on the 6th floor. Being inside an old building allows f...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 1982lisadee

Dear 1982lisadee,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent business trip! Really appreciate it, and the fact that you took the time to share these great comments here.

Safe travels, and please come back soon!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We traveled with our 6 and 9 year olds. They loved it because they were provided a pet goldfish during their stay. They loved all the dogs at Happy Hour in the lobby. We enjoyed Happy Hour and the free wine and relaxed atmosphere. The pool was very quiet and retro looking. The courtyard was pleasant and historic. The restaurant next door had a good breakfast menu and the Hotel staff accommodated us by providing some breakfast vouchers. The location is the best part. Right within historic Old Alexandria, all restaurants, ice cream parlours and shops are all within close proximity.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear J R M,

Glad you and the family had such a good time, thank you for staying with us!! The location does work out really well for families on vacation here, as you noted. I hope that you all got to do everything on your list while you were in town!

Take care,