“Very nice, fun hotel, but did not get good rest,walls seem paper thin.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Very nice, fun hotel, but did not get good rest,walls seem paper thin.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We booked this hotel with my Sister and Mother as a fun getaway. We loved the wine social in the afternoon and got some nice tips about where to go to dinner. The staff was friendly and the room very clean. We had a room that connected with another room. In the evening we heard very loud children and parents going to bed. At 6 am, the kids were up in the next room and fussing, talking a bath, etc. It was like they were in the room with us. We did not have a restful sleep. We told the front desk when we checked out and they were nice and did not charge us for the roll away. We had to call up for hot water for tea at night because their is no coffee maker in the room. We did enjoy the breakfast next door with the breakfast vouchers.The location is great, my main complaint is the noise. I would ask for a quiet room if they have any and not connecting to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest room they have, not a connecting room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

The room was great and the hotel staff very helpful. Pet goldfish delivered for the children, plus additional robes. The main drawback was the noise from the next door room, sound through the connecting door I think, mainly on the first night (subsequent occupants were not so vocal). Also no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, although it was available in the lobby. Drinks reception in the evening was good.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

This hotel is typical Kimpton -- great location, great decor, wonderful people. However it fell short of my expectations with regard to the level of service one expects from a Kimpton Hotel --- I had an issue that I addressed with the front desk when I checked in and someone was supposed to get right back to me. They hadn't gotten back to me when I went out to dinner and I stopped at the front desk to inquire and the person that was dealing with the issue had gone. There was a note on my file that they were waiting for a return phone call but I would have expected someone to let me know, not for me to have to inquire. They never ever did get back to me re the issue and I ended up solving it myself. They never followed up and as far as they know it was never solved. Again, something I would not expect at a Kimpton Hotel. I did try to address this by contacting the hotel via email but no one ever responded -- again something I would have not have expected. I also had an extra charge added to my bill after I returned home. It took two calls to the hotel to get that figured out and apparently it was a mini bar charge that was not mine. I was told that it would be subtracted from my account but it hasn't been yet. I will definitely follow up if it is not. And the one other thing is that I have to detract points for cleanliness because there was a lot of dust on the crown mouldings -- I notice these things because I am tall. In the morning there was no free coffee in the lobby -- the pot was empty and I was there for 15 minutes and people kept coming to get coffee and they never filled it. I wouldn't complain about these things if it were any other hotel because you sort of expect this sort of thing but not at a Kimpton where I have always experienced superior service. The service here is definitely off or at least it was the night I was there. Having said all this, I would go back again --- I love Kimpton Hotels and it will take more than one experience like this to make them not be my preferred place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Strongsville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

Beautifully furnished modern hotel, in Oldtown Alexandria! Wine reception was fun, I would say it was the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at. Only downside was the wedding there that night with late night partiers, but not the hotels fault! If I visit again, I will be staying there!

Room Tip: Call in advance, books up quickly on weekends.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stay at the Monaco Alexandria once or twice a year, and I have always had a great experience here, from the doorman to the front desk to housekeeping. I once arrived to find I had no reservation (due to a mistake on the part of the person who booked the room through my employer. Although it was not their fault, the front desk agent was able to find a room for me despite the hotel being very full that week. That was appreciated.

It's a very dog-friendly hotel, with numerous guests arriving with some really beautiful breeds. I've never brought my dog with me, but I enjoy seeing all the dogs around the hotel. It makes the place seem a little more home-like.

The decor is very eclectic and is not your normal pre-packaged hotel design. The beds are quite comfortable, there is a safe in each room (which helps a lot). The hotel is in a great location, with good restaurants, bars, and shopping all around. Very safe area. There's a CVS nearby for forgotten essentials.

I spend much of my life on the road while still trying to maintain some kind of conditioning program, and the gym here is much better than most. There are two treadmills, two elliptical trainers, and a recumbent bike, all good quality with built in TV screens. There is a free-motion dual cross machine that gives you a lot of flexibility in picking weight exercises (it's also very adaptable for those with disabilities and in wheelchairs, I've heard), extra cable handles, some light kettlebells, a bench, and a set of dumbbells up to 25 pounds. There's also a basket of apples and a water cooler in the gym. The gym is connected to a nice swimming pool. At night, one of the guests told me they showed a movie for the kids in the pool which sounds like it would be fun for small children.

The housekeeping was excellent. Everyone, and I mean everyone, on the hotel staff went out of their way to be helpful and friendly.

Very pleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael C
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I booked this hotel through a Travel Zoo deal and I couldn't be happier that I did! The staff is incredibly welcoming and accommodating. The level of service they provide is by far some of the best we have experienced. The difference is in the small detail this hotel offers, for example they had an umbrella in the closet which really came in handy since in rained 2 off the days we were in town. I was also impressed by the door man offering us coffee or tea while we waited for our car in valet, again nothing major but it gave me a good positive lasting impression.

The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The bathroom was very spacious but the doors were a bit strange for my taste. My only complaint is that the desk being right next to the heating/cooling unit made it difficult to work at the desk without getting too cold or hot. I also wish there was somewhere to sit other than the bed or desk chair to watch TV. Small things that are just personal preferences.

The location in Old Town was great an I wish we had a little more time to explore the area. I think I could have spent an entire day walking around the area. We will for sure return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Meanwhile I've stayed in this hotel quite often and each time I'm delighted.
Good help, if needed, by the desk attendees. Whatever choice you make, the room are always very nice and the beds are excellent. This time I had room 628 (one Kingsize bed). I slept like a "king". Wifi is free. just leave your email address. I did have breakfast this time and although we were offered a free drink (cocktail) we did not make us of the bar (there are better places to relax with a good drink). The hotel is fully equiped and has a beautifl entree. The best place to be in Alexandria.

I can certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Dispite the good service, I would go across the street to the "French" breakfast place. Mo...
Green Features: I love to stay in this hotel and the location is excellent and couldn't better.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business