“Beautiful First Class Hotel”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 9, 2014

THe Monaco Alexandria is first class in every way. The front desk staff went out of their way to make sure we were satisfied with our room. Parking is a little pricey, but due to the snow and ice on the streets, it was the best option. The location is right in the center of the historic old town. Planning on returning the next time we visit Alexandria, Va.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Very pleasant hotel, friendly staff, located right in the center of old town. The room was very comfortable and quiet. I liked how the décor reflected the historic nature of the area, and the striking use of color in the lobby was so refreshingly different! Lots of great restaurants and interesting shops within a few blocks, plus near the waterfront.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is a charming hotel in a great location. The lobby and the rooms have the extra personality and fun flavor of a Kimpton without scrimping on the amenities. The room was lovely, the cleaning staff excellent and the location is unbeatable. Be sure and join the in-touch loyalty program for the bennies like a $10 credit to the mini bar and free wi fi. The only thing keeping me from 5 stars was the staff was not able to figure out why the wifi wouldn't work on our iPad. Far from a crisis, but could have been inconvenient if we'd had work to do. Also love the pet-friendly atmosphere and free coffee (am) and wine (pm) in the lobby. You can even request a goldfish to keep you company.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beth2555
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I live in DC and my boyfriend and I chose to get out to Alexandria for a night staycation. When we first arrived and checked-in, Calvin at the front desk was super efficient, helpful, and friendly. Got upgraded from a queen to a king and got two free cocktail coupons. Awesome. The room was quite big for a hotel, but please note that throughout our stay it seemed that the walls and ceilings are pretty thin, because sounds kept waking me up. CO Bigelow bath products are wonderful. Late that night we went to Jackson 20 (the restaurant at the hotel) to use our drink coupons. We had the best experience there. Al was the bartender and was quite the showman and even made us drinks he thought we would like. Felt very taken care of. All the people at the bar were really fun to hang out with too. The next morning we went to order room service, but neither of our phones were working, so I had to call from my landline to the restaurant and then they called us back on the hotel phone. Far too many steps. Boyfriend had the granola (small portion) and I had the BELT (good, but cold). We also ordered coffee, but then realized that the mugs were dirty (see picture below). So those weren't used. Just go to the restaurant instead, will probably get cleaner dishware and warm food quikcer than room service. We wanted to watch House of Cards on Netflix with breakfast, so I called the front desk because we couldn't figure out the Wi-FI. Turns out you don't get free Wi-Fi unless you sign up as a Kimpton Rewards member (free, but takes a while). I don't remember who answered at the front desk, but he was pretty rude when I asked about this. Hung up frustrated but we still tried to sign up. However, the connection to put in e-mail, address, etc. was so slow we just gave up. Overall, we enjoyed our overnight, but it was more the people that made it and not the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eryn C
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Very nice hotel, centrally located, close to downtown DC and major highways. Large, clean, modern rooms. Good restaurant and bar, with food and shopping nearby. Friendly, professional staff. Pet friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

One night stay for a family wedding. Very boutique place. Great shopping and food within walking distance. Super place to stay. Relaxing with all the right touches. Took care of all of our requests. Wine tasting at. Ugly and great coffee in the morning. Very personable place.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We just finished a 7 night stay at the Hotel Monaco. It was my husband and I and our 3 kids (6, 7, and 9). We picked this hotel because of the great reviews and their kid friendly activities--more about that later. When all of their friends are heading south for spring break the kids needed lots of convincing that going to Washington DC was going to be really cool! Seeing pictures of this hotel helped!
Pros--
Rooms and lobby look just like the pictures do. No surprises there. Very funky--loved it!

Staff--doormen and housekeeping staff were wonderful. Requests were taken care of very quickly!

Location--wonderful. In the heart of Old Town. 1 mile to the Metro station. Great way to get some exercise in and you get to walk by neat shops and restaurants. We felt very safe--even at night. Free trolley is also available to take you to the metro station and around Old Town.

Rooms--comfortable. TV is important with kids and they have the Disney station--very important!

Pool--perfect size. Was very warm. 94 degrees the last night we were there. Lifeguard at the pool during pool hours--have never had that before!

Robes--animal print robes for all of us was very cool!

Cons--(many of these are not the hotels fault, just some of the problems encountered when traveling with 3 younger kids)

Fish--the website said you can have a goldfish in your room during your stay. Remember I was really selling this hotel to the kids and they were very excited about this. I asked for the fish when we checked in and she said they were out of them, but during our stay one would probably be available. Every day from returning from our adventures the kids would run to the room to check for the fish, but it never appeared.

Kids Happy Hour--many other reviewers mentioned the wine happy hour in the lobby from 5-6. This was very popular and the lobby was full! They also have a kids happy hour from 4-5. We never were able to attend that because we were out doing things all day and wouldn't get back until later--so they kids were always bummed about that. The hotel may want to think of changing that to later. I know as parent having something to do about 7pm to get them out of the room would be great.

Dive In Theatre--another kid friendly thing is a movie in the pool on Saturday night at 8pm. My kids were so excited for is--we had to rush back from DC to make this! How disappointing to have the movie be Swiss Family Robinson or some older movie and not to have any sound. The kids still enjoyed the warm pool but the movie was a bust.

Pool temps--I have mentioned how warm the pool is--94 degrees two of the nights we were there. But one day when it snowed, the pool was freezing. I think the sign said 82 or 84. I asked the life guard (very nice) and she said the pool is really effected by the weather outside, so colder cloudy day means a cold pool.

Room set up--we had the 2 double beds and were planning on getting a role away bed for one of the kids but were told we couldn't do that due to the fire code. Completely understandable, but a little frustrating, we made our own extra bed with the chair and other things in the room,and that became the "bed" that was fought over. :)

No microwave or "real" fridge--traveling with kids it is nice to have a fridge to store left overs and snacks. The mini bar was the fridge--took things out of it and used it, but small. Microwave would have been nice to reheat meals b/c youngest son eats almost nothing and is hungry 30 min. later. :)

Kimpton perks program--we were never asked when we checked in if we were members. I had signed up previous to our arrival. I forgot about it and went and told them the next day. Upon check in never mentioned wifi--no big deal, just glad I read about it.

Room location--our room was the very last room at the end of the hall right next to the housekeeping room and what sounded like lots of washing machines. Not sure if we were put here b/c they were anticipating loud kids (then they were right!!),or if these are rooms you get if you book thru Priceline. Really wasn't a big deal for us--we got used to the noises, but if it was just my husband and I the noise would have driven me crazy.

So overall, the Hotel Monaco was great. Would recommend it for a girls weekend and definitely for a couples get away. I don't know if I would do a week with the kids again--but not the hotels issue--just the nature of the 5 person family.

Thank you Hotel Monaco for a nice week.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family