“Great Location, Kimpton Service”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Solana Beach, California, United States
“Great Location, Kimpton Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Located in old Alexandria, the hotel is walking distance from many attractions and (more importantly) restaurants.
Kimpton service is fantastic - friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable staff.
Room was very comfortable. I normally don't sleep well in hotels, but for some reason I got a great night sleep every one of the three nights I spent there.
Gym is small, but modern, and if you like to swim there is a large heated indoor swimming pool.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Noam Z
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Naom Z,

Thanks for making us your hotel choice in Old Town Alexandria! We very much appreciate your business, and the wonderful comments here regarding your stay.

Glad that the location worked out great for your needs!

Safe Travels,

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Last year, my husband and our children stayed at the Hotel Monaco during the Scottish Christmas Walk. The hotel fell short when we attempted to use the pool because it was unbearably cold. This year we stayed again for the same reason. Thankfully, the pool was well heated. Yes, the decor doesn't mesh well with Old Town charm, but it was nonetheless festive for the season. If you plan to stay here for any holiday, make reservations well in advance. Another thing to keep in mind, this is a dog friendly hotel. The biggest compliment I can give is that the staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the set of elevators for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Shawn M,

Thank you for coming back to give us a second try! I'm glad that the pool worked out well for you this year, and really appreciate the kind words about the staff - they truly are the best!

Have a great New Year's and we will save a spot for you next December!

Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I love Kimpton hotels. Seriously, I do. I stay in them whenever I can. Mainly because they tend to be a little funkier and they make you feel a little more special. Our party of three arrived to a fun and festive lobby and nicely decorated room. Not your standard décor and that's what we like. We requested fish in the room and that was fun. We had fun with our $10 raid the mini bar credit that you get by joining their loyalty program. Overall, a pleasant visit. The hotel is in a great location and is nice.

The front desk staff here were not very friendly. I'm not sure they even smiled at me. After spending 15 minutes trolling the parking lot for a spot, I ended up arriving in the lobby 3 minutes to late for the 5-6 pm complimentary wine happy hour. When I asked the front desk woman if I was too late for wine, she just sternly said yes and said nothing more. No "Yes, but I can get you a glass of wine if you like" or "Yes, I'm sorry you just missed it. Would you like some sent to your room?" Nothing. The front desk also insisted that I had called the night before to cancel my reservation which I certainly did NOT, but no apologies from them for what I know must have been the hotel's error. I ultimately asked for a glass of wine to be sent up to my room (which I was prepared to pay for) and they later in the evening sent a whole bottle, which I certainly appreciated, though it was too late for me to drink, as we had already gone to dinner. It is possible that the front desk staff were just feeling a little stressed out, as they were fully booked and it was a busy time. Still, a smile would have been nice.
BUT--- Housekeeping was the opposite. A very friendly woman from housekeeping delivered a special something to the two teenage girls in our party and she was the only one to apologize for the accidental cancellation of our reservation.

Dog hair. I know this hotel accepts pets, and I didn't think I minded, but it was kind of gross that the blankets draped at the end of the beds were covered with dog hair. (assorted colors) We removed these blankets and discovered that the white sheet underneath was also covered in dog hair that had rubbed off onto the sheet. I am talking HUNDREDS of hairs, not just a couple stray ones. Twice during our visit, I ended up with a pet hair in my mouth somehow. And while I didn't think I had allergies, I was congested during my visit, thanks to the dander in the room. Perhaps they should keep some rooms pet-free?

Room Tip: Some rooms are right across from the elevator in a large elevator waiting area. This might get loud...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank GNR80
Dear GNR80,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and for providing your feedback here. It is great to hear that you are such a fan of Kimpton hotels and appreciate our unique style/decor.

I'm very sorry for the lack of service you were provided however by our Front Desk team. It is dissappointing to hear that we fell short of our standard on this occasion and we will certainly use your comments to help us be more consistent.

Please accept my apologies for the dog hair found in your room as well, our Housekeeping team is following up on where our breakdown was in preparing your room and working to avoid similar occurences in the future. We do have a Pet Free floor in the hotel, but certainly the other rooms are to be cleaned more thoroughly as well.

Thank you again, we really appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Once again we had a wonderful stay at the Monaco Hotel , in Alexandria, Va. We had the whole family in town . We were greeted like the staff had missed us and were happy we were back !!! We had an incredible brunch at the hotel's restaraunt. Bottomless mimosas were great !! We took pics in front of the fireplace which will probably be use for Xmas. I would like to give a shout out to Milena and Najoua, by way of GI-Gi !!! Thank you !! We will be back !

Room Tip: Any room !!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear bslawzy,

Well, we were happy to have you back!! Seriously though, thank you very much for continuing to chose us when you travel to Old Town Alexandria, we love being a part of your family trip!

Happy Holidays and we wish you the best for the New Year.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

perfect hotel, they have a free happy hour in the lobby, the hotel is dog friendly so kids and dog lovers will have a blast. the location could not be better. great restaurants and sights near by. the rooms were fantastic.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Jonathan W,

Thank you so much for choosing us for your little getaway! Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much, we hope that you will come back again soon!

Take care and safe travels,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I will say this is a very nice property right in the heart of Alexandria. The location made it easy for us to get around the area, and the only downside was that the property was more than just a walk to the Metro. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind with little ones.

While my wife and I loved the room, and the setting in general, but it was not the idea location for a family with an infant or toddler. The property is not large and sprawling, so it made it challenging with a stroller and all the things that the parent of an infant or toddler need. Again, not a big deal, but something to be aware of. We adapt, so we were fine with it.

This hotel is a great location for the single mover, and it is a decent location for the family with little ones. All in all, it was a great stay that I probably would have enjoyed more when my wife and I were dating. Pretty pricey for a family, though. But it was a wedding, so sometimes that makes it all worth it. It is certainly a fun location, with lots to do around the hotel.

It is a dog hotel, so.......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear lammyleap,

Appreciate you staying with us while attending a wedding, and for taking the time to share you feedback here.

Thank you for the kind words regarding the hotel, and we do hope that you will come back whether it is for a getaway with your wife only, or you bring the little one again! Our Kid's hour each weekend, welcome amenities and dive-in movie night are some things that they could certainly enjoy next time!

Take care and Happy Holidays,

Nantucket, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

Great location, excellent amenities, good service, welcoming lobby, dog friendly....easy valet parking....only negative was loud music in the dining room for breakfast...but then perhaps I'm getting old and crabby..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mbsplaine,

Don't be so hard on yourself! That music was way too loud, and I'm only a little bit old and crabby!

Thanks so much for this wonderful review, and for your business. We appreciate both!

Take care and Happy Holidays,