“2 for 2”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was our second time staying at a Hotel Monaco- and it did not disappoint! You can't get a better location in Alexandria. The hotel is in the middle of King Street, which is the heart of the city. There are countless restaurants and shops withing walking distance, starting with directly across the street.
We brought our beagle this time and the staff was very welcoming. The dogs are not only allowed to come down to the wine hour, they're welcomed. It gave us the opportunity to meet other dogs staying in the hotel and strike up a conversation. We also met other guests because they really missed their dogs and wanted to meet ours.
The entire hotel is impeccably clean. There is a beautiful outdoor courtyard (they do weddings there too). We bought drinks from the hotel restaurant and relaxed outside on a beautiful night.
In summary, can't beat the location or quality. Oh, and the price was great too

Room Tip: They offer rooms with outdoor balconies that overlook the courtyard.They have little cafe tables on...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Kelly W,

Thanks for coming back! Glad you enjoyed your second stay as much as your first, and very much appreciate you taking the time to share these wonderful comments here!

Take care and have a great Thanksgiving!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

From start to finish, my experience at the Monaco was delightful. The room was clean, comfortable, and stylish. The lobby was cozy and inviting...helped by the wine reception, no doubt. The front desk staff was so helpful and polite. It was a true pleasure dealing with them.

My only complaint is that I didn't actually get to spend much time enjoying all of the perks since I was in training all day in the city!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you are a light sleeper - we had one that had an exterior foyer with a door...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear raleightrvlr,

Thank you so much for this great review, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and the kind words regarding our hotel!

Look forward to seeing you next time your travels bring you up to the Washington, D.C. area!

Take care,

Reviewed November 16, 2013

What's with the double beds? I love that it gives more space in the room, but even changing to 2 queens wouldn't give up that much space. I am 6' tall as is my husband, so we just don't fit comfortably together in double beds. So, I slept diagonally in mine so my feet were still on the bed & my husband slept in the other.

Staff at check in was very nice, I used valet parking although I am not sure what the cost of that will be when I go to check out later this morning. It's close to everything in Old Town & well-kept. I would recommend it, but I would see about getting a king room if you like sleeping in a bed that has some space in it other than a room that has space (if that makes sense).

I also booked this on hotwire for $100 - so a really nice price for this hotel.

Room Tip: we were in an odd numbered room which is on the King Street side of the hotel. There was a little bi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BethAnnP,

Thank you for the feedback! I'm sorry for the inconveinces due to the bed size. Next time, we will get you in one of our deluxe King Rooms where we have oversized King Beds that are even longer than standard, tons of room to stretch out!

Thank you for your business and hope to see you again soon.

Take care,

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Huge comfortable rooms (two double beds? I should get used to American hotels, but even with two beds there was more than enough room to feel at ease). Great helpful staff (a reservation error meant that I was booked to stay more nights than I was actually there- this was dealt with professionally and very nicely by the staff), a friendly welcome every time you step through the door, free bike hire (do it- Alexandria is nice and flat) and free wine (free wine? Yes, you read right…) The only downside may be the size of the place- the maze of carpeted hotel corridors may remind you of the Overlook Hotel from The Shining...

Room Tip: Seems quiet throughout. But Alexandria is not exactly noisy...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear grooverjlazerus,

Thank you for the kind words and really glad to hear the staff recovered well on our error in your reservation. Not sure there are really any comparisons to The Shining to be made here?! But that's the great thing about social media, everyone is free to express their opinion!

Thanks for taking the time to share yours, and we do hope that you will come back!

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

If your traveling with your canine this is your spot. If you don't enjoy being in a hotel that smells, sounds, feels like a kennel, not for you. First room we were assigned had a urine smell and one small window . The desk staff says" oh yeah, after a rain the top floor gets a smell to it" nice! Ok, so they move us . Next room is great has a fishbowl w a goldfish for the kids. Maybe include some food for said fish. Cause the next day it perished , flush funeral. During our stay they rented the pool to a party of unruly ten year olds , we were allowed to use the shallow end while 20 ten year olds played in the deep end. Another nice! Get that$ kimpton!
Upon checking out was told our parking was 24$ a day. When checking in I was told 12 for over night parking , I assumed that meant the day too ( my bad) . Not that I care about 12 dollars , it's deceit that's enraged me. Just tell people 24$ upfront. Like I'm gonna get the van out at daybreak to save $, um nope.

Location is great, not a 4 star hotel. Not worth 200$ a night. More like 100$. Just saying
I definitely will ask about pet policy from now on , thanks

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Eddieob1

Dear LeeROY BROWN,

Thank you for staying with us on your trip to the Washington, D.C. area, and for taking the time to share your comments here. I apologize for the odor in your first room and the poor response by our team, we will certainly address both concerns internally.

It would have been nice to have had the chance to organize that impromptu party in the pool, but unfortunately, those guests left us out of the planning process too! I know that our team went up there to address it as soon as we were made aware however.

Sorry for the confusion on parking rates as well, our overnight parking is $25 per night which covers you for a 24 hour period. For day use up to 6 hours only (used mostly by locals) it is $10. We will make sure to communicate this better next time.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Sometimes if you're at a mediocre or borderline hotel, the staff can make the experience much more pleasant. Or conversely, the staff at this hotel managed to take mediocre and convince me I don't ever want to come back.

The hotel isn't awful. No coffee maker in the room, no armchair to sit and read in. a mini bar and fridge filled with their items (an expensive) so no room to put your own drink or fruit. The room has a sickly sweet potpurri smell when you enter - I saw a maid spraying something over the carpets when I walked past an open door - but you get used to it. Beds are ok - bathroom is large and roomy. Internet is charged (unless you're a Loyalty member) - solidly in the mediocre level.
But when I arrived the desk personnel were sort of cordial but seriously disinterested. I needed to print one page of directions, so I went in search of the Business Center. Badly marked, but I found it. $7.95 for 15 minutes to use the computer. Did I mention I'm a member of the Loyalty Club? Makes no difference. After ten minutes of trying to figure this out, I went to the desk. Their response - without even a pretense of being interested - was to direct me to a Staples about three long blocks away. When I noted for the record that I have seldom been in a hotel that charged $7.95 to print one page, I was told I could email them my page and they would print it. Of course, that would involve using the computer at $7.95 for 15 minutes.
I ended up writing out the directions by hand.
At that point I was not about to spend money at their restaurant and found a GREAT burger joint. My feelings about this place were such that I even skipped the wine tasting in the lobby. The place has a great location - they just need different people.

Room Tip: Try another hotel? If you are committed to this place, go up, since street noise does come through f...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear RhinoJohn,

Thank you for your business, and for taking the time to share your feedback here. I'm very sorry that we left you with this impression and that we didn't find a quicker and easier solution for your request to have an item printed.

We have a great team here and I know that they can provide you with the level of service that would make you rate this hotel as excellent, you're right that the people make the difference and this team can show you what we are capable of! We would very much like another opportunity to serve you in the future if you are willing to give us another try.

Please email me at your convenience at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com if I may be of assistance to you.

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

We will return to this hotel...absolutely! We were greeted by a warm and friendly front desk. We were a few minutes early and were treated to complimentary drinks in the restaurant while we waited (they also checked our bags). We didn't even need to check on our room as they came and found us when it was ready. Then came one of the best parts....the room! We were upgraded to a huge suite with a dream bathroom! The room was quiet, extremely clean, and very comfortable. We loved the decor...one of our favorite things about Kimptons. It's funky, eclectic, comfortable and non intimidating. We mentioned that we were celebrating the upcoming birth of our child and the room was set with candles, music, chocolate covered strawberries, sparkling cider, baby lotion, and cards from the staff! Cheers to you Kimpton for a very memorable stay!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear slp2003,

Thank you for staying with us and congratulations on the coming baby!! Great to hear the staff did a wonderful job helping you celebrate!

Take care and bring the baby back with you next year!