“Fun Atmosphere and Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Bay Area, CA
“Fun Atmosphere and Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

Just spent three nights here. This was my second stay (was there a few months back in colder weather). The atmosphere and location of the hotel are great. The decorating in the lobby and rooms is festive. The staff are friendly and they try (with a glitch here or there). The beds are comfortable and everything is new, up-to-date, (TVs, internet service, IPod radio, bathrooms) and tastefully luxurious. Having stayed in this hotel in its previous incarnation as a Holiday Inn, one cannot say enough about how fantastic a transformation this is. The one good carryover from the Holiday Inn is the bring-your-dog happy hours they have in the courtyard. Very cute.

Lest this sound too perfect, two areas of warning. First, some rooms can be noisy. This last visit, we changed rooms because the air conditioner made a dreadful racket (and we like our room not that cold). We were moved to another nice room and eventually realized that unfortunately we were behind the elevator bank - which made a clunking noise every time an elevator was engaged (i.e. almost constantly). I strongly recommend avoiding all rooms ending with "10." Another warning - I have yet to hear anybody say anything great about the restaurant. I had breakfast there (OK) and friends who live in the area have been disappointed when they've eaten there. The restaurant atmosphere is dull and sterile compared to the rest of the hotel. (Fortunately, great restaurants are mere steps/blocks away.)

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Noisiness of some rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank relaxandread

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

This hotel used to be a Holiday Inn and was closed for over 1.5 year to turn it into a wonderful Kimpton property. It only re-opened about 6 months ago.

The Kimpton Personal Touch is everywhere to be seen from the choice of colors in the lobby, the awesome decor in the accommodations to the Occitane Amenities in every bathroom.

We booked a King Deluxe through Kimpton's website and received an e-upgrade e-mail which once answered put you on "stand-by" to receive an upgrade at a very reasonable cost upon check-in. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a beautiful Monte Carlo Terrace Room for only $19 per day. Well worth every penny as it showcase an outdoor balcony with patio settee for two, overlooking a beautiful courtyard (14 of these rooms are facing north while 14 are facing south which can be very hot in the summer). We had breakfast to be delivered every morning on our balcony, which was a great way to start our day excursion to Alexandria or Washington.

The concierge staff was most helpful and very knowledgeable of the area, transportation, etc.

We highly recommend this property in Old Town Alexandria. Excellent Service & Staff, Best location in Old Alexandia (only two blocks from the waterfront) and close to the King St metro station (about 10 blocks away). A free trolley ride is also available in front of the hotel to go either way: Waterfront or Metro Station. The hotel also features a complimentary and upon request shuttle service to and from Washington Reagan National Airport.

• Liked — Quality & colors of the furnitures & Occitane amenities
  • Disliked — Everything was perfect!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank OttawaFans
nrsggirl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

My husband and I just returned from our vacation to Washington D.C./Alexandria VA. The Hotel Monaco was the icing on the cake for our entire experience in Alexandria. When we arrived at Reagan National we called the hotel to let them know we had landed and within 15 minutes the hotel's shuttle was there to pick us up. The service we received from ALL of the hotel's employees was exceptional. Everyone from the housekeepers (Monica) to the doormen and all of the knowledgeable concierges (Ben) were a delight to speak with.
The hotel decor is beautiful. I had been afraid, from looking at the pictures online, that the decorations might be a little too "out there", but I was so wrong to have worried.
We had a monte carlo terrace room on the second floor and it was wonderful! The bed was super comfy, the bathroom was well decorated with nice hardware and great L'Occitane products. The patio was large and had a wondeful breeze that we enjoyed every morning. Two mornings I ran across the street to Madeline's to grab breakfast which I brought back to the room and we ate on the patio. We also had Bruegger's (sp?) one morning, and that was also very tasty. We requested turn down service and every evening when we would arrive the bed would be nicely made, the lights dimmed, candies left for us on the bed, and classical music would be playing from the bedside radio/Ipod dock.
Another special treat that the Hotel Monaco gave us was that when it was brought to their attention (by our super-nice housekeeper Monica), that we were just recently married they brought us up a plate of strawberries, chocolates and a bottle of champage.
One of my favorite perks that we enjoyed was the hotel's complimentary "Guppy Love" program! You simply call the front desk and let them know that you would like your "guppy" and they bring you a goldfish in a lovely "bowl" (more like a large vase) and he is your pet for the remainder of your stay. He comes complete with a little "Hello, my name is....." tag. Our little fish Alexander, made it into alot of our hotel photos!!
We did not have a car and used the metro to commute into D.C. everyday and see the sights. We would take the free King Street Trolley from our hotel to the metro station at the end of King Street. We loved the metro and thought that it was such a simple and affordable way to get around the city!
We never had any problems with our airconditioner, although I know from reading reviews that many people have had issues. We kept our thermostat set at 70 and we never had to touch it!
We highly reccomend the Hotel Monaco and can't wait to go back!

• Liked — the wondeful service and location
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything I didn't like...room service was kind of pricey
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

We blocked off a bunch of rooms for my family to stay here for our wedding. I also stayed here with my bridesmaids in the Meditteranean Suite with an adjoining Double Deluxe Suite. I highly recommend this room for a bridal party, lots of space and light. Overall the Hotel is beautiful. Benjamin at the front desk is wonderful, he brought me and one of my bridesmaids a complimentary bottle of wine while we were waiting for the room to be ready. The only issues we had were with the air conditioning. It was like a sauna in the hotel. My mother-in-law had to move rooms 4 times. The hotel was running on a back up generator all weekend so it was all you could hear from one of the rooms she was placed in. There were also some billing issues, she was billed twice for her room. Also, my one bridesmaid was checking into her room, and they put her in a room that was already occupied. But, the hotel was nice enough to refund her some money as an apology. It's a new hotel so I'll give them some slack, they need to work out some kinks, but overall it was beautiful and I'd recommend it.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bloomfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

I attended a small conference in June (about 75 people) and we stayed at the Monaco. Overall I was very pleased. The rooms were nicely appointed, although they are still working on the air conditioning. One friend with no AC had to call maintenance at ten o'clock at night - but they did come up immediately and fix it. At one point a number of us on one floor had to go back to to the front desk - none of our keys worked and we had to get them reprogrammed. Other than that, it was a great place to stay. Conference food generally isn't all that great (they don't call it rubber chicken for nothing) but at the Monaco the food was very good.

Service was excellent - everything clean. They did have a big generator parked on the street to supplement the A.C. going around the clock (Diesel fumes and noisy) but they were almost done with their repairs and it should be gone soon. Next time, if these are fixed I'd easily give it a 5!

I could easily see staying there on a vacation - it is right in the center of a lot of Old Town locations and they even have a free shuttle too and from the hotel.

Stayed June 2008
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 9, 2008
Hello Gibsonjunkie.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. It is a great way for us to gain valuable insight as to how we are doing. I am glad that you enjoyed your conference. I am happy that you enjoyed the food and that the staff went out of the way to provide excellent service.

Do come again! Thank you and have a great day!
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco for two nights in June 2008, part of a whirlwind girls' week vacation. Although there were a few bumps in the raod, we were overall so pleased with our stay that we will likely be staying at any and every Kimpton hotel available from now on.

The hotel itself opened only this year in an existing facility in Old Town, on the next block from City Hall and three blocks from the waterfront. This location puts it in the heart of Alexandria's most beautiful area, but it does present some difficulties. First, it is 12 blocks to the nearest Metro station, King Street. The hotel offers a shuttle at some times of the day, and there is a free King Street trolley that you can pick up every other block, not to mention the public buses, so it is possible to get around. However, if you plan to spend most of your time in DC, and don't want to have to rent a car and pay parking fees, I recommend staying instead at a Kimpton hotel inside DC. That said, we had no set plans and were quite happy to spend much of our time wandering in and around the hotel's area, shooting photographs, eating at local restaurants and cafes, and even singing karaoke at a nearby bar.

The interior of the hotel is one of its main drawing points. There is no sense of formality here. The lobby is a powerful electric blue, with accents of red and green, and set off by a yellow fireplace that appears to have a cheetah print painted on it. It is classy, yet fun and unusual in the staid historic district. Upstairs, the halls are done in red and black with crown moulding and trim that is very classy. The third floor indoor pool is spectacular, if a little cold, with comfortable lounge and arm chairs and the most wonderful beach towels I've ever felt. It almost has a spa feel to it. The adjoining fitness center is not particularly large but does have an assortment of machines and weights. The fitness center is open 24 hours, but I was disappointed to find the pool wasn't open until 10 am and then closed sometime before midnight. I wanted an early swim before heading out for the day.

As for the rooms, ours had two double beds that were some of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. They were covered with down duvets and an assortment of pillows. In addition to the two beds there was a desk and ergonomic chair, a very nice armchair, and a waist-high cabinet that housed the minibar and mini fridge. Atop the cabinet was a flat-panel TV with all the usual hotel trimmings, cable TV, pay movies, etc. The hotel also offers free internet access, which we used and found to be easy to set up and relatively fast. We were also welcomed to our room with a hand-written note and a plate of fresh berries and rich chocolates. The bathroom was well outfitted with L'Occitane products, a regular hair dryer (not one of those wall-attached units), and a wide, deep tub that included one of those outward-rounded shower rods to expand the shower space behind the curtain. All of the lights had dimmers. Hot water was fast and in abundance, and the shower head had an adjustable flow. The towels, like those at the pool, are the softest, thickest, most absorbent towels you will ever use. Bavk in the room itself, our two windows looked out on King Street below and down toward the water.

The hotel services are what really set this hotel apart from others. Every person working in the hotel was ready and willing to help, offer suggestions, and accommodate our needs at any moment. The housekeeper stopped us in the hallway to ensure that we were satisfied with our room cleanup. The concierge himself brought us silverware when we forgot to bring some back with us from an outside restaurant. Guest services brought us extra towels within minutes of our request. The front desk clerk helped us find the karaoke bar we wanted and arranged our shuttles. We opted to bring our own luggage downstairs at checkout, yet as we stepped off the elevator a passing housekeeper leaped to action and helped bring one of our larger bags to the front door. At no time did anyone seem put out or make us feel like we were imposing on them. Everyone smiled, greeted us, made conversation, and in general made us feel at home. There was some work going on in rooms on our floor (which at no time caused us any noise or inconvenience) and even the workers were friendly and ready to help out.

Finally, there are the two touches that made this hotel fun and unique. First were the robes in the room. Not your typical white hotel robes, these: One was zebra print and the other was leopard print! There was even a small leopard print one for a child. They were thick, plush, warm, and a lot of fun to wear around the room or down to the pool. The other unique touch was the turndown service. They don't just turn down your cover and put a chocolate on your pillow here: they fluff the pillows and arrange them upright, dim the lights, play classical music on the (iPod-ready) clock radio, and put a jawbreaker and smarties candies beside the pillows.

We had a lot of fun in our two days at the hotel, and we will definitely stay with Kimpton hotels again. However, there were some problems that others should be aware of.

First, we flew into Dulles, and there is no hotel shuttle to or from this airport. So we managed to get ourselves to the King Street metro, expecting to call the hotel for their local shuttle once we arrived there. However, the phones for the entire Kimpton company were apparently out that day. We weren't aware of the free King Street trolley at the time and we couldn't afford a taxi, so we wound up dragging our bags the 12 blocks to the hotel in 90-degree heat. Not an auspicious beginning.

I've already mentioned the hours for the pool, which I found inconvenient. The television, which I assume was satellite TV, had trouble maintaining a clear signal. At one point I also had the remote control so mixed up I couldn't get it to function, although it somehow reset itself after a few minutes. The restaurant downstairs I found to be overpriced: $11 for two eggs at breakfast?? Finally, as I mentioned before, the accessibility to DC is limited if you don't have a car, so be prepared.

Beyond these caveats, however, I was generally more than pleased with the hotel and service and highly recommend it. We caught a morning shuttle from the hotel directly to Reagan Airport, where we were picking up a rental car for the next leg of our trip, and the ride was smooth and much easier than our disastrous arrival on the metro. However, like the shuttle to King Street, I believe the Reagan shuttle runs at only certain times of day and should not be counted on before speaking with the front desk.

• Liked — The friendly staff and the unique decor/spirit of the hotel.
  • Disliked — The limited shuttle and pool hours.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank brightredink
Hello Brightredink.

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco during your recent trip to Alexandria. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Our location is certainly a plus as we are conveniently located in the heart of Old Town off King Street. I am glad that you liked the interior of the hotel and also the room. Finally, I am so glad that the staff of the hotel really made a point of helping and assisting you with all your requests. It is the service that really makes a guest feel comfortable.

I do hope that you will come and stay again! Thank you and have a great day!