“Kimpton's Jewel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Kimpton's Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Perfectly located in walkable Old Town in Alexandria, VA, this property caters to all of their guests. They presented a live "gold fish" to my 5 year old great niece & called her Princess every time they saw her - she was in Heaven! Service is outstanding, happy hour is wonderful and did I mention their "doggy happy hour" ?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Lois O,

It's important to keep the kids happy, isn't it! Thanks so much for taking the time to share these wonderful comments and for bringing your family to stay with us. I'm really glad that you all enjoyed the hotel and your time in Old Town Alexandria.

Take care,

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels in many parts of the world but I always look forward to going back to the Kimpton Monaco. The lobby and rooms are electic, warm and welcoming. The complmentary lobby wine hour is a great way to end a busy day. The rooms are impecablly clean and well decorated. The staff are genuinely interested in your well being. Always attentive and polite and always willing to assist. This is truly a home away from home, not sterile and basic like most 'corporate' hotels.

Room Tip: I stayed in a small suite in room 503. It had a huge and a I mean huge spa for two plus a large walk...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Canada8160
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Canada8160,

Thank you so much for the kind words! It really is apprecaited especially from a seasoned traveler such as yourself.

We strive to stand apart from your normal hotel experience, both in the decor/vibe of the hotel, and the personalized service from our staff. Thanks for sharing that we have succeeded in your experience!

Take care and see you soon,

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a pretty hotel, typical Hotel Monaco decor that I've seen in other cities. It's a great location in Old Town Alexandria, close to shopping, restaurants, the river. Warning: no hotel shuttle for late arrivals from the airport, which is a bummer because DC taxi drivers love to rip you off (as I was). You can take the metro from the airport to King Street Station. There is a free trolley that picks you up and can deposit you right in front of the hotel, but the trolley only runs limited hours, so for late arrivals or early flights, you're stuck with a taxi.

My room was beautiful & spacious. The bed was horribly lumpy & saggy--time for the hotel to change mattresses. Wireless internet was fast. The lone window in the room is tiny and difficult to get a view of anything unless you're six feet tall.

The staff was nice, but just not up to part with the usual Kimpton grace & can-do-anything-for-you attitude that I've found at so many other Kimpton properties. The doorman was often too busy chatting away with his cab driver friends to bother opening the door for you. Or stood inside the lobby and greeted you hello as you struggled with your bags coming in or going out. No bellman that I could find.

I do like that this is a pet-friendly hotel and has free wireless for Kimpton loyalty program members. I don't like that there is no in-room coffee service. The first thing I want when I wake up is coffee, but the last thing I want is to go downstairs in my robe with my morning breath & crazy hair to the lobby to go get it.

Overall, the hotel is beautiful and nicely appointed, but the service is a bit lacking. I belong to both Kimpton and Starwood loyalty programs, so next time I might choose a Starwood property instead.

Room Tip: ask to be away from the elevator & the ice machine. you can hear everything through the door.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank jeaniebeanie74
Dear jeaniebeanie74,

First of all, great pic for your TripAdvisor account - love it!

More to the point however, thank you for staying with us and for sharing your commets here. We are fortunate to have a great hotel in a fantastic location, and we just upgraded our wifi bandwith and speed, glad you noticed!

I'm really sorry however, that the staff did not stand out as we strive to do. This is such an important part of who we are and we will make sure to use your feedback as motivation to be more consistent.

Please do try us again when you come back this way, we will show you what we are capable of and I will make sure a coffee maker is in your room!

Thanks again,

Lompoc, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have stayed at this property before..yet they ever cease to charm me. From the $10 raid the mini-bar coupon...to the coffee in the lobby in the morning, Hotel Monaco get the job done and delights you in the process. Yoga girl finds a great mat in her room as part of turn down service. Ask for coffee in the room...and they deliver. The bar is a surprise unto itself. The lobby area is inviting and eclectic. The front desk is a breeze...and sometimes that is all that a tired traveler needs. Skip the chain and stay here...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear TravellingPrincess,

Thank you! What a great testament to the unique and personal experience we work to provide for all of our guests!

Safe travels and hope to see you again soon!

Hedgesville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Spent two nights at this hotel (9/6 and 9/7). It is a wonderful hotel, and convenient to restaurants, shops and the water taxis on the Potomac River. The room was very well appointed and clean. The front desk staff, especially Rachel, went out of her way to accommodate our every need. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay at this property again. The free wine served every afternoon is certainly a nice touch.

Room Tip: Rooms facing inner courtyard would be quieter than street side rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Carol G,

Thank you fo recognizing the excellent service Rachel provided, we will certainly congratulate her on a job well done!

Glad you enjoyed your stay, please come back soon!

Take care,

Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Hotel Monica in Alexandria VA is a small hotel but very nice. It is at the Potomac end of old town. It has very reasonable rates for larger, clean rooms. I've had more comfortable beds but this was good. There's a pool and fitness center, business center and nice gastropub-like restaurant. Complementary wine each evening.

Dear ValenciaDave,

It's great to be the subject of your first hotel review! I'd say you did a great job by the way!

Thanks very much for staying with us, we appreciate your business.

Safe Travels,

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed at the Monaco while attending a conference in DC. There were 2 huge downsides:
- The room had a sour, musty smell - seemed like the A/C had leaked and left that awful smell. I should have asked for a new room at that point, but I was already super busy with the conference and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
- On my last night I discovered a huge COCKROACH on my wall. I killed it, and it was the only one I saw, but it was really disturbing.

I wish I could be leaving a better review - I heard great things about the hotel, and besides those two issues everything was nice. The bed, for what it's worth, was one of the most comfortable beds I've slept on in awhile.

Room Tip: The 6th floor rooms have tiny windows - I'd avoid them. And don't stay in room 621.
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank katezim
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Katezim,

Thank you for staying with us while traveling to our area, and for alerting us of these issues in your room. I'm very sorry that the room was in this condition when you arrived, and that you found a cockroach during your stay. We have taken the room off market in order to properly address both issues.

I regret that this was your experience at our hotel, and have sent you a private email to appropriately compensate you for this. Please do consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.