The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
1,894 results
All reviewshotel monacowine houranimal print robesold town alexandriaking streetkimpton hotelsa pet friendly hotelmini barattached restauranthappy hourcomplimentary winevalet parkingtorpedo factorythe location is perfectfree trolleyfew blockswonderful hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Old Town Alexandria is a charming palce to be. Whether you are here for business or simply need a good jumping off point for touring the DC area, this area is perfect. This property is right in the middle of an overwhelmingly large amount of shopping and dining experiences. You're about a 25 minute drive into DC (accounting for traffic) and you have access to Metro. Now, for the downside: overall, I felt like this hotel was overpriced when compared with other Kimpton properties that I have stayed in and in relation to the overall value I felt I received. The walls were thin and it was easy to hear the TV from the other room. Noise from the street was not an issue. The lobby was small and got crowded very quickly with people coming and going. You do not want to spend any time there because it feels crowded. The room needed a little bit of work and could have been dusted a lot better. There's nothing really wrong with this hotel but there's also nothing really great. Other than the doormen, there weren't really any staff members who I felt went out of their way to make me feel welcome. Don't get me wrong, if you stay here, you won't wind up with a dirty room or unsafe environemnt. Your room will be clean (except for possibly dust) and you will be pleased with the location. However, I can't help but think that there are better values out there for what you are paying and what you are receiving.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Kkw83,

Thank you for trying us out, and for your honest feedback here. We do appreciate your business and know that value is an important determining factor when selecting a hotel, as is the service you are provided.

I'm dissapointed to hear that apart from the doorman the staff didn't stand out, that is our strength for sure and we need to be consistent with it. Sorry to hear that noise from the adjoining room was a nuisance as well.

Please consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future, and reach out to me personally so I may assist with reservations and provide you the best rate possible. My email address is matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I, along with our dog Allie spent last weekend at the hotel and we totally enjoyed our stay. The staff were gracious and helpful.

Our room was quite nice and we loved the dogie bed, bowls and treats. As a dog owner, those pet friendly hotels usually charge a fortune for your dog and give you the worst room; not here, as I felt we were regular guests but with a dog.

We would recommend this place and hope to return soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear DebraAnnVit,

So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for choosing us!

Come back, with Allie, anytime!

Take care,

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was really looking forward to our visit to our favorite coastal city, and after very careful consideration, chose this hotel based on the photos, location, and reviews especially since my mother was travelling with us. Before this trip we always stayed in DC and came here on the metro. I thought my mother would enjoy Alexandria rather than the big city. We arrived on a rainy day and it was horrible trying to get a spot to park in front just to check-in. I had to run in as my husband double parked. The lobby was very dark and oppressive. It didn't appear that way in the photos. My first, second, and every impression during our stay I thought the staff at the front desk was stiff and snobby. The doormen and the maids were very friendly and helpful, however. But then they are working for tips. I was disappointed there wasn't anyway to make hot water for my mother for her nightly tea. I would be charged for hot water to be brought to our room. Very disappointing. For a high end hotel, the walls were very thin. For two nights in a row around 3:00 am, we could hear the couple next door talking, and even worse and embarrassing for me because my mother was with us, engaging in amorous activities, if you know what I mean! I had to turn on the a/c to hide the noise. As a warning, the restaurant next door ( Jackson 20) does not open for breakfast until 8. Not good on check-out day, when you want an early start. I will do more research next time we stay in town, but at least I can cross off both Klimpton hotels off my list.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank marianne s

Dear marianne s,

Thank you for staying with us while visiting the area, we appreciate the business and apologize the stay did not live up to your expectations. I especially regret to hear that the service levels were not consistently high throughout the hotel, please accept my apologies.

If you would like to provide us another opportunity to serve you, please reach out to me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I will be happy to assist.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here recently for our 10-year anniversary and were a little disappointed. The parking lot was full (and warning - self-park is the same price as valet, $25 a night). My husband had made a point to tell them it was our anniversary and I think he was disappointed there was no acknowledgment from the front desk person (or in any other way). We were originally sent to a room that was large and well-appointed, but smelled very odd and had two double beds, though our reservation had promised a Queen. We went back down and showed them our confirmation email, but it took them quite awhile to find a new room and it was much smaller than the previous one. The jovial doorman was the most courteous person we encountered there. I have come to expect more from the Kimpton brand, but perhaps it was just an off weekend for them?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear MaryEliseM,

Thank you for celebrating your anniversary with us on your staycation to Old Town Alexandria! I'm very sorry that our team did not better recognize your special occasion, we typically have fun helping our guests celebrate and I regret that we missed this opportunity.

We certainly can do better, please consider coming back and giving us another try soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel is located a couple blocks from the water front. When we checked in, I asked for a quiet room, without barking dogs, away from elevator and ice machine. We had a room with a terrace. When we got to our room, we were next door to the ice machine. Yes, you can hear the machine if someone gets ice. We immediately went back downstairs to change rooms. They evidently found me a room away from an ice machine, but had to move people around who had not checked in yet. They removed some food from the room right as we were going into the room. Very tacky on their part, as another person came by and asked for the food also. We told them someone else picked it up. Management should train the people better, as this did not give a good first impression with this hotel, I felt they wanted me to be happy I got a room, since they had two weddings this weekend and were really busy. The terrace was nice to sit outside and enjoy watching a wedding take place or eat breakfast in the morning. We got free parking for knowing the secret password when we checked in. Go down early for a seat for the wine reception as it gets really busy and seating is very limited for the number of people who show up. Will try another Kimpton Hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear vacationlady1,

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to share your comments here. I agree that we did not handle your check-in process appropriately, please accept my sincere apologies.

Please reach out to me directly if I may be of personal assitance in the future, my email address is matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and it would be my pleasure to help.