“Nice hotel, great location”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Monaco is located right in the heart of the action on King Street, plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. The hotel itself is clean and comfortable with friendly and inviting staff. Perfect hotel for a visit to Alexandria.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sunshinedaydream1
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear sunshinedaydrea...,

Thank you for this review! We appreciate your busines and the kind words about our team and location - we are fortunate on both fronts!

Thanks again,

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Let me first start off by saying that this is my first hotel review EVER. I normally don't ever review hotels or rate them, as everyone has a different level of expectations when they head out for their adventures in travel. But after seeing some crappy reviews on here about this hotel, I feel it necessary to add my two cents.

My husband and I are both from Northern VA and we now live in the Dallas area. This doesn't however stop us from making our bi-annual trips back home. After many years of floating around to family member to crappy hotel back to a different couch, I opted to find a hotel that I am comfortable calling "base camp". Well ladies and gentlemen, this is it.

Let me clear up a few things here. Anyone that is well versed in travel knows that if you are a clean freak, ask for clean, fresh linens upon arrival. Pretty simple right? You'd think, but people are constantly posting iPhone shots of dirty linens. That box that asks about "Special Requests" when booking online… just ask for clean linens! Problem solved. Personally, I've NEVER had a dirty room here.

Next gripe… If you hate animals, or have a complaint about dog hair, Kimpton isn't your place to hang. Especially the Monaco! They have an awesome Yappy Hour for guests and locals and I see people complain about this! This is awesome in my opinion! It give guests a chance to let their dogs out of the hotel room and be a little less stressed on their travels, plus as a dog owner, it gives me the chance to run around getting as much puppy love as I possibly can because I terribly miss my furry family when I'm on the road. If you really want a better way around this, instead of complaining about it via online, just request a room on a pet-free floor. They have those believe it or not. Problem solved, again.

In terms of the staff: THEY ROCK THE PARTY. This hotel runs around major events. Weddings, corporate meetings, dinner receptions, etc. People get busy. They get in the weeds and need time to catch up. As a former service industry worker, I think people need to get off their needy high-horse and take a closer look at what is going on around you. There are so many "behind the scenes" moves being made that yes, they may need to take a phone call over catering to your need for a room service menu or ice may be pushed back a bit. I've had instances where I couldn't be taken care of right away, but that happens. A little understanding and compromise goes along way people. And who knows what being nice to someone that serves your food might get you… better yet, what being a jerk to them will get you.

In terms of staff: Jacob, Marina, Jennifer, and I know I'm forgetting many others, I'm sorry! As well as the awesome GM Matt, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love your hotel and everything you all have to offer there at the Monaco. Rooms are always exceptional, I'm always taken care of like I'm the only person there, you've dealt with me and my room service surprises for my husband all the way to giving my niece and nephew goodie bags, gifts to take home and BOTH of them a companion fish for their stay (without having to even ask).

Alexandria Monaco will ALWAYS be the first and only place to stay for me. You're selling yourself short anywhere else. One small tip: Sign up for the InTouch program. It's free, and will get you free things in return. See you guys in September!

Jami Cumberland
Inner Circle Member

Room Tip: They have great Spa rooms for romantic times. Famlies would benefit from the lofts as they has some...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jami C
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Ms. Cumberland,

Do we have the best guests ever or what?! I mean really, this is way above and beyond the call of duty, thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! You are awesome and we all appreciate having you stay with us whenever you are in town.

Thanks again and safe travels!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently stayed 2 nights at this property while visting Old Town. The location cannot be beat, it is close to (in the center of ) shopping and restaurant row. It is a quick stroll from the Potomac and Founder's Park. The staff is courteous, although I must admit I had a little trouble understanding some of the staff because of a combination of their soft voices and accents. My room was VERY far from the elevator (room 252), and although it was small, it was very clean and comfortable for one person. I found the staff to be helpful and courteous. Lots of dogs- don't come here if you object to that!

Room Tip: Some rooms are a long walk from the elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank anitabee

Dear anitabee,

Thank you for staying with us, glad to hear you enjoyed your stay overall! It is a great location to explore Old Town Alexandria for sure, although I'm sorry you had a long walk back to your room from the elevator after walking around town all day.

Take care and please come back again!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hubby and I needed a getaway. Alexandria was just far enough to work for us (we live in Baltimore).

The Moncao is very nice, but the building and facilities are just a bit too "old money" for my taste. They mean it when they advertise as being "dog friendly" - avoid this hotel if you're allergic or afraid of dogs. The weekend we were there, nearly all of the people in town seemed to be walking a dog (or dogs).

Our 2nd floor room was at the far end of a very long dark hall, around a corner, at the end of THAT hall. The king size bed was SO comfortable!! There was a comfy chair and big desk plus the usual dresser and TV. There was plenty of room to walk around. Another plus.

Real glass glasses in the bathroom and main room! Oh, my gosh that is such a huge plus! I detest the plastic wrapped plastic cups that hotels seem to use now. There were two plush bathrobes in the closet. A nice touch.

The balcony overlooked the center courtyard, with a table and chairs. However, there was wrought iron bars dividing one balcony from the next one. It would be awkward if next door neighbors decided to sit out there at the same time. So much for privacy.

We stopped into the lobby for the Friday wine tasting. The lobby was crowded with people,including children and dogs. There was a woman pushing a fussy toddler in a stroller in laps around the lobby (she passed us three times). Wedding (reception) guests were also part of the crowd. We had one glass of wine, then escaped to Jackson 20. The wine tasting would have been so much nicer if it were held in the courtyard, I think.

We really didn't spend much time in our room, opting for walking around Old Town and stopping in some of our old haunts from when we were dating (I grew up in Alexandria). The Monaco is convenient walking to both the waterside and up toward Washington St, the more recently revitalized part of town.

We had one disappointing issue: We decided to indulge in breakfast via room service (we've NEVER ordered room service). We filled out the order card and hung it on our door as instructed. We even set our alarm so we wouldn't be dead asleep when it arrived.In the morning, But, 30 minutes after our requested delivery time, my husband looked out in the hall, thinking that maybe our breakfast had been left outside the door. The order card was still on the doorknob. No one ever picked up the card.

We got dressed to go get breakfast. I grabbed the card and stopped at the front desk. The concierge said that they had been running late with room service (she totally didn't get that no one picked up the card), and that we were welcome to have breakfast on the house in Jackson 20. So that was a win for us. We chose to sit outside... hmmm. There were a LOT of people out walking their dogs and kids, etc. the restaurant is next to the main entry of the hotel. A gaggle of older ladies parked themselves on the sidewalk right in front of our table and proceeded to catch up on their lives. I wanted to shoo them away. Our breakfast was quite tasty (I'll review the restaurant separately).

We used the valet parking service, and except for desk staff, I didn't see any other hotel staff while we were there.Talk about low key. I liked the location, handy to Old Town, but I wasn't thrilled with the dogs. So I'm not sure if we'll revisit the Monaco.

Room Tip: Choose a "non-dog floor"
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pam F

Dear Sirabi,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, your detailed feedback is so valuable to us and we really apprecaite it. Glad to hear that the Front Desk team comped your breakfast after we missed picking up your room service door hanger, please accept my apologies for that error.

I like your idea of shifting the complimentary wine hour out to the Courtyard when we have the opportunity, I'm going to try that soon actually!

Thank you for your business, and we do hope you will give us another try. My email is matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com if you would like to reach out to me directly and I can assist with reservations.

Thanks again,

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Excellent location for Old Town overnight visitors. Great bar, lots of restaurants close by, pet friendly, almost too many dogs.
Only complaint is they ran
out of coffee@ 8:00 in the lobby.
Besides that no complaints great bathrooms, nice beds.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank ksdkjlm

Dear ksdkjlm,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments here, we apprecaite it! Glad you enjoyed the location, and the bar of course! Hope you come back soon.

Thanks,

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Great location however there are several major issues with this hotel. First dont drop anything and then look under the bed. This not a clean hotel. We had several rooms rented for a family wedding. The rooms are not clean. They smell of dog urine and if you look under the bed you will see enormous amounts of dog hair and dander. Second issue is the lack of service. The front desk would rather talk on the phone than help those customers waiting in line. It was irritating for everyone in line. It was midmorning and there were three in the back and one at the front desk. Also the conciere only knows of one restaurunt for breakfast. He needs to walk down King street as it is full of great places to eat. Unless you enjoy sleeping in dog hair and urine, you may want to reconsider.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank joseph4040
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Joseph4040,

Thank you for staying with us this past weekend, although I am very sorry that this was the impression you were left of the hotel. Obviously we take great pride in providing outstanding service and clean, comfortable rooms, I regret that you feel we failed on both accounts.

Please reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss this further, my email address is matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com, I would be happy to help.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Loved this hotel! The service was outstanding and the room was unique and everything we wanted. The location was walkable to Old Town and the free trolley got us to the metro in minutes.
Of course the complimentary wine tasting was a plus. We met interesting people both nights of our visit. Stay here when going to Alexandria!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Kathy53Usa,

Thanks for the review and the recommendation! Love it!

Glad you enjoyed your time here, thank you for staying with us.

Safe Travels,