“Posh vibe” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle
“Posh vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed four nights for business then extended for one extra because of the great location and convenience. The room was ample with a geometric decor that was unusual and fun - maybe not how you'd do your house, but fun for a change of pace. The lobby is smaller than what you'd expect, but it worked because of lots of comfy chairs, newspapers and coffee in the mornings, and wine and beer for a 5-6 PM happy hour. The space they saved they dedicated to customer satisfactiion: roomy pool area with lots of lounge chairs, a bank of elevators (you never wait more than a minute or se for an elevator) enough space in the room for two people to set up laptop working areas. Staff were cheery and responded quickly to our small requests (extra hangers, etc.) and gave good recommendations on places to eat. We walked throughout Alexandria and walked the twelve or so blocks to the Metro to go to downtown D.C. Parking is available but we didn't use it. Some minor criticisms are that the bathroom was cramped for two people, the life guard at the pool seemed cranky, and they welcome dogs - lots of dogs. We have a dog tho we didn't bring it, but for some reason the numbers of dogs tarnished the posh image a bit for me.

Room Tip: We had the fifth floor, front of the hotel, dogs present - but it was still quiet. Heavy curtains a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Laura R
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Laura R,

Fantastic that you liked the hotel so much you ended up staying an extra night on your own! Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback on the cranky lifeguard as well, I'll be sure to address that.

Take care,

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Dumfries, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

This is our second 4th of July at this hotel. We walk the three short blocks to the dock for the fireworks cruise, then just walk back to the hotel after. It makes for a great mini getaway. The hotel staff is always very friendly and welcoming, and we like the hotel decor and ambience - very upbeat. Yes, lots of dogs, and that is fun - all of Old Town is like that,with water bowls set out in front of a lot of shops and restaurants. Our King Deluxe was very comfortable and classy, the bathroom plenty big for the two of us, and all so tastefully decorated. We were pleasantly surprised to find wine, cheese and crackers waiting for us, complements of the hotel. We are big coffee drinkers, especially in the morning - there is no coffee maker in the room, but it's available in the lobby. The location of this hotel can't be beat, right in the middle of Old Town and a short two-block walk to the waterfront, with lots of nice shops and restaurants all around. We will be back on July 4, 2014!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank loriannkb
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here with my fiance for one of our friend's wedding. The wedding was held at the hotel and it was absolutely beautiful! However, our room was very disappointing. The bathroom was nice, but the room was a little small. What was really disappointing was the robes that we had use of in the room. Both my fiance and I were expecting plush and soft robes, however what we had in our room were crusty and almost grimy robes. I'm sure that they were clean, but they texture and look of the robes did not make either of us want to cozy up with them. For such a nice hotel, it was very disappointing. Also, the $1 breakfast deal is a bit of a let down as well. It covers coffee, fruit, juice, and pastries. When I think of breakfast I think of eggs and french toast. So my fiance and I passed on the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank 1lilmiss
Washington dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I recently stayed with the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria while on a business trip. After traveling so much and so frequently, I have developed a good idea of how hotels should handle their guests, and the Hotel Monaco definitely goes above and beyond what is necessary. I was greeted at the desk by a very kind agent named Courtney who made sure all my accommodations were met and ensured that I would have the best stay possible with the hotel. The next morning room service was quite busy, so I was diverted to the front desk. Once again, Courtney answered the phone and ensure my order was taken and food was brought up to my room. I would definitely recommend this hotel for business clients, but it would also suit families as well. I did not take part in the kids hour (obviously), but I did make great use of the wine hour following. Great Hotel, Great Service, Great Value!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank rsamps58
Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I was here for a meeting for a week June 30-July 6. Great location for restaurants and shops. My room was very comfortable. I thought the lobby was dark and way too much busy decor. The staff was nice.....helpful etc. Dogs are a huge presence here! The bell staff was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sunny98
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Great location in old town alexandria. Good service, gym, pool, rooms. Pet friendly. Restaurant has good choices for dinner. Employees very helpful. Located near waterfront with many restaurant choices to choose from. Early evening wine service is included. Ambience is unique.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Richinitaly
dayton,ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

1. If you use valet parking, make sure lights are turned off and all doors are secured even if you have to check yourself. Got ready to check out and car was dead. They jumped it, but is was a fairly new battery with no problems before or after so I think it was not a battery problem. 2. The pool is small and overrun with kids. Pool attendant was too busy playing on her phone to get unused pool toys out and as usual parents paid no attention to their kids throwing football's around. They should have an adult swim an hour before pool opens and the last hour. 3. Got a $10 free pass for the minibar which I used but was charged for it on my final bill. Got it corrected, but check your bill.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family