“Haunted But Nice” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington
“Haunted But Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a really nice old hotel with excellent customer service. Its in a great location, but you want an upper floor. The bar can be noisy for for some visitors. We looked into Jackson 20 but found it to be overpriced. That said, there are plenty of good restraunts within a couple of blocks.

Another good thing about the hotel/restraunt is that not only do they allow pets, they leave out water bowls for the pets on the sidewalk outside. This is truley a pet friendly hotel.

The haunting story. Yes if you Google the hotel, you will find plenty of stories of the hotel being haunted. I haven't read the stories but I did a quick search while writing this to verify things. So the ghost story is this: About 09:30 June 28, I and a couple got on the the elevator on the sixth floor. We were both headed for the first floor and I hit the button for both of us. The car stopped on the fourth floor and opened up. As the door opened, a light moved across the opposite wall. Now, there is the argument that it was just a reflection, but once you visit the hotel and see the halls, you will see that the halls are dark and that there is very little there to reflect bright light. Its a great place to visit. If you are one who can "feel" presences (I am not), you will feel them here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank B S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Northern Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Excellent location, comfortable, clean, relatively new rooms. Like bathroom, nice amenities. Excellent service. Noisy from King street pretty late even on top floor. Bring earplugs.

Restaurant (Jackson 20) is acceptable, not great.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

In town for son's wedding over several days so we booked better than average room. Hotel and room were visually very interesting. People were generally very helpful (only exception being the AWOL concierge at 7 pm on Saturday night). Crowds in lobby were fascinating. Valets were lifesavers in rainy weather!

But room was badly maintained with persistent mildew problem - room was heavily scented when we arrived as a mask - and sloooow draining fixtures (when were they last checked?). Very 2-star. Interesting that they admit dogs but barking for two hours heard through paper thin doors on Saturday morning slightly less charming.

1 Thank Ron G
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed three nights at the Monaco to take my 14 year old to Washington D.C. for a summer trip. They offered a free shuttle van for pick up and drop off at Ronald Reagan International which I used. The shuttle was on time and the drivers were very courteous. Check in was very smooth and the staff were polite and accommodating. There was plenty of eating choices up and down King Street. It was probably a 1 mile walk up King Street to the Metro station but it wasn't too bad. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. The beds and linens were very comfortable and I sleep well each night. I used the gym one of the days. It had a few elliptical machines and treadmills and some very basic weights but it was perfect for a quick workout. The one hour complimentary wine hour was a nice touch. My daughter left her jacket in the room which we didn't realize until after we checked out. They mailed it back to her in Florida without charge. This hotel shows a lot of class. I would stay there again!

Helena, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My mom, my two daughters and I spent 6 wonderful nights at the Monaco Alexandria right in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. You are welcomed into the funky, eclectic lobby by a friendly doorman,beginning your adventure. The front desk staff was professional and super helpful in guiding us to the right restaurants, shopping and transportation for our stay in Alexandria. The fresh clean lovely spacious rooms have a colorful modern decor with nice linens and fluffy towels. The room is equipped with a desk with extra outlets for all of your electronics. This hotel is all about location, location, not only are you within walking distance of the Potomac River and historic old town with all it has to offer (farmer's market across the street, french bakery next door, delightful boutiques...), but you are a 15 min. cab ride from Washington, D.C. I would highly recommend this classy hotel for your family, friends or business associates, it fits the bill for all!

Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a beautiful Kimpton Hotel with a large comfortable lobby. We were very happy with our room which was a double double; plenty of space, very clean and beautiful marble bathroom. Two sitting chairs in our room as well. We stayed three nights. We had some issues with service, however. We received a 4am wake up call on Saturday morning which we didn't request. Then we received a 6pm wake up call that evening which we didn't request. We had also requested a quiet area of the hotel but our room was only a few ors down from the pool entrance and there was a lot of hallway noise associated with the pool. We also had to wait in the lobby on Saturday as our room had not been cleaned. We could not get back into our room until after 4pm. When I checked out and was asked how my stay was I said "OK". I was not asked why.... Clearly the hotel was very busy. This hotel has the potential be a really great experience, if the service was improved. It is a dog-friendly hotel. It's a perfect location for enjoying King Street. There is a free trolly that runs daily up and down King Street; it goes all the way to the Metro if you want to go into the City. There is a great farmers' market every Saturday morning right across from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Petunia78
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We don't travel with a dog (our cats prefer to stay at home) but were surprised at how many guests at the Monaco in Alexandra, VA had dogs, well - behaved dogs at that. I've since read that Alexandria is a very dog-friendly town and that many lodging places accept them.

I liked sitting in the comfortable lobby here watching the canines. When I say the lobby is comfortable, I mean it has couches that you literally sink into, wonderful side chairs, ottomans, and a cozy fireplace. There are toys for the kids in the lobby too. And did I mention there's wine at 5 p.m.? Very nice.

The only thing we were uncomfortable with was the size of the room. My husband and I are not little people. By the time we got our four bags and ourselves into the room it was snug. I like having a nice arm chair in the room. Not here. The furnishings and decor are avant European -- a large foot stool is the closest we got to a sitting chair. We thought we asked for a king-size bed, but got a queen. We let that go because it may have been our mistake.

There's no coffee pot in the room (European style, I guess) but there is coffee in the lobby. Don't look for any packaged sweet rolls for breakfast here, because there's no breakfast. I liked that because I don't find the "free breakfast" at most hotels all the good. Next to the Monaco there is a nice La Madeleine. And there's a pharmacy across the street.

The room and bathroom were very clean. We didn't get housekeeping every day because we left early each morning and returned around 4 p.m., just about the time housekeeping was getting around to us. That was not a big issue to me. I just mention it in case it is to others.

The desk was helpful and friendly, as were the doorman and staff. The first night the AC went on instead of the heater (it was cold). Maintenance was at our door within 2 minutes after we called and replaced the batteries in the thermostat. No problems with AC or heat after that. There is a free shuttle to and from Reagan National airport. When we arrived the shuttle was in the shop but the hotel paid for our cab ride.

The Monaco is in Old Town and is within walking distance to the related historic attractions and the Torpedo Factory. The station for the Metro into D.C. is about a mile away. The Old Town trolleys go to the Metro station but they don't start until 10 a.m. If you want to go into D.C. earlier than that, you either need to be prepared to walk a mile to the station or take a cab.

Next time we go to D.C. we will probably stay closer to the Metro station, not because we didn't like the Monaco but because we are morning people and like to go into the city early. Also, there's a great Whole Foods near the Metro station. We would have eaten every meal there if we'd found it sooner. The restaurants in Old Town are ok, but not as good as Whole Foods in my opinion.

Room Tip: Elevators tend to run a little slow so a room on a lower floor might be a good idea if you want to t...