“Convenient to attractions”

GreenLeadersGold level
Nashua
“Convenient to attractions”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Hotel was modern and the rooms updated. What is most important is the convenient location so you can just park your car and walk to all the Old Town Alexandria shops and restaurants. We were less impressed with Old Town Alexandria because we expected to see more historic sites. Another nice aspect to the location is that it is close to the beautiful parks on the south end of Washington Street that provide a lot of nice hiking/biking trails along the water front. Mount Vernon is a short 8-10 miles away.
We were less impressed with the service. We called down requesting our car (we had used valet service) and were told it would be 10-15 minutes. We arrived at the lobby 15 minutes later and they attendant hadn't even pulled our keys, let alone gotten our car, so it was another 10 minute wait. We also stopped at the outside seating service for a glass of wine and it took about 5-10 minutes to get waited on even after we had gone inside to make sure there was service to the outside.

Green Features: The Monaco Alexandria is very environmentally-friendly. The have posted how to save towels for another use and provide a separate trash can for recycle.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NashuaRetired

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Exquisite hotel with modern, unconventional deco. Close to the main street of shops and restaurants. Love the balcony where you can sit and have a drink while enjoying the nice view of a little piazza. Definitely coming back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Hotel was extremely noisy, thanks to malfunctioning doors, loud parties on the outdoor courtyard, and in-room air conditioning (i.e. no central air). And staff--most shockingly for a Kimpton property, most of which I've enjoyed--was indifferent to the point of rudeness. Not coming back here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear DavidS98098,

Please accept my apologies for the perception you were left of our hotel, and most importantly our staff. That is not how we have come to be so succesful and it is not acceptable, I'm sorry that you left feeling this way.

Please contact me at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com if you would like to provide more information and for me to help address your concerns to your satisfaction.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay @ Hotel Monaco and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about. We were both extremely happy with every aspect of our stay. The staff that we dealt with were friendly and accommodating, even when there was a mix-up with the parking. Our room was made up beautifully every morning. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to go swimming (or even look at the pool!) despite choosing the Monaco because of the pool!!

The only room available when I made the reservation was a handicap accessible king room, so our room had a large roll-in shower, which was very nice. The bathroom was much larger than the last Kimpton I stayed in, The Helix, which was located in DC. The C.O. Bigelow products were a nice touch! Our room overlooked King Street, but the noise was never an issue.

I would absolutely stay in Alexandria again. I had no idea there were so many little shops and good restaurants. The waterfront area is a must- see and it's only a few blocks away! The Monaco is located a 15-20 minute walk to the King Street Metro station and it's about a 15-20 minute trip into the heart of DC. I am from NYC, where we walk everywhere, so the walk was no problem for me. There is plenty to look at along the way and plenty of shops to stop in. There is a free trolley, but walking was faster than waiting for the trolley.

Overall, we had an extremely pleasant experience and I wouldn't think twice about booking another stay at the Monaco next time I am in Alexandria!

Room Tip: Become a Kimpton member. It's free and you get $10 to spend on the mini bar!
1 Thank Robynpuff1979
Dear Robynpuff1979,

So glad you found us and discovered how great Old Town Alexandria is! Thank you for this great review and for your business, we appreciate it!

Take care and hope to see you again soon,

Lafayette, California
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This Hotel is marvelous. The rooms are very comfortable and the location is perfect. We loved the pillows.They serve complimentary wine each afternoon and free coffee in the morning. I would stay there again anytime. Also, the staff is very friendly.

Dear Carolyn S,

Thank you for such a wondeful review! And everyone always enjoys a little free wine, right?!

Thanks again,

Placida, Florida
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is kind of dark, rooms, hallways, lobby. VERY pet friendly...saw a large Russian wolfhound lounging in the lobby. A bit remiss in the housekeeping department as glasses from Happy Hour (5-6) were still all over the lobby at 8. Incredible location though, right in the heart of Old Alexandria. Rooms are nice, great pillows. Bathrooms are fine.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear CiteeGirl,

Thank you for staying with us - we appreciate your business!

And all of the feedback is great, both good and bad, because it helps us either way. So thank you for taking the time to share and we will make sure to address those items you have noted here!

Take care and hope to see you again soon,

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I booked a last minute deal for a great price. I was going to reserve the larger terrace room but assumed they would ask me if I wanted to "E-Stand By". Since I have batted 1.000 with "E-Stand By", why not try it again?

Upon arrival, we were welcomed and thanked for being a Kimpton member which followed with apologies that they were fully booked with 3 weddings and the "E-Stand By" request could not be granted. Instead, she gave us a "Great" room (with a queen bed??) on the 3rd floor and also (2) free cocktails at the restaurant in the lobby. Fair compromise.

Decor was great, courtyard was nice and bathrooms were high class.

Everything else was fine except this morning. I virtually live on the road for work and never really was bothered by elevator noise or hallway traffic but today was a first!

We were right next to the elevator. I guess someone always will have to stay next to the elevator but we were getting a quiet room.

Anyways, after tossing and turning all morning, I figured it out. The pool and the gym are on floor 3. That would explain the kids yelling from one end to the other of the hallway, or the kids racing back forth. It's not like I had to get up this morning for a meeting and was bothered all through the night.

Just was hoping for a quieter experience on this mini staycation.

I absolutely love Kimpton and will return to this location again. Also, the bartenders at the restaurant were awesome. They were slammed but still managed to get drinks.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator, Avoid the 3rd floor (traffic to pool and gym),
Dear YankeesBaseball,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments here. I apologize for the fact that you were inconvenienced by noise from outside of your room during this stay, obviously our team should have been better aware of what rooms can be expected to be quieter than others.

Please contact me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I would be happy to provide that upgrade you missed out on this time, complimentary for you on your next stay!