“Ecclectic Comfort”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel stay was due to an overflow issue at the conference hotel. The lobby was a very ecclectic-bohemian feel yet comfortable, the staff was fantastic, the room was generous in size and comfort. They offered free coffee and tea every morning in the lobby for guests, with couches and chairs and a fireplace to relax by. Evenings, they offered free wine from 5-6pm which was great following all day conference. Very social time. Centered beautifully for a walk to the waterfront, great restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear denibeck,

That hotel's loss was our gain! Glad you enjoyed the hotel and thank you for the kind words abou the staff!

Safe travels,

Reviewed April 30, 2013

A lovely small hotel right in Old Town. Everything was great! Large room and bathroom; nicely appointed; super comfy bed. (Loved the size of the bathroom!). We got there too late for the wine tasting but had all of Old Town right outside the door. Parking garage avail as well as valet parking. Loved the boutique hotel atmosphere, decor, and spirit ...we only stayed there one night but would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: We overlooked King Street and it was just fine so don't think you can go wrong.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear SavvyTaveler,

Thank you for staying with us! And for this wonderful review!

Hope you can stay longer next time!

Take care,

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had an unexpected trip to Alexandria Va and my good fortune was to find a room at the Kimpton Monaco Hotel in Alexandria. I arrived and was met by the parking valet who handled my vehicle for me, the reception desk was super efficient and offered me a lovely room with a balcony into the courtyard. The young lady at reception also mentioned that it was wine hour for another ten minutes and I should enjoy, which I did! After getting into my room which was large and well furnished I headed downstairs and enjoyed a light snack at the bar. I was working at the desk in my room when I felt hungry and ordered a wonderful sandwich from the late night service and was delighted with a gourmet sandwich. I requested and was immediately provide a delayed checkout in the morning which allowed me to get a little more sleep in the morning and prepare for a afternoon meeting. Thank you Kimpton Monaco in Alexandria for a great nights stay. Your entire staff is terrific!

Room Tip: Room 208 was terrific...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Acruzu,

Thank you so much! Glad you found us at the last minute!

Thank you for the kind words about the staff, we are very proud of them.

Take care and hope to see you soon,

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Monaco Alexandria was a wonderful spot with some very nice features. Free wine tasting every night and free coffee/tea every morning. The staff is prompt, helpful and attentive. Our room was the perfect size and we were really glad we chose the balcony room to sit and enjoy coffee overlooking the courtyard. It is located on the popular King Street in Old Town with access to many great shops and restaurants all in walking distance. It is big enough but not too big and charming. The decor is eclectic and fun. Beds and bathrobes are very comfortable and the thing I LOVE about Kimpton is if you forget something they will get it for you. Our room was spotless and that is a big deal for me.
Here are the negatives, they need to provide a fresh coat of paint to the hotel and work on keeping the lobby a little tidier. Also, if you are not a pet person...this is a VERY pet friendly hotel (as is all of Old Town) so just consider that if you are annoyed by people's pets. Also, I don’t consider this a luxury hotel but it was very nice for what we paid and loved the little touches. Minibar left a little be desired and the room was not re-stocked with glasses after the second day of cleaning.

Dear TastyTraveler7,

Thank you so much for this review, and for choosing us for your stay in Old Town Alexandria! We appreciate the kind words about the staff, and your constructive feedback as well.

Take care and safe travels!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The room was nice and comfortable, and the bathroom was good. I had read other reviews that the front desk staff was less than stellar, and they were right. I asked for an early check in when I made the reservations, but when we got there at 1:30, our room wasn't ready. I know that's not guaranteed, so it wasn't a huge deal, we just had to leave our luggage at the front desk (which also wasn't a problem) because we had to be in DC at a certain time. However, the young lady at the front desk seemed less than happy to be there. She was also there the next morning when we checked out, and while everyone had a name tag on, if she did, it was hidden under her scarf. We have stayed a the Monaco in Baltimore, and the staff there are much more professional. The hotel itself was nice, but we probably wouldn't stay at this one again in Alexandria. We'll try one of the other Kimpton hotels in the area.

Dear Erin S,

Thank you for trying us out, I'm glad that you found more information about us on TripAdvisor as well. Your perception of the Front Desk team is concerning however and we will make sure to address that. Our team is here to help make your experience better through personally connecting with our guests, we obviously failed to do that here and I apologize.

Thanks again and please let me know if I can be of assistance to you in the future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Overall we liked the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria. A great location downtown. The lobby is beautiful with amazing fresh flowers and a fireplace plus lots of room to sit and enjoy. The rooms are comfortable. We had a room overlooking the courtyard and enjoyed our stay. However, it is the little details that make or break a nice hotel. It seems the cleaning crew doesn't realize that they need to clean BOTH sides of a door and the double bathroom doors had dirty fingerprints on the inside. When you are paying $200 a night I expect a clean room. The bed was ok but the mattress needed replacement creaking loud enough to wake your partner when you got up or sat down. We loved the balcony and tried to enjoy a glass of wine while watching the goings on below in the courtyard but the table was so wobbly you really couldn't use it. Tried the cardboard under the legs but that didn't cure the problem. No coffee maker in the room was a disappointment as well. They have a small frig. packed with overpriced everything. The key didn't work in the lock and we had to go back down stairs to replace it. No room in it for anything you might bring in and want to cool. They have self serve coffee in the lobby each morning. At 5pm a staff member serves free wine, which was a nice touch. The staff was ok and went out of their way to open the lobby door every time we used it BUT darn guys if you are going to open the door for me hold it open from the outside rather than stand up against it so people can get out with having to turn sideways to keep from touching you. There were staff cleaning the lobby windows and inside woodwork while we were trying to enjoy the fire. One would think the cleaning would be done at 4 in the morning not at 5 in the afternoon. Would we stay again? Probably, but first we may look at the competition.

1  Thank marci477

Dear marci477,

Thank you for choosing us, we appreciate your business! Thank you for your feedback as well, I did want to let you know that we have both coffee makers and refrigerators available upon request complimentary if you prefer to have them in your room.

The next time your travels bring you up this way, please contact me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I will be happy to personally assist you.

Thanks again and take care,

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was our fourth stay at a Kimpton Hotel. Kimpton never disappoints! A doorman awaited us on each entry into the lobby from the street. Friendly staff. A very clean and updated hotel. A large lobby with a fireplace and numerous sofas and chairs for relaxing.

Our room overlooked the interior brick courtyard. We had a queen-size bed in a very spacious room. Large writing desk with swivel office chair. Upholstered chair with ottoman. Flat screen LG HD TV. iHome clock radio with iPod dock. Refrigerator (with mini-bar contents). Ironing board and iron. In-room safe. Lots of closet and dresser space. Roomy marble bathroom with separate sink area.

Nice touches: the usual Kimpton bathrobes in wild prints. Free wi-fi (worked great with my iPhone). AC outlets built in to the edge of the desk plus an Ethernet port. An AC outlet block on one of the nightstands (which also had USB ports for charging devices). I was very happy to have outlets to plug in my camera and phone chargers. Complimentary wine reception each evening.

We parked in the self-service underground parking garage. Easy drive in access from the side street (South Pitt Street). Walk-in access from the lobby or via the elevators, which go to both garage levels. Be warned - this is a VERY tight garage. Valet parking is available.

There is an adjoining restaurant, Jackson 20, with access from the lobby. We enjoyed a very nice breakfast here.

1  Thank TomKNY

Dear TomKNY,

Excellent! So glad to hear you really enjoyed your stay, thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Please come back soon!