WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia
“Wonderful getaway...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Hotel Monaco in Alexandria impressed and satisfied. My husband and I drove from Philadelphia for a little getaway to D.C. We booked the "blossoms & blooms" package on a wednesday night for $165, which included parking & a complimentary cherry blossom soap. When we pulled into the town of Alexandria, specifically King St., where the hotel is located...we decided to spend our first day there, instead of trekking to downtown D.C. We spent a few hours exploring & shopping. Unique Irish, tea & spice and clothing shops, as well as stores like Anthropology, Bluemercury and the Gap are all nearby. We walked to the waterfront and toured around the Torpedo Art Center...an open artist studio, which was free and welcoming. We then returned to the hotel & took advantage of the hotel's free wine hour (from5pm to 6pm)...they were also serving sake to coincide with the cherry blossom festival. We then moved on to La Tasca, a Spanish restaurant a block away had $4 sangria and complimentary paella. Then we had a reservation at PX, a traditional 20's style speakeasy...three blocks from the hotel with the best drinks I've ever seen or had!

The hotel was clean, staff was polite & efficient and the space of the room was perfect. The only reason I did not rate it excellent is because we had trouble sleeping in after our night out. The hotel is dog-friendly and our next door neighbors dog barked constantly from 9am to 10am. I did call the front desk to complain and soon after, the barking stopped. Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Alexandria, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Jnacb427,

Thank you for choosing us for your little getaway! Sounds like you all did a great job of exploring and experiencing Old Town Alexandria. There is so much to do and see right outside our front door, we are very fortunate to be located where we are.

I'm glad that the Front Desk was able to help with the situation regarding the dog in the room next door, although I apologize for the inconvenience that caused. We do have a pet-free floor if you prefer for your next visit.

Thanks again and safe travels!

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed for business but was very pleased with the hotel. The location is in the heart of old town and about 20 minutes to DCA. The room is spacious and the bed is comfortable. The walls are a little thin but not particularly noisy.

One feature that really struck me as a differentiating point, there were a ton of dogs of all different sizes and they catered to kids/families. In the evening there were games and kids gathered around the fireside. They put chalk boards in the families rooms. They have chalkboards and books at check in. As a mom, it was really cool to see. It's a hip hotel that even us married with kids can enjoy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear REDRENSINK,

Thank you so much! We work hard to welcome kids to the hotel and recognize how making them happy can make the parents happy!

Thanks for staying with us, hopefully next time you can bring the family with you!

Westerville, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Unfortunately, there were too many issues to review above 'average'. No clean towels at the pool, no safety equipment at the pool for young children (vest or floaties), lots of promises to deliver things that came up short (pool closed when signage stated it would be open, programs highlighted on marketing materials for children not available). A great location if you want to be right in Old Town, which is a great place to stay/visit. Very child and dog friendly. Wishing our stay would have been better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mackey66,

Thank you for your review, and for the kind words about our location and child-friendly approach. It is dissappointing to hear that we did not deliver on all of the amenities and services that would have made your stay more enjoyable however. I'm sorry about that.

We have purchased extra items for the pool and addressed the hours of operation as well, thank you so much for your feedback. Please do come give us another try when your travel plans bring you back to this area.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

A poor experience overall and I would hesitate to book again on my next business or pleasure trip to the DC area.

I arrived late and the staff was too busy to greet me upon reaching the desk so I greeted them. I can overlook that - no big deal as otherwise nice.

Bar restaurant closed down by 11 PM so I just missed dining there. After checking into the room I can down and asked for recommendations off property for a quick bite or convenience store to grab some water and light food. Woman at the desk didn't know of any convenience stores or restaurants that might offer that - could only recommend bars. Ended up ordering room service which was fine.

Room was nicely appointed and comfortable.

Bedding was awful. A thin synthetic brown blanket covered by two white sheets to with side. No duvet and comforter. Not acceptable for this price of $250/nt and a supposed 4 star property. I thought Kimpton had standards for this? HVAC unit was very loud when it came on so I went back and forth being cold and hot until I gave up at 3 AM and asked for a comforter. Got maybe 3-4 hours of sleep before a long day of meetings.

I was polite but informed the FD agent of my poor sleep and general disappointment. She comp'd my food service but she should have probably comp'd the whole stay or given a credit towards coming back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank FamTravChP
Dear FamTravChP,

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to share your comments here. I apologize however, that we fell so short on this trip.

You are kind to overlook the lack of greeting by the Front Desk and inability to offer more appropriate dining suggestions, but honestly we are better than that and I'm sorry you did not recieve better service.

I agree with you regarding the compensation and if you would like to come back and provide us another opportunity to serve you, please contact me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com. It would be my pleasure to personally assist you and help ensure that we exceed your expectations from here on out.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed the weekend as part of a SniqueAway special at the Hotel Monaco and had a fantastic time. The staff made the stay so much more enjoyable and memorable. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left each and every staff member was nothing but pleasant and happy to assist us.
Upon checking in we were offered our room pet, Ariel, a lovely goldfish, for the weekend. Our room was clean, bright, and we enjoyed the balcony - even if it was a bit on the chilly side. The afternoon wine hour was something to look forward to.
Overall, clean and comfortable rooms with a great location. The staff really makes the difference here - well done!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear sensitiveartist,

Great to hear the staff took such good care of you! Thank you for recognizing them here!

You have to come back when the weather is warmer and enjoy the balcony overlooking our courtyard, it's worth it I promise!

Madisonville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was my second stay here. Both were for business and both were very pleasant stays. The front desk staff is very friendly, well informed of local attractions, and good food.

The rooms were spacious, well cleaned, and appealing. The beds were comfortable, had plenty of pillows, and covers.

The only issue I had on both trips was that there were 'additional' charges to my room when I checked out. The first, a bottle of water from the mini-bar which I made sure I did not have a key to. The second trip, a $100 parking charge. I flew in and never drove. Both issues were fixed quickly and without question prior to leaving.

Very nice place to stay, very accommodating staff, and a great location!

Room Tip: On my second trip, i had an easterly facing window on the sixth floor which provided an excellent vi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Couchie_Flies,

Thanks for making us your hotel of choice while on business here in Old Town Alexandria! We very much appreciate your business!

I'm sorry about those two mishaps with the billing, we'll make sure to prevent any similar occurrences in the future.

Safe travels and see you soon!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here for three nights with my husband for a business conference in DC. Loved the location -- easy to walk to a myriad of restaurants and shopping. Our room was great -- had a terrance but too cold to sit out there. We never returned in time for the wine reception but I had tried it in other Kimptons. I didn't like the fact that you have to travel to the lobby to get a cup of coffee in the morning or pay for room service. For business travelers, it might make more sense to offer a Keurig. Showerhead was broken and three calls to get it fixed all went ignored. Had to stand pressed against the wall to take a shower and broke my foot in the process. Their front desk needs training in attending to patron requests -- especially when asked three times! Oh yea, they did call me about it --four weeks later!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank drlearn
Dear drlearn,

Thank you for staying with us while your husband was in the area on business, and for the kind words about our location and the guestroom.

I'm very dissapointed that we didn't follow through on your requests to fix the shower however, certainly that was a huge inconvenience for you and I sincerely apologize.

Please reach out to me directly if your travel plans bring you back to the area, we will definitely make up for the shortcomings on this stay and can provide you with a Kuerig coffee maker in your room for your convenience as well. My email address is matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com.