“A Nice Old Town Hotel”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Monaco Alexandria while visiting the area last fall. The first room we got was not cleaned/finished, and we were given the option to wait until they finish it or to get another room. We chose a new room, which was perfect. We had a nice view of the street, and enjoyed some people watching. It was very quiet all night - no noise from the street or from other guests. The room seemed clean and the beds were comfortable.

We had complimentary breakfast at the hotel, and both the pancakes and the oatmeal were good. There was also a wine reception in the lobby every afternoon (I think?), but we missed this due to our tight schedule.

The customer service at this hotel was professional and friendly, and we felt welcome from the moment we walked in.

The location of the hotel is fabulous, and you can take a nice walk from the hotel in either direction. There are numerous shopping and dining options nearby. Parking was convenient in the garage of the hotel, if not a little pricy.

We would definitely be happy to stay here again, and would recommend the hotel to our friends and family as well. The hotel is said to be dog friendly, but unfortunately, we didn't see any furry guests this time...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank applesaucedk
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear applesaucedk,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your feedback here! You apparently came a long way, glad to hear that both the hotel and Old Town Alexandria lived up to your expectations!

We are so pet friendly that we even have a dog on staff, our Pet Ambassador Charlie would be happy to come out and say hello if you are missing a furry friend from home!

Take care,

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here on a business trip, it is wonderfully comfortable and convenient to all the fun. There is always fresh lemon water and a tea service in the lobby. The lobby is a comfortable for reading or having drinks with a friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PrtyGrl9014

Dear PrtyGrl9014,

Thank you for your business! Although a lot of guests find us here on TripAdvisor for their own leisure/vacation travel, we really work hard to also be a great option for business travelers in the area as well.

Please let me know if I can ever be of personal assistance, I would be happy to help!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a Staycation at this property, and had a lovely time. We are both concierges in the District, and will work on the 14th, so this was our "Pre-Valentine's" and it didn't disappoint.
The rooms are lovely--comfy beds and the tub was huge and had jacuzzi jets. The staff is friendly, and I couldn't help but notice how attentive the doormen were.
Like any Kimpton, they do a nice 5:00pm Wine Hour, and with our In Touch Membership we had free wifi and a "Raid the Minibar" credit--all much appreciated.
The gym was tiny but clean.
The location is pretty centrally located--not too far of a walk to the water, or any restaurants, bars or shops further up King Street.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrsClyde

Dear MrsClyde,

This review, given your experience in the industry, is so wonderful to read and really validates what we are trying to do. I honestly tell my friends and family to come take a 'staycation' here as it really is a great, unique experience and Old Town Alexandria has so much to offer.

Thank you so much for choosing us out of all the options available to you, we appreciate your business!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have to say that I was torn between the Lorien and Hotel Monaco when deciding to stay for he Obama Inauguration. I have stayed at a couple of hotels and had friends visiting from San Diego and South Africa and after so much back and forth i finally settled on Hotel Monaco and I must say this is one of the best choices i have ever made in my life. The rooms are very clean, staff friendly and they even matched my price down when i pointed to them that i saw another site with a lower price. After our 4 day stay In Alexandria , we spontaneously decided to go to New York and needless to say, we chose the Muse , another Kimpton Hotel and the praise cannot stop. A must stay place if you like space and comfort and by the way i am a very meticulous person when it comes to choosing hotels to stay.

Room Tip: never choose the room next to the pool. its smaller
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank katy G

Dear katy G,

We are so grateful you chose us, and that you took the time to share these wonderful comments here. I'm glad that we worked out the discrepancy in your rate, and that you all enjoyed the weekend!

Please come back soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The atmosphere was very nice. The staff was friendly. I usually don't like animals in a hotel but I have changed my mind. Everyone was well behaved and quiet. The rooms were very nice. However, the wall were thin so you heard the hallway and elevator. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ruth47286
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Ruth47286,

Thank you for your business! And we really appreciate the kind words about the staff as well.

Come back soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The decor is quirky but acceptable with some nice details. The room was spacious, the maid was thoughtful enough to keep the temperature at the room we set (and not freezing cold or boiling hot), the bathroom was also modern with nice decoration details. Above all the staff at both the front desk and the restaurant were charming and helpful. For a brief stay, I enjoyed it.

Only drawback was a smell of Sterno (or some other weird smell) in the main lobby. Perhaps better air venting?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank twets

Dear twets,

Thank you for trying us out and for sharing your thoughts here! I'll pass along your compliments to the Housekeeping team, they always enjoy the feedback and take pride in the service they provide.

My apologies for the odor you mentioned in the lobby, we have since investigated the cause and fixed it.

Safe travels and hope that you return some day soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've stayed at all of the other Kimpton hotels in the Old Town Alexandra area. This one is the best by far. Great customer service, great price, great location, excellent ambiance AND a complimentary hotel room goldfish upon request. This is a pet friendly hotel and they go above and beyond to make you and your four legged friends feel welcome. Don't forget to request doggie bed, bowls and welcome kit with your reservation. This is now my go to 'home away from home' in Alexandria.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank lisanichols20

Dear lisanichols20,

Yes! Definitely going to brag about this with my friends at the other Kimpton's in Alexandria! Although I do have to say they have some great hotels, it's still nice to be put on top of your list!

Thank you for your business and we are thrilled to become your hotel of choice in Old Town Alexandria. Please let me know if there is anything I can ever do to personally assist.

Take care,