“outstanding!”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I chose the Monaco on my last visit to beautiful Alexandria, VA, for its outstanding location in the middle of Old Town. When my travel partner and I left, the bellman hugged us goodbye.

In decades of travel for business in pleasure and managing premium corporate events throughout the country, I have NEVER experienced the level of service this hotel offers its patrons, both two and four-legged.

Very attractive, more comfortable than plush, it's a fantastic place to stay and I could not recommend the Monaco or its staff more highly.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms. Both overlooked King Street. There are balcony rooms over a courtyard, b...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear jodyreynolds2,

This is so amazing to read, thank you so much for taking the time to share these wonderful comments! We appreciate your business and it looks like the staff did a great job of showing that to you.

Hugs aren't part of our standard procedures, but perhaps they should be, right?!

Take care and hope to see you soon,

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel was intimately nestled in the heart of Old Town. There was access to shops and restaurants all within walking distance. The hotel had a warm "old town" feel along with an eclectic atmosphere. The staff was ready and willing to help with whatever we needed. Our room had robes and a chaise by the window that I thoroughly enjoyed relaxing in. ONLY downside was this was a pet friendly hotel, which we knew ahead of time, and we could hear a dog or 2 barking in the hallway periodically. This did not dampen the stay one bit. Have never stayed in a Kimpton Hotel. I will look for them in the future. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Be advised this is a pet friendly hotel. The lobby is fairly small, so head down to the wine hour a...
1  Thank akiger
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear akiger,

Thank you for staying with us and it is great to hear that you will now look for Kimpton Hotels more often after this experience!

We appreciate the kind words and hope to see you again!

Take care,

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Why would a hotel lock the mini bar on New Years Eve? Why would they do this after explaining to one of their Kimpton InTouch members at check in about the free $10 in mini bar charges they have available to them? We spent the better part of 9 hours on New Years Eve trying to gain access, it wasn't until after midnight that someone was able to locate a key and unlock it. This began when we checked into the hotel at 3:00 pm. We were told that the keys weren't available right now, but we'd be contacted when one was. We asked again at 10:00 and was told they're working on it. Finally, we asked a final time about ten minutes after midnight. We were finally handed a key, but it didn't work. Finally, around 12:45 one of the front desk employees called and came upstairs to open the minibar....a little late don't you think? Why was it locked to begin with? This room has two adults, no children, a pre-authorized credit card with plenty of availability. This cost Kimpton a lot of money tonight and two unhappy guests.

Once we've finally gained access, we've discovered that the minibar contains many toiletries, an ethernet cable, first aid supplies, etc. Maybe Kimpton should consider not locking their minibars for adults. If we're responsible enough to afford a room in an upscale boutique hotel, don't you think we can choose to make responsible decisions regarding our minibar? Come on Kimpton, you can do better than this.

2  Thank Lynn_and_Rob

Dear Lynn_and_Rob,

I am so sorry that you had this experience at our hotel the other night, please accept my sincere apologies. We have since recieved an abundant supply of extra mini-bar keys so that we have them readily available for guests upon check-in, I regret that we were not properly prepared for your arrival however.

We appreciate your business and hope to have another chance to provide you with the great service that we are capable of. I know you have been in contact with my team here and they have addressed your concerns, but if I can ever be of personal assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed at this property during an anniversary trip with my hubby. This hotel is well appointed and comfortable like a small boutique hotel. The complimentary wine hour was a great start to the evening..leading to a great dinner at the hotel restaurant of braised goat and plank salmon. Unfortunately we used our complimentary drink cards an didn't make it out on the town..but there were bars and lounges in abundance nerby. We will definitely be returning!

1  Thank rodneytbond007
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear rodneytbond007,

Sometimes those nights when you are having such a good time you don't leave to explore other places are the best, right?!

Thanks for trying us out and glad to hear that you will be back!

Take care,

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I used to travel to Alexandria nearly monthly for work and have stayed in my fair share of hotels in the area. The Hotel Monaco is definitely my favorite for the following reasons:

1) Room - Nice clean room that you would expect from a Kimpton Property. Bonus: the towels are actually soft, there are outlets everywhere, good personal care products (including makeup remover), and did I mention clean?

2) Location - It's close enough to the King Street Metro Station, smack in the middle of Old Town, and across the street from a 24 hour CVS. What more can you ask for?

3) Hotel Perks - Free coffee and tea in the morning! Free generous wine reception in the afternoon! Worth hitting up before going out to dinner.

4) Restaurant - Jackson 20 is good restaurant, worth going to even when not staying at the hotel. This also means their room service is better than most.

It's a little new than the Morrison House (which is also a good hotel in Old Town) so if you're deciding between the two, I'd definitely go here for its great location.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jamie P

Dear Jaime P,

Great review I must say! Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments here, it is much appreciated!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This Kimpton is an excellent hotel & an excellent value. They are extraordinarily dog friendly -- a sleeping cushion and a doggie bag with treat and ball are hand-delivered to your room, among other things. (And, if you're allergic to pets, the third floor is off-limits to *all* pets, even goldfish.) The staff is well-trained, good at helping, and fun to talk with. Free wine from 5 to 6, free coffee tea and cocoa from 6 to 9 [and, for my wife, a French patisserie across the street for more substantial breakfasting]. One room up from basic, you get a balcony. Good rooms. Free internet, if you join their frequent flyer service (no problem). A dimmer in the bathroom means that you have an excellent night light -- this touch alone is, sometimes, worth it when you are batting around in the middle of night, especially if you have a midnight black dog sleeping randomly in your room ..... Safe and secure valet parking (& really cheap non-valet parking). You are in the middle of downtown Old Town -- great shops, architecture, restaurants -- pick your interest. Really, what is not to like? (Well, I have not been in any other Old Town hotels to make a comparison.)
(I really agree with the review of SheMakes3, although I have never felt the small lobby to be as small as she says. So, if I had her standards, maybe it would be a 4 star ....)

Room Tip: I'd upgrade one notch ($30, or if you buy the cheapest room you can enter a lottery to upgrade f...

Dear Weyden,

Thanks so much for this fantastic review! "What is not to like" I tell you!?! This little hotel has it all!

Our complimentary wine hour can sometimes be crowded, but truth be told it makes me happy. People love enjoying a free glass or two and often find themselves talking amongst each other, it is a truly unique experience in the hotel industry, and one that really helps set us apart!

Thanks for your business and have a safe and happy new year's,

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We recently stayed at the Monaco for the annual Scottish parade in Old Town Alexandria. The location of this hotel is superb. It is right in the middle of all the action and just a few blocks away from the Potomac. The hotel itself is very nice: well kept, large-ish rooms, nice bathrooms. The staff was very friendly and it had the feel of a small (which it is, at 6 floors) boutique hotel. I particularly liked the morning coffee.

Best of all, for us, is that the hotel welcomes dogs. I don't just mean that they allow dogs - they welcome them. There were water bowls outside, door hangers to note that your dog is inside, and the staff comments on your dogs. I would guess that 25% of the guests the weekend we were there had their dogs with them - everyone asking about your breed, etc.

The only downside to the hotel is the very small lobby - they hold a nightly cocktail hour but the lobby is so small it just feels like a crowd of people trying to get as much free wine as they can. Not all that nice. I give the hotel four stars for being very good at what it is - a reasonable, small, friendly hotel. If that is what you are looking for, I think the Monaco is a great place to stay in the DC area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear SheMakes3,

Thank you for staying with us for the Scottish Walk Parade! We love being a part of that event every year, and our location down here in the heart of Old Town Alexandria helps make us the place to stay for sure!

Please come back again next year!