“Great Anniversary Surprise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Adamstown, Maryland
“Great Anniversary Surprise”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at the Monaco last January for my 12th anniversary and my husband's birthday!! It was marvelous!! I chose this hotel based on the reviews on TripAdvisor and I am so glad I did. We were upgraded to the suites that have the bedrooms upstairs, which was gorgeous!! There was champagne and chocolate covered strawberries and little desserts waiting in our room with a personalized note. The room was immaculate and the bathroom was out of this world!! The wine in the evening in the living room was such a great touch. The staff was so helpful, they helped us find a great restaurant for dinner, even printed out menus of different restaurants in the area to give us a variety of choices! We had brunch the next morning at the restaurant in the hotel and it was soooo good! I had such an incredible stay I can't wait to do it again!! I would like to thank the Monaco for making our stay such a wonderful one!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Yokechia,

Your welcome! But more importantly, THANK YOU for staying with us and taking the time to share these wonderful comments here!

Aren't the Loft Suites so cool?! Glad you got a chance to stay in one and that you were able to have brunch in our restaurant Jackson 20 as well, it truly is exceptional!

Hope you come back in January for your next anniversary!

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Virginia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our stay at the Monaco has been much more than we could have expected from a "city hotel." It's so personal - you see the same staff and they recognize you as well. It feels more like a B&B than a fairly large hotel.

The balcony terrace rooms are well worth the extra cost. They have a nice outside sitting area that overlooks the courtyard where we saw a beautiful wedding take place yesterday.

The pet friendly part is huge - and all the dogs we encountered were well mannered. If only our guys were so well trained.

Valet parking is the same price as self parking and very prompt and friendly. And location is exceptional.

We stayed here years ago when it was a Holiday Inn. Kimpton has turned this property into a real jewel with fabulous service. GREAT JOB!!!

Room Tip: Interior Courtyard Rooms with Terrace are well worth the additional cost.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Patay1,

This is so great to read! Thank you very much! As you may have heard me say on this site previously, personalized service is what we strive for and is the key to our success for sure. Our team is so good at it, I feel very fortunate to be working with them all!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Being a regular traveler to DC and a huge fan of Kimpton properties, I finally got a chance to stay at the 3rd Kimpton hotel in Old Town Alexandria. The Morrison House and Lorien are absolutely outstanding and I was very pleased, but not surprised, that the Hotel Monaco was just as exemplary. Again, from the valets to the front desk to the manager, Hotel Monaco is a class act. Even the small but homey tradition of having classical music and a soft light on in your room when you check in is a nice touch. The location of King and Pitt is perfect for walking around and I was amazed at how quiet my room was despite overlooking King St. Love the Kimpton InTouch perk of a $10 mini-bar coupon...perfect for a cold beer or a snack in the evening. Well done, Hotel Monaco. I will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear SCOTT B,

Thanks for checking us out! Sounds like we will get to see you again in the future - looking forward to it!

Safe travels,

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our first experience with Kimpton Hotels and were impressed by the Monaco in Alexandria. The staff were friendly and very helpful. At check-in we were upgraded to a king room for our four night stay and provided with continental breakfast vouchers as part of our In-Touch membership. A very nice surprise. Our room was spacious, comfortable and nicely cleaned each day. The bed was extremely comfortable and all furnishings were also comfortable. Great atmosphere! I left an item behind and the housekeeping staff (lost and found)have been very helpful in working with me to have my item shipped back. Very much appreciated! We were not available to take part in the wine tasting in the lobby, but it looked like a good crowd enjoying themselves. Breakfast in the attached restaurant, Jackson 20, was very good. The location of this hotel turned out to be ideal for us. There are a number of shops and restaurants nearby and a nice walk along the waterfront a few blocks away. We made the 15 minute walk to the Metro a few times and took the Metro into downtown Washington, about 25 minutes on the Blue Line. We also cycled the Mt. Vernon trail from this hotel to George Washington's home at Mt. Vernon, a great ride, approx. one hour each way. All in all, we loved our stay here and will definitely return if in the area again. We look forward to trying other Kimpton Hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear gomostplaces,

Wow! You got a lot done during your time here, way to go! Glad to hear you took full advantage of our great location here in Old Town Alexandria, a quick Metro ride to Washington, D.C. and tons to offer right outside our door!

Thanks for staying with us and we are looking forward to your next trip down!

Take care,

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I enjoy the Kimpton Group Hotels and seek them out if they are available at my destination. I was very pleased with The Monaco Alexandria overall. My stay was in a 2/double bed room, for 8 nights. Check in was a blur (as I was jet-lagged and she spoke very quickly). A complementary cocktail voucher was given to me when I realized I had just missed the complimentary wine hour. Very nice, and appreciated! Gift backpacks with treats were offerered to my children. I did inquire about alternative parking to the steep hotel garage self-park option, but was not offered any alternative except metered street parking. I found a city lot for a third the price 2 blocks away. FYI- the Trolley to the Metro (15 min. brisk walk) only starts running at 11:30a.m. When we were inquiring about the trolley hours on our 2nd day, we were offered a ride (they were already taking other guests) to the Reagan Airport( Metro stop there) on the Hotel Shuttle. The hotel location was central to shopping, eating, waterfront, and the charming Saturday Farmers Market (across the street). The lobby and room were stylish, comfortable, and well maintained. The desk lamp switch malfuctioned, and was reported and fixxed in 10 minutes. I enjoyed my tea/coffee/morning paper routine sitting in the lobby people watching. The bed was extremely comfortable (please flip the mattress as it sloped on the favored side) and I enjoyed the throw at the foot of the bed when the A/C ( I set low) got chilly in the early AM. The foam pillow I requested was waiting in the closet. All lighting was on dimmer switches. I LOVE this feature! Premium CO Bigelow Apothecaries toiletries (cult NY following) were a real treat. My newspaper of choice was at the door every morning without fail. My daughter lost her beloved stuffed animal sightseeing, so we were pleasantly surprised to find a cute little stuffed toy dog in the mini bar non-refrigerated section. That saved the day!! Brilliant. I am so pleased with our stay and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: My 3rd floor street facing room was quiet. Some courtyard rooms have balconies with tables and chai...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear internationalvicky,

It was great to have you as part of our family for a week! Thank you for staying with us and hope that you and the family enjoyed your time in Old Town Alexandria!

Thank you for the kind words, we really value our ability to make both families and business travelers feel comfortable and taken care of.

Safe Travels!

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed one night at The Hotel Monaco in Olde Town Alexandria, VA last Saturday night (September 29, 2012), because we were in town for a wedding.

The best things about this hotel, in my opinion, were the friendly and helpful staff and the cleanliness of the hotel.

What I would have on my wish list for this hotel would be less expensive valet parking and either a coffee pot in the room or coffee service throughout the day in the lobby. The coffee is taken away at around 10 a.m., and with all of the things we had to do in the morning, we weren't able to get to the coffee station before that time.

Minor problems we had at the hotel, but were corrected very quickly: Neither of our room keys worked when we first went to our room. Luckily there was an employee in the hallway, and he called the front desk to report the problem. Within about five minutes, two new keys were brought up to our room. (We later discovered that one of the keys still did not work, but we didn't bother getting another replacement.) The other problem was the mini fridge was broken. We only wanted to use it to keep our water bottles cold so it wasn't a big deal. Not long after I reported the problem, a new refrigerator was brought to our room.

Soon after I checked out of the hotel, I received an email asking about my experience at the hotel. I let them know that overall it was a very good experience, but told them of the minor problems we had. In another email, I received an apology and thanks for my comments.

Room Tip: Do not get a room near the elevators!
Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear MsParticular1,

Thank you for your business and for your review. It is great to hear that your thought so highly of our staff, they are without a doubt the secret to our success!

I'm sorry for the minor glitches that occured, but glad to know that the team reacted quickly and resolved to your satisfaction.

Take care,

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the Monaco Alexandria for four days for a wedding celebration. Right from check in, we had a good experience. The registration was quick and we were in our room within minutes of walking in the front door. We stayed in a king suite. It was a nice sized room-adequate closet and storage space, room to lounge. Modern decor. The bathroom was large and I really enjoyed the high quality shampoo/soap/conditioner.

It is a pet friendly hotel. Although we occassionally heard dogs barking while we were in our room, it wasn't any more disruptive than hearing doors slamming or children crying. There was absolutely no "pet" smells in the hotel.

The location is fabulous. Lots of restaurants/coffee shops and shopping within walking distance. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Metro and maybe a 15 or 20 minute ride down to the Capitol or monuments. Excellent running/biking trails nearby. If you are visiting on a weekend, check out the farmer's market on Saturday morning about a block away--produce, fruit, art, and music.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out bike trails. It's really a great way to explore the area away from the crow...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Love2Travel53705,

Glad you stayed with us and it was such a great experience! Thank you so much for sharing your comments here.

You mentioned the bike trails and how it is a great way to explore this area, I agree and would add that we have complimentary bikes for our guests to use anytime they want! Thanks again!

Safe Travels,