“Great stay at the Monaco Alexandria”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our first experience with Kimpton Hotels and were impressed by the Monaco in Alexandria. The staff were friendly and very helpful. At check-in we were upgraded to a king room for our four night stay and provided with continental breakfast vouchers as part of our In-Touch membership. A very nice surprise. Our room was spacious, comfortable and nicely cleaned each day. The bed was extremely comfortable and all furnishings were also comfortable. Great atmosphere! I left an item behind and the housekeeping staff (lost and found)have been very helpful in working with me to have my item shipped back. Very much appreciated! We were not available to take part in the wine tasting in the lobby, but it looked like a good crowd enjoying themselves. Breakfast in the attached restaurant, Jackson 20, was very good. The location of this hotel turned out to be ideal for us. There are a number of shops and restaurants nearby and a nice walk along the waterfront a few blocks away. We made the 15 minute walk to the Metro a few times and took the Metro into downtown Washington, about 25 minutes on the Blue Line. We also cycled the Mt. Vernon trail from this hotel to George Washington's home at Mt. Vernon, a great ride, approx. one hour each way. All in all, we loved our stay here and will definitely return if in the area again. We look forward to trying other Kimpton Hotels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear gomostplaces,

Wow! You got a lot done during your time here, way to go! Glad to hear you took full advantage of our great location here in Old Town Alexandria, a quick Metro ride to Washington, D.C. and tons to offer right outside our door!

Thanks for staying with us and we are looking forward to your next trip down!

Matt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,859)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I enjoy the Kimpton Group Hotels and seek them out if they are available at my destination. I was very pleased with The Monaco Alexandria overall. My stay was in a 2/double bed room, for 8 nights. Check in was a blur (as I was jet-lagged and she spoke very quickly). A complementary cocktail voucher was given to me when I realized I had just missed the complimentary wine hour. Very nice, and appreciated! Gift backpacks with treats were offerered to my children. I did inquire about alternative parking to the steep hotel garage self-park option, but was not offered any alternative except metered street parking. I found a city lot for a third the price 2 blocks away. FYI- the Trolley to the Metro (15 min. brisk walk) only starts running at 11:30a.m. When we were inquiring about the trolley hours on our 2nd day, we were offered a ride (they were already taking other guests) to the Reagan Airport( Metro stop there) on the Hotel Shuttle. The hotel location was central to shopping, eating, waterfront, and the charming Saturday Farmers Market (across the street). The lobby and room were stylish, comfortable, and well maintained. The desk lamp switch malfuctioned, and was reported and fixxed in 10 minutes. I enjoyed my tea/coffee/morning paper routine sitting in the lobby people watching. The bed was extremely comfortable (please flip the mattress as it sloped on the favored side) and I enjoyed the throw at the foot of the bed when the A/C ( I set low) got chilly in the early AM. The foam pillow I requested was waiting in the closet. All lighting was on dimmer switches. I LOVE this feature! Premium CO Bigelow Apothecaries toiletries (cult NY following) were a real treat. My newspaper of choice was at the door every morning without fail. My daughter lost her beloved stuffed animal sightseeing, so we were pleasantly surprised to find a cute little stuffed toy dog in the mini bar non-refrigerated section. That saved the day!! Brilliant. I am so pleased with our stay and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: My 3rd floor street facing room was quiet. Some courtyard rooms have balconies with tables and chai...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear internationalvicky,

It was great to have you as part of our family for a week! Thank you for staying with us and hope that you and the family enjoyed your time in Old Town Alexandria!

Thank you for the kind words, we really value our ability to make both families and business travelers feel comfortable and taken care of.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed one night at The Hotel Monaco in Olde Town Alexandria, VA last Saturday night (September 29, 2012), because we were in town for a wedding.

The best things about this hotel, in my opinion, were the friendly and helpful staff and the cleanliness of the hotel.

What I would have on my wish list for this hotel would be less expensive valet parking and either a coffee pot in the room or coffee service throughout the day in the lobby. The coffee is taken away at around 10 a.m., and with all of the things we had to do in the morning, we weren't able to get to the coffee station before that time.

Minor problems we had at the hotel, but were corrected very quickly: Neither of our room keys worked when we first went to our room. Luckily there was an employee in the hallway, and he called the front desk to report the problem. Within about five minutes, two new keys were brought up to our room. (We later discovered that one of the keys still did not work, but we didn't bother getting another replacement.) The other problem was the mini fridge was broken. We only wanted to use it to keep our water bottles cold so it wasn't a big deal. Not long after I reported the problem, a new refrigerator was brought to our room.

Soon after I checked out of the hotel, I received an email asking about my experience at the hotel. I let them know that overall it was a very good experience, but told them of the minor problems we had. In another email, I received an apology and thanks for my comments.

Room Tip: Do not get a room near the elevators!
Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear MsParticular1,

Thank you for your business and for your review. It is great to hear that your thought so highly of our staff, they are without a doubt the secret to our success!

I'm sorry for the minor glitches that occured, but glad to know that the team reacted quickly and resolved to your satisfaction.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the Monaco Alexandria for four days for a wedding celebration. Right from check in, we had a good experience. The registration was quick and we were in our room within minutes of walking in the front door. We stayed in a king suite. It was a nice sized room-adequate closet and storage space, room to lounge. Modern decor. The bathroom was large and I really enjoyed the high quality shampoo/soap/conditioner.

It is a pet friendly hotel. Although we occassionally heard dogs barking while we were in our room, it wasn't any more disruptive than hearing doors slamming or children crying. There was absolutely no "pet" smells in the hotel.

The location is fabulous. Lots of restaurants/coffee shops and shopping within walking distance. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Metro and maybe a 15 or 20 minute ride down to the Capitol or monuments. Excellent running/biking trails nearby. If you are visiting on a weekend, check out the farmer's market on Saturday morning about a block away--produce, fruit, art, and music.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out bike trails. It's really a great way to explore the area away from the crow...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Love2Travel53705,

Glad you stayed with us and it was such a great experience! Thank you so much for sharing your comments here.

You mentioned the bike trails and how it is a great way to explore this area, I agree and would add that we have complimentary bikes for our guests to use anytime they want! Thanks again!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel staff was outstanding! They were super helpful from the time of check in to check out. We loved the hotel in general-it's trendiness, comfort, cleanliness. The rooms were spacious, beds very comfortable and the bathrooms fully updated. We particuarlly enjoyed the pet friendly atmosphere (and we didn't even have a pet with us) and the wine reception in the evening was a nice bonus. The location is just awesome as you are close to everything and just blocks away from the river.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear us4travelers,

You are super-cool! Thank you so much for the kind words about the staff and this great little hotel of ours!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel is very pretty and has a great location. We were so excited to stay here last November. Unfortunately, after going to bed we kept hearing a loud banging and realized it was the heat. Every time it came on, it would bang and clang. Then, at 5 AM the ipod dock alarm clock went off! I tried turning it off but apparently didn't get it turned off so I unpluggged it, and still it went off two more times. Finally I took it out in the hall way but could not figure out how to get it to turn off. I ended up putting my clothes on and taking it to the front desk and they did not know how to turn it off. I left it with them. My family and I never did get back to sleep so we were up early and after a manager was available I did tell them about all the problems of how noisy the room was with the heat and alarm. All I got was an I'm sorry. I own a Bed and Breakfast Inn in PA and I think I might have done something more than just an I'm sorry since I know I will never return to this hotel. I might have offered a return night stay and made sure the room was quieter or at least a discount on a return visit. The room was very pretty at this hotel but there was a strip of decorative fabric on the bed that other than decoration did not seem to serve a purpose. I am all about pretty rooms but I also think they should be functional.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy M

Dear PleasantViewFarmBB,

Thank you for staying with us last year, and for taking the time to share your thoughts on it now!

It is great to get the perspective of someone who owns and operates a Bed&Breakfast, as we pride ourselves in also being able to provide a stylish product inspired by our location and personalized service. I am sorry that you did not feel that we lived up to that on your stay last November, please accept my apologies!

I would love to talk more and personally assist you, please contact me at your convenience at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com.

Thanks and hope business is booming up there!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The husband and I had to do a quick trip to the DC area and spent one night at the Hotel Monaco. Great location, easy parking, clean room (huge room!), comfy beds… not much more you could ask for. Staff was helpful and kind. The only complaint I have is the loud guests in the hallway past midnight. I think there was a wedding that night and they didn't quite understand that the ENTIRE floor didn't need to hear their convo. They weren't loud enough to call the front desk, just rudely loud. Also, there is a French bakery next door – great place for breakfast! Would def stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank USParisian
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear USParisian,

Glad you picked us! Thanks for sharing your comments here as well!

In addition to the Le Madeleine restaurant across the street, next time you are here make sure you get to Jackson 20, our restaurant, for brunch - it is amazing!