WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Boston, MA
“Give this hotel a try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2006

I spent 4 nights here and used AAA rate. I appreciated free parking and closeness to Metro which is a 4-5 minute walk down street. Area safe, restaurants and a Starbucks across the street. All staff pleasant; especially appreciated that front desk staff were efficient and helpful. As a member of Holiday Inn's Priority Club I got free breakfast buffet. Offer was only for me, did not include my companion. Buffet ok - I had cereal, eggs, juice - waitperson brought me toast when I requested it. You can join Priority Club online - worth it.
Room had refrigerator and a microwave. I did not see any supermarkets in area.

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank muffin61

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2006

I stayed at the Holiday Inn during a girl's weekend trip....the hotel was really easy to find, in a good location, right next to the metro. If you are traveling to DC and want to stay on the outskirts...this is the perfect hotel...however, since we were visiting Alexandria also, I would have rather stayed closer to old town Alexandria. The hotel was several blocks away. The lobby is nice and I was able to get discount tickets for breakfast because I made the reservation through the Holiday Inn website. The staff is friendly and helpful. We did have a problem with some drunk banging on the doors and walls for over an hour one night.

The room was nice and clean but the coke machine and ice machine on our floor were both broken. I did check the mattresses upon entering the room and they were clean. Had no problem at all with the cleanliness of the room/bathroom. We didnt get enough towels at first but requested more and received them.

Overall, the hotel is ok. I would recommend this hotel if you are sightseeing in DC....If you are mainly interested in old town Alexandria, you should find something a little closer.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — too far from old town alexandria
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mrw42164
Los Angeles CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2006

We spent 5 nights here for a vacation in DC with 2 kids. The location and price were great.
The metro train is right across the parking lot and very convenient. Took only 10-15 minutes by train to get into DC. There are also several restaurants across the street. Starbuck's, Ruby Tuesdays and Ted's Montana Grill (really enjoyed this restaurant). Old Town Alexandria is about 2 miles away and has great shopping and restaurants as well. The pool (good size) has a lifeguard on duty. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
I had read in another review that you can request a refrigerator and microwave. We requested a refrigerator and they brought one right up and we were not charged. (It is based on availability) We also liked that we had free parking considering most hotels have high parking fees around DC. It is an older hotel but was very clean, comfortable and convenient for DC. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank cheryl4books
Brandon, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2006

I was put in charge of planning a family vacation for my parents, my sister and her husband, and my own family of four. After many hours of searching the internet trying to find a hotel that met all of our criteria, I selected this HI. I figured that it would be "average to O.K.", at best. (Metro location was very important to us.) Boy was I surprised!

The building is older, but the rooms were well decorated and maintained. Our rooms were quiet and clean. We did have a microwave and refrigerator in each of our rooms -- we had a mixture of kings and doubles. The pool was great for the kids. Everyone got signed up for HI's Priority Club so we got free breadkfasts, free drinks, and coupons for restaurant orders. We did take advantage of the breakfast and drink coupons. The breakfast buffet was very good with a great assortment.

The location is great! The metro is less than a half block away. There are plenty of restaurants and shops in the area. We felt very safe there.

The biggest plus for this property is the staff. They were very professional and hospitable. They even sent the shuttle the half block to the Metro station to pick us up in the middle of a sever thunderstorm.

The only complaint we had was the size of the bathrooms. They are quite small.

The next time we go back to D.C. we will be staying at the HI at Telegraph Road.

Stayed June 2006
5 Thank Rhonda B
VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2006

We enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and comfortable. Hotel was quiet. It's convenient to Interstate 95/495 and the metro station is right across the parking lot. The front desk staff was very friendly, professional, and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank angel72
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2006

I read the reviews on TripAdvisor prior to my stay at this hotel. So, I was sure to ask for a room on a floor as far away from school groups as possible.
The School group was on the 3rd floor. I was able to get the 10th floor. It is a smoking floor and I am not a smoker, but the staff allowed me to check the room and it did not smell.
The best part of this hotel is it's location right across from the Yellow Metro Line for a quick access in & out of DC. Plus there are a few restaurants within walking distance like 'Teds Montana Grill' that are quite good.
The Breakfast buffet for $7.50 could be better. It only had biscuits as breads i.e. no rolls, muffins or any other breakfast pastry, But you could always order from their AM menu instead.
The room was OK, Mattress a little too bouncy to my taste.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank TRafter
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2006

Room was good, staff was helpful. Short walking distance to metro station, a plus. Movie theater and restaurants within walking distance. Cons: poor soundproofing. Could hear people on either side, above, below. If you come here during a busy time, use earplugs.

• Stayed February 2006