“does the job”

Ranked #27 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Galway, Ireland
“does the job”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed here sharing a room as a family of four with two teenage sons. The rooms was adequate, if on thew small side with two slightly shrunk queen-size beds. Traveling into D.C. is easy from a near-by (200 meters) Metro station; note however that using the Metro in D.C. is quite expensive. The hotel is ok, nothing to write home about (including the mediocre breakfast buffet). Yes, there is a pool -- but it's divided into a swimming and a non-swimming part so lane-swimmers, don't get your hopes up! On the positive side, there are a couple of restaurants in the Plaza just across the street -- with Delia's grill and pizza place (see www.deliasbrickovenpizza.com) particularly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear GalwayGeographer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the issues you had with most of our amenities particularly with the pool and the dissatisfaction you encountered with our service level. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed June 30, 2014

stayed here over the weekend while visiting old towne and dc, I understand from staff its closing in just a few weeks so have to say I was surprised rooms were as cleaned as they were and things went smoother than I had expected after reading many of the reviews. everything in halls and such were kind of dated and a bit worn but room as good sized and well kept. was going to eat at the restaurant for breakfast one morning until I observed one of the servers eating something and spitting something into a cup while cleaning one of the tables so I guess not everyone is still giving it their all

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank d a m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear d a m,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am happy to know that you found our rooms clean and well kept. However, I am very sorry for any dissatisfaction you may have encountered during your stay, particularly with the condition of the hallways and the level of service you received. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I travel a lot on business, and this place didn't fit the bill. I didn't intend to write a review, but upon checkout my bill had a trip advisor card requesting that I share my opinion. Since they are trolling for reviews, here ya go....

I cancelled my rental car when I saw they had a shuttle for trips to DCA and old town Alexandria. When I arrived, I called for the shuttle, but the call was never answered, so I took a taxi. When I checked in, I asked about the shuttle to old town (good dining there) and was told that no shuttle drivers were working that day (Monday).

The room type I reserved wasn't available, so I was downgraded. They desk supervisor offered to comp my dinner, and to just come back to the from desk when I was ready. I returned a couple hours later and talked to the same desk clerks who now couldn't remember this offer. After much discussion, they remembered. The meal was fair (more focused on quantity than quality), though they got the order wrong.

Stuff happens when travelling, so I could take all this in stride. But the second day they crossed the line... no internet. The wireless stopped working so I was unable to work the next evening. I asked if there were nearby places, and they didn't have a clue. The hotel is out of the way, so after walking a mile or so, I gave up. This really set me back on my workload. Perhaps they take "Holiday" too literally.

The day before checkout, I asked to reserve the airport shuttle. It leaves on the hour, I had a meeting ending at 2 and they kindly agreed to reserve the shuttle for 2:15. Because so much had gone wrong, when I checked out the next morning I verify the reservation, and found out they had changed it to 2:00 (but without letting me know, somehow thinking it would OK for me to show up at 2:15 and be told I missed the shuttle).

I have another meeting in two weeks, and I know where I won't stay

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear UnoMasPorFavor,

First of all, thank you very much for staying with us. As hospitality professionals, we strive to be the best in the industry, but it seems we have failed to meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced, particularly with the shuttle, internet and level of service received. We value all the feedback we receive as this is our best resource for improvement.

Should your travel plans bring you back to the area, we look forward to serving you again, and hopefully you'll see the improvements made.

Charisse V
Buderim, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2014

This hotel is situated in a great location. Just 100 meters from the train station and across the road from a group of restaurants. We took the metro train into the city every day to save driving. very easy to navigate the train lines once you know. we got a travel card and put money on it. this is the easiest and cheapest way to go.mask the station master for help,in getting one if you cant work it out. we did and he was more than happy to help.There is also a restaurant in the hotel where you can get breakfast, lunch and dinner. Very reasonable priced. We had a double bed room and it was quite adequate for our needs, we stayed here for 4 nights and the only thing is there is no guest laundry. It is easy to find as it is just off the highway. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

It's a Holiday Inn, not a Hilton, so it was pretty much what I expected. If you want a full service hotel for more than just sleeping or relaxing, not for you. It was clean. The restaurant was fine. When we arrived, there was a problem with our 4 day reservation, but the staff already had a resolution that was acceptable, and we aren't ones to get upset by little issues. Our AC was fine, unlike others' complaints. It was 99 outside during our stay, and that isn't usual DC weather. One of the elevators didn't work as well as the other two. Fitness center was ok. Machines were average. Indoor pool was ok. We would stay there again because the metro stop is right across the street. We didn't need a hotel to hang around in much so it was fine. There is a Ted's, Ruby Tuesday, Cold Stone, movie theater, a Chipotle style place, Quizno's, and Starbucks across the street. It's easy to cross, pedestrian friendly. Takes 20-25 minutes on metro to get to mall area and sites. Easy. Reagan is about 3 stops there.

• Stayed June 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear AlyssaS532,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased to hear that our location and amenities worked for your needs. It is always hugely motivating on our end to receive commendable feedback from our valued guests like you.

On the other hand, please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the elevators may have caused you. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were supposed to stay Tuesday through Friday night, but the AC was broken and it was in excess of 95 degrees each day. On the second night the front desk said the problem had been fixed, but it was not. Also, internet did not work first night. After talking with a manager on several occasions they did comp one night of the stay and let us check out a day early without being charged. Felt like the hotel should have done more to accommodate its customers.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ryan A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Ryan A,

Ben J
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I stayed from Mon - Thurs. By Monday evening, the A/C went out. By Tuesday, there was no internet but I had an important paper to work on/research. The restaurant was out of fries but didn't inform me until after the rest of my meal was done and ready to be served. I called the front desk on Wed and was informed that the A/C was being worked on so it would be a few hours before I could feel it. Before the night was up, it must have stopped worked AGAIN. By the time I checked out on Thursday, the A/C didn't feel as if it was working. Government employees were entitled to free breakfast vouchers, but I had to go back to the front counter to ask for the vouchers. Had my colleague not asked if I received any, I wouldn't have known I was entitled to the government vouchers. The door to the room had to physically be pulled to close or my room would've been unsecured (I'm glad I just didn't walk away and checked my door).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Joyce J,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review of our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you have encountered particularly the room amenities, Internet service and the level of service you received. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay.

Again, thank you for your recent stay and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.