WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle

Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
North Carolina
“Totally acceptable yet unremarkable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

Stayed overnight for visit to D.C. This property has been recently remodeled and everything seems fresh. On the positive side are the numerous tv channels (100+), fast elevators, a refrigerator/microwave in every room, and nice pillows and towels. I liked that a maintenance request form was placed in the guest guide. Also, the indoor pool looked nice even though I didn't use it, and the hotel is located near a Metro station and major highways. I was on the ninth floor and had no noise issues.

On the negative side was the very compact bathroom. Also a negative is the fact that Holiday Inn charges $6.95+ for the standard continental breakfast that is included at no charge for competitor chains. The lobby seemed a bit small as well.

That said, my stay was totally acceptable with no issues. Yet there was nothing that made me want to stay here again. Should I visit the area again I would look at other hotels, but I could be comfortable with staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lee S
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Dear Lee S,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your room accommodations and that our amenities are at par with your expectations. We apologize you were not fully satisfied with the cost of our breakfast options. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Thank you again. Hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N.
Case Manager
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
San Jose, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

Our California high school group stayed at this Holiday Inn for two nights during a field trip to the northeast. The hotel was overall clean and rooms were nicely decorated, and our students really enjoyed the indoor pool. The rate we paid was a bit pricey, but the location made it worthwhile - only a block or so from the Metro Rail station. The group had a nice dinner at Ruby Tuesday across the street, which was also convenient. The hotel offered a hot breakfast in the restaurant, but it was too expensive for our students' budgets. The free continental breakfast they provided was nothing but terrible - sugary cereal and even more sugary muffins! The hotel's location close to Metro Rail is its main selling point.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank GroupLeaderSJHS
Norfolk VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

I travel to DC on business once a month and I love this hotel. It is in a great location, which will improve as soon as the road construction ends. Service at the Desk was always prompt and efficient. Room was very clean, roomy and very comfortable.

The only downside was the Restaurant. It was seriously understaffed for breakfast. The wait staff worked very hard, but they had to do everything from seat, serve, bus and check out. No Supervisor to be seen or to pick up the Hosting and Check duties that would have really improved the overall service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank VA T
Hackettstown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

This hotel was very close to the metro, so the convenience alone would cause me to book again while visiting Washington DC. We used the metro to visit DC and Old Town, where there is a free trolley to King Street, awesome!

The indoor pool was heated and clean and a big bonus!

The hotel was clean and safe, and I did not hear the traffic or other guests. The other guests included some school groups, but we were well enough away to only hear them in the lobby when were were leaving or coming back!

The staff was courteous and helpful for the most part. Here are the exceptions: As we arrived during the evening (11pm) after 5 hours in the car, the night desk clerk could have been a bit more courteuous and helpful. He said we didn't have a reservation and I had to pull out my Hotels.com printout while he scowled at me. Then when I asked about the location of the metro, he vaguely pointed at the front of the hotel and grunted.

After a long drive, the beds and pillows were a dream! Second night too, so I know that it was not just being overtired.

The restaurant is to be avoided. We waited about 15 minutes to be seated for breakfast. The restaurant was not full to capacity but slightly busy. We were seated, but no one came to take our order for 40 minutes. I tried making eye contact with various waitstaff and even calling out, but we were ignored, as the waitstaff for what I could see, wandered around aimlessly. The overworked hostess finally came to us and was suprised we didn't have our food, let alone hadn't had our order taken. She took our order. After that, a waiter came with bread - cold underdone toast - and told us it came with our meal. We got our drinks, minus a water, and it took about 10 minutes more after that to get water. By the time we got our food, the restaurant had almost cleared out, except for the line waiting to be seated. The hostess was trying to clear tables, get orders and placate other diners as, again, the waitstaff seemed to be hiding or wandering around. After more than an hour to get some eggs and bacon - which was very good, by the way - we were given 25% off our meal, comped our drinks and kids meal. The hostess was apologetic and courteous.

I always give someone a second chance. We headed down for breakfast the next morning (with an alternate in mind just in case). There was a line to be seated and we were told that the wait to be seated would be 10 minutes. There were two tables seated, the rest empty. Another family in line told us they had already been there 10 minutes and were told they needed to clean tables. Once again the hostess was hurring around, clearing and wiping down tables while I observed the same waitstaff wandering around. We decided to go with our alternate and left.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to stay if you are visiting Washington DC and the surrounding area. There are places to eat right across the street, which I would recommend visiting. They would be well advised to take a look at the running of the restaurant because it would have greatly enhanced our stay if it was run properly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Mike M
Norfolk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

This hotel had several things I like all in one place....indoor pool (but no jacuzzi, darn it), rooms with microwaves and fridges (hard to find in some business hotels), a bar, and a restaurant, room service, airport shuttle, and it was pretty close to most of DC. (I'd planned to go to Raleigh and I couldn't find any hotels with an indoor pool, fridge and microwave, how weird is that?) It also had great access to the metro and was near that pretty little area called Carlysle for a nice walkabout.

ALso on the upside, it had one of the best indoor hotel pools, with lifeguard, I've seen in awhile, twice as big as most, with an 8 ft deep end, and water temp was great.

On the downside, the restaurant organization could use some work. That was their real weak point. The staff all was working hard but service was chaotic and orders were wrong. I sort of thought I was in Fawlty Towers for meals. It was a little better off-peak hours, thank heavens, but that really needs work.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank guestNorfolk
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear sedonalass,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced. I was disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience when you visited the restaurant, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. I was pleased to hear the rest of your stay was great and you did enjoy our great pool area. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
forest hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

This hotel turned out to be better than expected. First, the room we were given was updated and clean, with comfortable beds. The bathroom was a little on the small side, but had great water pressure and lots of thick, fluffy towels. The indoor pool was heated, and was a wonderful way for our two young kids to relax after a day of sightseeing in D.C. Finally, the location of this hotel can't be beat. The hotel is literally a stone's throw from the metro, which takes you into D.C. proper in under 15 minutes. And across from the metro station is a Starbucks, a movie theater, and wonderful restaurants (highly recommend Yves' Bistro for classic French fare and Galaie Thai for Thai food and sushi). Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sireneuse
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

Read the reviews of this hotel before booking this hotel. There were three reasons for choosing this hotel: close to a metro station (3 min walk), a rate lower than the standard government rate and nicely updated property. I was unable to check in before noon, but got a parking permit before heading to a meeting. Once I checked in, I was surprised to get a suite (two baths and a huge living area). I was able to sleep well despite the constant noises from the beltway (I-95) nearby. The breakfast was tasty. There is nothing to complain about this hotel. But there are many nicer properties to choose in the area, especially, the quieter ones.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business