“Run away from this hotel!!”

Travelodge Alexandria
Ranked #49 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I reserved a room here, while I was in the area to visit my husband's grave at Arlington. I reserved a non-smoking king bed with fridge for my medication on ground floor. 1st room was on 2nd floor at the end of dark hallway, smelled like I entered a cigar bar, no fridge. 2nd room AC didnt work, bed was "used". 3rd room was on ground floor, no fridge, but AC worked. Went to gas station to buy ice chest and roach spray. I asked manager where the ice machine was, its broken. So i had to walk back to gas station to buy ice. The Manager was rude, pretended not to understand English, and when i voiced my complaint he proceeded to threaten to kick me out of my room...kick a new widow out of her room at 1130Pm? This place should be leveled, and the management fired. This is my 3rd stay in a row at Travelodge, all were nightmares. 3 strikes you are out. I will never stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed April 28, 2012

This is a bare-bones accommodation but not bad. Our room (233) was on a corner of two busy streets so it was pretty noisy, even early in the morning. Lots of sirens,buses, commuters,etc. But no noise at all from other rooms. An easy walk (10-min) to both the Metro and King Street. I had to ask for a blow dryer when we got there, and then realized there was no plug in the bathroom! Plus no conditioner. So I had to blow-dry in the room where the light was poor and I think I went around for a few days with freaky-looking hair. On the plus side, as mentioned by others, the location close to Starbucks and a Trader Joes was a big plus.

Room Tip: The second floor has a long twisty hallway, so if you're upstairs, try to stay away from the lob...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We had a gala to attend in DC and booked this room for value - well, you get what you pay for. Rooms WERE clean but I was sceeverd out by the bathroom which was old and dingy and seemed to have a very dirty tub. Not sure what else to say expect don't stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Was disapointed to check into a room that was a daylight basement looking onto an alley with a piece of metal that cars drove over all night. Room was not at all what you see in the advertisement. Very old construction. Ceiling above the tub was sagging and bubbling as though about to come down, evidence of poor and unfinished repair job. Shower head was really rusty. The corners in the bathroom where a vacuum couldn't reach were filthy and piled with dirt. Floor was not mopped, I cleaned it with a washcloth. Someone elses "short hair" in the tub. Remote didn't work. Light bulb burned out in lamp next to bed. No microwave or refrigerator as advertised. Linens were stained, shabby, and pillows old and stained and flat. I can overlook individual problems, but this was a bad combination of neglect. It is conveniently located to metro, 6 blk walk, Starbucks and great Burrito shop across the street, but I'll take my business elsewhere. I'm surprised that Travelodge endorses this room.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Every room is different, so know what you want. There are outside entrance ones and upstairs with a hall way. The upstairs are nicer but no pets allowed.

Each room is different size, we had a tiny hole in the wall on the first leve, felt like we were back in the 50s sleeping in a basement.
Then we transferred upstairs to a room that was more like a suite! With double sinks, enough space to do cartwheels.

The location is perfect, free parking, almost across the street from Starbucks. (My hubby was in heaven) Tho they have free breakfast, we prefer to avoid the carbs, junk, obese crowd.

Nice staff, planning on returning with my dogs, like I said, best buy around this tourist town.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs rooms, bigger, newer, nicer, but no pets allowed.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mozartmama
Reviewed April 8, 2012

This is just an ordinary travelodge - clean, ok, nothing special and not esp cheap at $90 a night when we stayed - but its location makes it a winner. Alexandria is a brilliant place to stay to see Washington, and this hotel is 15 mins walk out of old town alexandria, which is a really lovely pretty old town, with great restaurants. This hotel is 15 mins walk from Braddock metro station which is 20 mins into central Washington or one stop from the Ronald Reagan National Airport. So you don't need to hire a car while you stay here - though there is free parking if you need it. You can also visit Washington's house at Mount Vernon without a car by taking the Metro - one stop to Huntington, where you get the 101 bus for $1.70 or something small like that and it drops you right at Mount Vernon.

It is on the corner of two main roads, so can be noisy. Ask for a quiet room - 129 is quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - the hotel is on the corner of two busy roads. Room129 is quiet. Or take earp...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I fully understand the saying, you get what you pay for. However, that does not excuse filthy living conditions. I specifically joined tripadivor to review my stay at this motel last week, March 18-20.

A discount motel does not need to be spacious, have extremely comfortable bedding, or major in room amenities, but it DOES NEED to have a moderate level of cleanliness. Specifically when it comes to linens and bedding.

I initially was willing to overlook the unvacuumed floor, but the deep sweat stains on the pillows, water marks littering the mattress, and holes in the linens pushed it too far.

It's not worth the discount--stay anywhere else no matter the prices.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple