“Great value! Great stay!”

Days Inn Alexandria South
Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Missouri
“Great value! Great stay!”
Reviewed July 11, 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights during our family vacation to Washington, D.C. We picked it for the location to the Metro and the price. The price was great and the service was wonderful. Older hotel, but kept clean. It is about 1 mile from the Metro and the hotel will shuttle you to the station but not pick you up, but the walk back is down hill). You can park your car at the Metro for $5 a day, which is what we did. The hotel has an outdoor pool with a lifeguard. Very clean pool. Only open from about 4 pm to 9pm, which was a small bummer, although it worked for us as we went sight seeing during the day. The free breakfast was probably the biggest downside. The hotel was full of people and the place to get breakfast was small and crowded. They served breakfast from 6 am - 9am but by 8:30 they were out of most food and it was not retocked - so get your food early! We ended up getting McDonalds two days to just avoid the crowd and hassle. On another food note, the resturant attached to the hotel has WONDERFUL gyros and pizza.

We had a situation after the first night, with our room not locking as we were getting ready to leave for the day. The front desk sent a maintence worker up immediately and when he coudn't fix it right away, they gave us a new room so we could secure our items. On our last night we realized that we had left a shoe in the previous room and they let us back in to get it. They checked back with us about an hour later to see if we found it. (we had) We thought that was really kind for them to check with us.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Phil
Reviewed May 28, 2009

on the outside, my initial feeling was this place is a dump. After seeing the rooms, im glad i booked this hotel. Huge clean rooms, Queen size beds. Price is a little bit high though

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Liverpool
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Picked this location as a resting site following a long haul flight into Dulles.

Helpfull booking system and attentive to our needs with a great, simple food operation on the property.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas
Reviewed April 28, 2009

The hotel is a little dated however the rooms are in great shape, large and updated. This isn't very convenient if you're trying to use public transportation however the Huntington Metro Station is 5 minutes away by Fairfax Connector Bus 171 which runs every 1/2 hour. Unfortunately the street that it's on is very busy so walkers take note. There's food close by, Metro. I was staying here for business and it had the best continental breakfast layout I've seen in DC for the price range. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are safe and clean.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I had a flight leaving Reagan Nat airport on Fri morning at 7am and I live about 2 hours from the airport so my goal was to find a clean place to lodge the night before so that I could get up and head to the airport early the next morning.

I didn't want to spend a terrible about of money since DC hotels are expensive but I wanted a clean room and safe environment.

I selected the Days Inn on Richmond Hwy.

LOCATION: This is a great location as it related to the airport. Once you leave the hotel and travel up US 1 North, you'll run right into the airport. Took me about 6 minutes at 4:30 am on a Friday morning.

PRICE: $69

CHECKIN/OUT: Pretty seemless. Face to face person at checkin around 8pm at night. They offer 24 hour front desk assistance. So Fri morning at 4:30 am, when I walked down to the front desk, the glass door was locked. A lady (from the lobby sofa) arrose and asked how she could help me. I yelled (thru the glass door - checking out.
She went to the desk, printed my receipt and feed it thru a slot in the side door. I did the same w/room key and I was done with checkout. Kinda wierd but it worked. Just be warned that if you use or sit on the lobby sofa, I can only assume based on my experience that someone apparently rests or sleep there most evenings.

PARKING: Alot of parking right ourside the lobby - well lit. There were about 10 cars there on a Thursday evening.

ROOM: HERE WE GO !! There website says they have 108 rooms. There were only 10 cars in the lot so I can only assume they were not full. I was put on the 2nd floor in the very back of the hotel. The door faced the pool area. Yes it was dark back there, but I knew I wouldn't be coming and going so that didn't bother me.
The room itself smelled badly like cig smoke, although it was a non smoking room. I could have asked to me moved, but I decided to just deal with it. Took my shower. Bathroom was okay. Did have signs of 'mold' in the corners and a very rustly looking AC/Heat vent in the bathroom ceiling. TV worked fine. Had a King bed. It was 20 degrees so I turned on the heat. The heating/AC unit was pretty loud. Checked in around 8pm and was in bed by 10 pm - just needed to get a few hours sleep before my 4:30 am checkout and head to airport.

Had to turn off heat within 30 minutes because it was too loud for me to sleep. Room was warm enough by then. The trouble started around 11pm. Heard someone enter room right beside me.

My first concern is: WHY WOULD THE HOTEL PUT SOMEONE DIRECTLY BESIDE ME WHEN THERE WERE ONLY ABOUT 10 GUESTS?

The room doors are made of heavy steel and are very loud when someone enters/exits.

To make a very long story (AND NIGHT) short, there was a hooker in the room beside me. Every hour and half, she left the room (heard the door slam, heard her place all on cell phone and hear her high heels clicking on the concrete walk way outside the rooms). Then her 'guest' would shower and leave. Within 30-40 minutes, she'd be back (clicking heals on walkway) and a new male voice outside the room with her) and of course I got the pleasure of hearing all the moans and noices that come in the night with that type of entertaining (if you know what I mean).

All I can say is what an evening. I got about 2 hours of sleep and was so exhausted at 4:30am when I had to head to the airport to catch my flight to the bahama's for my wedding anniversary.

I can NOT recommond this hotel - especially to anyone with children. Of course, its not the hotels fault that they checked in a hooker as a guest - but it IS there fault for putting two people in rooms next to each other, when they were obviously not a capacity. As you walked past most of the rooms, they were completely dark in side at 8pm when I checked in, plus the parking lot was dead so I am confident that they could have placed this guest somewhere else where she could have conducted her business without impacting ME.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Jenn123444
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed November 22, 2008

We spend 4 nights at this Hotel. I was a little concerned after reading some of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor and expected the worst.
We were pleasantly surprised. We had booked a room with one Queen bed, but were offered a room with two king beds for the same price (69.49 per night). The beds were very comfortable, the mattresses looked like they were brand new. The room was clean and so was the bathroom. We had plenty of towels every day. Also soap and shampoo and lotion. There was no bad smell (as some people had mentioned in the reviews) the Heater/AC worked great and was quiet. We had a 32" TV a fridge and a microwave. The Breakfast was ok, about what you would expect for a continental breakfast. Even if we came for breakfast at 8:30AM there was still plenty of food. They had Muffins, Bagels, Toast and Cereal. Juices and Coffee.
The Front Desk staff was very friendly and helpful.
The Hotel is located about 1 mile + from the Huntington Metro.
Instead of walking to the Metro we took the Bus #171, it stops accross the street from the Motel. The Metro is the end stop, so you can't miss it. The neighborhood around the Metro Station looked a little "questionable" another reason to take the bus.
If and when we go back to DC, we will certainly stay at this Hotel again. It certainly is better and cleaner than some other budget Motels we have stayed in.
We booked this stay at Wyndhamrewards.com and got the senior discount.

• Liked — The location and the price
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank richinge
Leawood, KS
Reviewed September 4, 2008

We (the five of us) stayed at this hotel during a recent trip to Washington, DC.

The rooms are on the smaller side. The rollaway bed could only fit in one location in the room. In the evenings we were all in close quarters with one another. That wasn't a problem because we were all asleep within 90 minutes of returning to the room.

The furniture in the room was older but adequate for the task at hand. The bathroom and the room itself was always clean, and the housekeeping staff did a nice job each day. Water pressure in the shower was fine, and there was abundant hot water. The only issue with the room that we had was power outlets. With two adults and three kids, and the requisite cell phones, movie cameras, portable DVD players, etc., we couldn't find enough easily accessible outlets to power/recharge our things. I suggest that you bring a power strip if you are in a similar situation.

The front desk staff was helpful and courteous throughout. Our requested rollaway bed was delivered within 20 minutes after check in. We also made use of their complimentary transportation to the Metra line (though they only provide that one way). The continental breakfast each morning was great for the kids (though they kept running out of Krispy Creme), but somewhat sparse for adults. It was enough though to tide you over until lunch.

We selected this hotel based on value for the dollar. And it met those expectations. We knew going in that it wasn't a five star hotel; we didn't need one of that caliber because we truly only slept there. The rest of the time we were out enjoying the nation's capital.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family