“Just OK, Price good.”

Days Inn Alexandria South
Ranked #36 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here because it was near our son's home, who we were visiting. Hotel had been renovated, but it still looked like an older place. However, the $68 rate was much lower than all those around and was more in our price range.
There was a lot of noise from the hwy, but with the heater fan on, we were able to sleep for the most part. Pillows were not fluffy, but shredded foam. If you go, take your own!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here from Oct. 1 to Oct. 5. My husband and I had room 311 (queen bed) on the 3rd floor facing the parking lot and my parents and brother had room 310 (double queen) on the 3rd floor facing the pool both non-smoking. I always pick a hotel according to price and reviews. The reviews were mixed, but I thought I would try it out for our Washington D.C. vacation and I needed somewhere close to a metro station. We wouldn't be at the hotel that much anyway.

Pros:
Our stay was pleasant and our rooms were clean and comfortable with no bugs. The staff was friendly when we arrived. Metro is around a 15 min walk up a slight hill, through the apartment parking lot next door. Wal-Mart and restaurants are also about a 15 min walk slightly uphill.

Cons:
We had some trouble with the Wi-Fi in our room not working or being really slow and our TV was outdated and some channels were fuzzy. My parents shower would change to cold or hot without warning.
Just a warning about the shuttle service: Yes, they have an hourly shuttle to the metro for free and yes, they will pick you up from the metro with a $5 charge (only cash that you give directly to the driver) per room BUT, their service is mainly for driving the people but not the people's luggage because they are afraid their vehicle will get damaged. (The driver does not load the luggage, you do it.) They would not drive us to the metro when we checked out because of our luggage. They said if it was just one or two pieces of luggage it would be okay, but we were five people and my husband and I traveled internationally so of course we have more luggage! However, when we arrived on the 1st, with all our luggage, they did pick us up, but didn't explain the above info to us, but told us when we left that they didn't want to leave us stranded. We had to walk to the metro when we left.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2012

In D.C. for a doctor appointment and had little selection of affordable places to stay. Although for what I paid; $76.30, I expected the facility to be in better shape and be much cleaner. The elevator must have been 100 years old and much painting on exterior was peeling. The breakfast was very meager and I did not have my room key with me and was hassled, had to go to my car to get it before being served.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Ideal for those not wanting to pay motel prices in central Washington. Our room, no 140, was at the end of the ground floor opposite the pool. Note that the pool is only open until Labor Day at the start of September which we did not know when we booked online. However, as we were siteseeing this was not a worry. An hourly free shuttle runs from the hotel to the nearest metro station (the return journey is charged at $5). Our king bed room was clean with fresh linens and we did not see a bug of any description the whole time. The breakfast area was clean and the breakfast items varied. However, the layout was a bit strange with coffee/juice in one room, waffle maker just outside the seating area and other items in the breakfast room itself. The 'hot' part of breakfast consisted of small egg patties that you had to heat up in the microwave - no sausage/bacon.
Front desk staff were very polite and helpful and we heard very little noise at night even with 2 floors above us. The metro takes about 15mins into Washington and, being on route 1, the motel is only 11 miles from Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington (separate review).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I recently stayed at this Days Inn after relocating from NJ. I was looking for a place so ended up staying almost a month. Though the service was good. I had bugs in my room. Two of them were roaches. My room was sprayed and the smell was so strong that I has trouble staying in the room. The next morning I requested a room change and by the time I came back from work the room had aired out.
This was not the worst of it. After I found a place I went looking through my belonging and found some of my clothes were missing. My writing instruments and one of my spoons shaped like a whale were also missing. I am looking through my closet and I see less clothing than I packed. I called the motel to speak with the manager and I am still waiting for him to get back to me.
I may have given this place a better rating had my belonging not been stolen.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business