“If it's FREE it's for me!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria

Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Alexandria
Elmer, New Jersey
“If it's FREE it's for me!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

FREE buffet breakfast! FREE parking! FREE shuttle to Metro! FREE Wi-Fi in your room! This from a hotel just outside DC. Just short of amazing. Reasonably priced and great service from very friendly staff. From the onset I had excellent service from Michele at the Front Desk. Although faced with a large group checking in, Michele was fast, efficient and friendly throughout the entire process! And Bernadette, the Night Manage, was present to ensure everyone's check-in process went smoothly.

Although some in the group took advantage of the shuttle (7AM/9PM), since parking is FREE on the weekends at the Metro, my wife & I opted to drive to the Metro Van Dorn station just about a 1/2 mile away. Since the hotel is on a busy road I do NOT recommend walking to/from Metro (besides there is a rather 'scary' underpass you would have to navigate if you came back at night)

We enjoyed full days of DC sightseeing during our 2-night stay and returned to our very comfortable bed. Our room faced the road so we got some traffic noise which was drowned out by the AC fan. Get a room facing the rear of hotel for a quieter night.

The hotel is very clean and well-maintained throughout. Two elevators in operation so never had a wait time. Hallway noise was minimal even with the large amount of people staying there.

Breakfast buffet was kept fresh by attentive staff and there was PLENTY to choose from--waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, cereal, danish, bagels, fruit, yogurt. What's not to like? Will definitely stay here on our next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nicemeany
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your very kind review of our hotel and staff. I have shared your comments with our team, it is great to be able to share with them when their efforts make for a great stay for our guests. We hope to see you again soon.

Thank you again.

Alexandria, VA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Last year we were looking for a reasonably priced hotel that would allow us to take the subway into Washington, but be easily reached by car. We were coming from the south (up 95) and this hotel seemed to fit the bill. We were happy with it last year, so this year once we decided to visit Washington again we decided to return to it. This year we came from the north (Gettysburg), but still found it easy to reach at 9pm, taking the 495 around from the west (I don't think I'd want to try it at rush hour from the north, although it was fine last year at rush hour from the south). Take the ramp off the 495 at S Van Dorn, turn left at the lights, then left into the parking lot.

They have a shuttle to the Metro (2 minutes away) that you can call for on your return if it is before about 9:15pm. We have also walked from the Metro (less than 10 minutes for us) - come out where the bus dropped you off, walk acroos the parking lot and one block to Van Dorn, then under 2 bridges and up the hill to the hotel. It is quite safe according the locals. One train will take you past Reagan airport, then over to the Georgetown U area and on to the Smithsonian - we found it very handy.

The room wasn't particularly large and the air conditioner was somewhat loud (blowing air sound), but it had 2 chairs and was clean and comfortable. The room was quiet - no external noise, or noise from the hallway. Elevator was fast enough - we didn't seem to have to wait for it very long ever. Breakfast was good - a very long counter with everything spread out so that it wasn't cramped, lots of tables, 3 waffle makers, hot eggs and bacon or sausage, etc, kept fresh right up to 9:30am when it was closing.

Lobby has 1 computer for guest use, never had trouble getting time on it. Check in/out easy and the staff delightful and helpful (we had many questions concerning Washington). Pool is outside (beside the breakfast room) and looked clean, although we didn't use it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us last year enough to return to our hotel for a second visit and hope to see you again many more times in the future. Thank you for your kind words about our complimentary breakfast buffet and shuttel service to/from the metro station.

I am happy to say we just finished making a business center adjacent to our lobby which makes for a quiter area than the lobby for computer users. Additionally, we are building a snack shop in the area next to our front desk where our guest use computer had been located. We hope to have it finished by mid September and it will offer our guests a selection of beverages and snacks for purchase 24 hours a day, there will even be ice cream for those with a sweet tooth.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Berlin, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with a large group from our church. My experiences with Comfort Inn's have not been that great:). Usually old and dirty and in need of updating. This one has just been updated. New everything! Furniture, rugs, bedding, etc. No old comforters here. Fresh duvet's! Also, they are pet friendly so that was a plus for me since I travel with my small dog. Good breakfast and staff was pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We have been working hard and will continue to work hard to provide our guests with a Comfort Inn & Suites that is well above average and are very happy that you agree.

Thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you again very soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I wanted an affordable place not in dc proper and for $99. this could not be beat. The beds were very comfy and pillows just right. Room was clean and breakfast was fine. The staff is one of the friendliest I've encountered- and the anytime free shuttle to and from the Metro was suburb!!! Plus there was free parking- unlike where I last stayed in d.c. where I paid almost $50 per night to park! I will be staying here again!

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for letting us know that you had a great stay at our hotel and thank you for your compliment of our staff service. I have shared your comments with our entire team as a encouragement, thank you..

We really appreciate your comment about liking our beds and pillows, to give our guests a better pillow selection we have been replacing our pillows with two firm and two softer pillows on each bed to give our guests more choice for their comfort. We are 80% done with this replacement and hope to have them all replaced in the next month. This takes a while because we have nearly 1,200 pillows on the beds in our hotel.

Thank you for picking our hotel for your visit to our area. We hope to see you again very soon.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We flew into the Capital area late on a Monday night and wanted somewhere to stay that was close to the airport and in the general direction of Mount Vernon. The family settled on the Comfort Inn because it had free breakfast and more importantly a pool. The kids had a great time swimming and although hours were posted they were able to swim longer than the posted time. Great for those checking in late maybe not so great for anyone with a room near the pool.
The room was nice although nothing fancy. It was clean and comfortable.
The breakfast was par for the course, the same waffle machine and oatmeal you find at most of these hotel food lines. The eggs were scrambled but I'm not sure they were actually eggs. Again simply what you'd expect at a hotel food line.
All in all I'd probably stay here again with the kids so they could swim and eat breakfast but I'd go somewhere else with my wife.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for staying with us for your short stay in our area. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would return if you are our the area in the future. You noted breakfast was ok but you were not sure if the scrambled eggs were eggs, please let me assure you they are real eggs and we serve a lot of them to our guests.

It's great to hear that your kids enjoyed our pool. Noise from the pool area is not a problem due to the distance it is from our rooms tower and our guest rooms on that end of the building don't start until the 3rd floor.

Thank you again for staying with us, we hope to see you again very soon.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I travel to DC quite often and have stayed at budget Inns & 5 Star Hotels that claim the highest service in pleasing their customers. This Comfort Inn is easy to find, easy to get to and has nearby shopping and restaurants which is a priority for 2, 3 or 4 day stays.

I want to say this first of all, this was the first time I have stayed at this Comfort Inn & Suites as I usually stay off of 395 or in Crystal City. I it located on 495 and one exit from 395. The hotel staff was very polite and helpful and seemed to go out of their way to assist me. Unlike some hotels I have stayed at that customer service was lacking. As a frequent guest with Choice Hotels and a Choice Member I usually get a better than standard room such as a room with a King sized bed, but upon my arrival I was upgraded to a Suite which was unexpected and very much appreciated.

Breakfast in complimentary and a snack bar is open till 9:30 pm. There is no room service but they offer a take out service and the snack bar staff is nice and pleasant.

The only issue I had and the only reason I did not rate this as a five was my shower had a mold issue in the drywall seam above the shower. However, seeing as the rooms were being renovated and this particular wasn't one of them I wasn't to upset about it.

I will tell all of you I will not hesitate to stay here again, in fact it may be my new hotel of choice when I visit DC from now on. Cheers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for your kind words about out staff. We try to offer our Choice Privileges guest an upgrade whenever we are able to do so and I am glad you liked the suite we assigned to you.

In addition to our snak bar which you mentioned is open in the evenings from 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM, we are building a guest pantry/snack shop next to the desk in our lobby. We hope to have this up and running by the first week in September. It will be open 24 hours a day to provide additional options for our guests withoug having to leave the hotel.

Thank you again for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This hotel was very nice. And the staff was very good. Easy access on and off the Capital Beltway. Room was nice and clean. I really enjoyed my stay here. I would recomend this hotel to anyone who is coming to D.C. I will be back.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for staying at our hotel and thank you for taking the time to post a review about out hotel on TripAdvisor. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your recommendation for other travelers to stay here.

Thank you again for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon.

General Manger