“great budget accommodations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Alexandria
Israel
“great budget accommodations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

If you are looking for affordable accommodations for a DC trip, this is the place. I booked it on chance, testing my luck with Priceline's Great Deals, so I didn't know I was getting this motel, but it exceeded all my expectations. The staff was friendly and jovial even when my kids' toilet flooded. The room was basic but clean with very prompt housekeeping service. It is about a five minute drive to the Van Dorn Metro station. It is five minutes only because of traffic. There is a complimentary shuttle service to the station. I didn't use the pool, but my kids did and it was fine though very small.

The breakfast was truly the best I have every had in an American budget motel. There is waffles, scrambled and boiled eggs, bacon or sausage, biscuits and gravy, yoghurt, fresh fruit as well as the usual cold foods you find in motels.

I highly recommend this motel for families.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank klovetotravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My family and I have stayed at the Comfort Inn on Van Dorn Street for over ten years now on and off. It is our go-to default Alexandria hotel as it is a decent two-star hotel, moderately priced, and conveniently located just off the I-95 Franconia/Van Dorn exit. It has all the basics, including cable tv, included continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi, a shuttle to the metro and a small outdoor pool. It's not conveniently walkable to anything but both the Van Dorn metro stop and a small strip mall with restaurants (Pickett Street) are walkable in less than 20 minutes if you risk your life crossing Van Dorn on foot and take your chances navigating the rather sketchy underpass (not recommended after dark).

All of my family have been satisfied with this location until our June 29 2012 stay. That evening a major thunderstorm swept through the area leaving a lot of devastation in its wake. The storm came through the Alexandria area just after 10 pm and, for some unknown reason, set off the fire alarm at the hotel. This necessitated a mass evacuation into the stairwells. As the guests discovered, the stairwells exit at the second floor onto the grounds, and re-entry into the stairwell is not possible. This left the unhappy guests milling around in their pajamas in 70 mph winds, heavy rain driving sideways, and lots and lots of air-to-ground lightening strikes until they could finally worke their way around to the lobby doors in the front. No one, including the staff, had any idea what was going on and the soaked guests huddled in the lobby, some napping on the floor, until finally staging a general revolt and fleeing back to their rooms.

I would still stay here again due to the moderate prices and the convenience. However, this drives home the lesson that you and your families should always check the emergency escape routes in any hotel and plan accordingly.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank cookie2000
State Road, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed here last night on stormwork after being moved from Springfield Virginia. The hotel was very clean, and the people were friendly. The beds slept pretty good but they were a bit firm. The air conditioning was cold and I slept very well. The room cleanliness was great, I didn't see a spot of dust anywhere. The outdoor pool looked nice but we never got to use it beacause it closed at 8 and we didn't get back from working till 8. It would be nice if the pool stayed open a little longer. Our stormcrew could have used a nice cool dip in the pool after working in the heat all day. I would recommend this place as a good clean place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank jmwood73
Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

After a lot of hotel research, we decided that this would be the one. Free parking, shuttle, continental breakfast, and wifi was what we were looking for. There were a few poor reviews before we booked but enough good ones to take the risk. The hotel itself was very clean, and the staff were polite and friendly. Our room was perfect for the amount of time we actually spent in there. We chose a basic room, 1 queen bed which included a fridge and microwave. Other reviews complained about only receiving a few TV stations. It didn't take me long to figure out that the remote wasn't configured properly. Thanks to the free wifi, I was able to view the local TV guide and had no problem receiving all stations. The breakfast was great and full of variety from hot to cold items, perfect for fillingy yourself up before a day of sightseeing. I hadn't noticed any large groups during our stay so the shuttle was always ready to go to and from the Van Dorn Station (3 min drive to metro and 30 min to Smithsonian stop). I didn't see any construction during our stay and assume it's all finished. The only "trouble" I had during our visit was a broken ice machine on our floor, which I noticed was being replaced with a brand new one as we were leaving. Anyone on a budget should not look any further. The hotel exceeded our expectations and I have no problem recommending it to others. Thanks again Comfort Inn for a great stay!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NeedaBreakN0w
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We were in the area for a vacation to Washington D.C. The room was really nice and the staff was very helpful. There were a lot of choices to choose from on the breakfast bar. (Although some of the people staying there didn't know how to clean up after themselves). It was very close to the Van Dorn Metro Station.A boy scout troop of about 40 was staying there at the same time. Unfortunately, there is only one shuttle to the metro. We had to wait for thirty minutes each day before we could get to the metro stop. Therefore, we were late meeting up with our group who was staying in the D.C. area. My suggestion would be to have more shuttles if there is a large group or for the group to make arrangements to get to the metro station another way.

Room Tip: We chose a suite. It was good if someone wanted to stay up longer since there was a separate room.