New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria

Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria
Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Nice property, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed here for 5 days in September whilst I was on a sightseeing holiday. The hotel location is sufficient for seeing all the touristy DC sights. It is close to a Metro station (the Metro system itself is very commendable.) There is a free shuttle to and from the station which is very useful since although the hotel is not far from the station it is on a steep hill with roads that are difficult to cross.
I stayed in a executive king room which was very spacious and had a fridge and microwave. As previously stated the decor is a little dated but this did not really concern me.
The free breakfast was a good bonus as well as the free wi-fi. There isn't any shops or eateries within walking distance but the hotel has a small gift shop that sells drinks and snacks and there are plenty of food places nearby that deliver to the hotel.
Another plus about the location is that I visited places nearby I hadn't planned on such as old town Alexandria and Mount Vernon as well as DC.
All in all a highly recommended hotel with friendly staff and good amenities.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank philw87
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to submit a review about our hotel. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us while you were seeing the DC sights.

In your review not noted that your room was a little dated and although you noted it didn't concern you, it is something we are proud to say we are working on. This past spring we renovated the rooms on four of our nine floors, replacing everything from floor to ceiling. We are just starting renovations on another 45 rooms which should be completed by February. Many of those rooms have two double beds which are being upgraded to two queen beds.

Thank you again for staying with us and submitting your review, we hope to see you again on your next trip to the DC area.

Alexandria, VA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Three female ,senior friends touring Washington. We wanted a place to stay that was safe,clean and reasonably priced. This property met all three requirements and more.... Friendly and helpful staff, particularly Jason at the front desk and Andrew, our shuttle driver. Oh yes, there is a free shuttle to the Metro.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tripper1717
Thank you so much for staying with us on your trip to our area last month. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review about your stay with us and the positive comments about our staff.

I will certainly pass your praise on to our staff and to Jason and Andrew in particular.

If you return to our area in the future we hope you will stay with us again. If I can be of any assistance regarding future stays please contact me.

Frederick, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed here one night when I had an early meeting in Alexandria that I knew I wouldn't be able to make in time if driving from Frederick. I negotiated a good rate on a hotel bidding website that made it worth my while. The room was large, but sparsely furnished and dingy. Being next to the Beltway, among other major roadways, there was a fair amount of noise, but not more than I expected. The fitness room was better than I expected, although I didn't see the pool. Parking was free and right in front of the hotel, which was convenient, although it was tricky to pull onto the road. The free breakfast wasn't bad at all and was a nice plus. Service was quite friendly. I don't remember trying the wi-fi, so I won't speak to that. Honestly, this place is in dire need of an update, but the hotel did the job.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for staying with us last month and thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We really appreciate your comments as we are working hard to make our hotel a better place for our guests and to impress you as doing much more than just "the job".

I quite agree that many of our rooms need updating and we are working on just that. This past spring we renovated the rooms and public areas on our first four floors which included 34 of our one bedroom suites. Everything in those rooms from floor to ceiling was replaced. Earlier this year we renovated our swimming pool area, fitness room and restaurant. This month we are starting on renovations of another 45 rooms which includes the balance of our one bedroom suites and should be completed by February. Additional rooms will be renovated later in 2012.

You also noted in your review that you didn't see our pool which is open seasonally from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day as well as weekends in May.

Thank you again for staying with us, we hope to see you on your next trip to our area.

Winchester, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I've stayed here twice. These guys are still doing repairs from a two month old earthquake. Thats a red flag. They need a tv across from the desk because when I have to wait for the front desk clerk to finish writing a sentence in her homework so I can check in, that's inexcusable. What's down right disturbing is that she had her top button on her shirt undone, umm your not maintnence, a cook, or doing manual labor little girl. Manager where are you? My room was extremely small and had no mini fridge. I would have hopped back on the metro and went further up to Crystal City, if I would have known they were going to put me in an apartment size bedroom.They do have wifi. I went to explore the hotel. I found a gift shop (small souvenior items) and a restaurant (cafe) on the first floor. That would have been nice to know at check in as I was starving. The restaurant was staffed by two cooks. They were laughing and having a good time almost as if they were working for the pleasure of it. The one with the braids struck up a good conversation with me and the one with the tattoo on his arm was super cute with his afro, if I was 10 years younger... The teriyaki wings were excellent, they had some kind of special spice on them, I tasted rosemary! The pizza was good (needs something special like the wings). The outdoor pool is closed for the season. Check out was painless. Overall the only things enjoyable were the food,the bed and the smooth checkout. I will be staying in Crystal City area from now on, hey its only $30 more.

Room Tip: Get a hotel around the Crystal City metro instead.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Thank you so much for staying with us, both times, and for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel as we truly value your input as we work to improve our guest experience. Please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced and my thanks for your positive comments about our restaurant staff and the desk staff a check out.

I certainly understand your concerns about the time it is taking to resolve the earthquake damage issues at our hotel. The good news is that we had no structural damage from the earthquake. The bad is that a water pipe popped loose on the top floor of our hotel and we had water damage in three rooms on every floor from the water draining out of our hotel and a section of wall on one side of the hallways on our top five floors was damaged. The delay in completing the finish work is due to the time to get finish materials. With the current economy, our suppliers of carpet and wall vinyl are taking months rather than weeks to deliver. We ordered the wall vinyl to recover the walls in the damaged corridors just a few days after the earthquake, it is not shipping until November 15th. We repaired the dry wall and painted the repaired walls white but that is all we could until materials arrive. Unfortunataly we cannot go to a local store and purchase whatever is available as we are required to use specific materials required by our franchise company.

While we encourage our employees who are students to continue their education, not while they are at work. Our Front Office Manager and I had a discussion with the clerk who checked you into our hotel to to be sure she understands her job is customer service and nothing else.

We are sorry that you have decided to seek another hotel on your next trip to our area. You noted that your room was small, but we have a variety of rooms from singgle rooms to one bedroom suites. If you decide to try us again please contact me directly and I will be happy to offer you one of our one bedroom suites at a standard room price to help make up for your past experience.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to let us know about the problems with your last stay. I do hope we will see you in the future.

Eastern Shore Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I made the reservation online and the reviews weren't awesome, but not really bad either so I wasn't expecting much. I had trouble checking in, they kept saying my card was declined so I had to go to an ATM which too an hour to get there and back. I checked in and went up to my room and the floor they put me on was under construction.Dust everywhere and men walking up and down the hall. I was very uncomfortable. The room was nice but small, def not worth the price paid. The room had two double beds which were comfortable a tv and dresser, a table with chairs, fridge. All the normal things a hotel has. I finally got checked in around 4 and went upstairs to get some rest I was very tired. But they had saws going and all kinds of machinery making lots of noise as well as the men talking and stomping back and forth down the hallway. I called down to the front desk but the basically told me that I was stuck where I was and to tough it out. I was not feeling good and at this point I was quite mad. I never got to take a nap and had a huge headache the rest of the evening. Checkout went fine, breakfast was fine, but I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jiwdurando
Sweet Valley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

The rooms were clean and average. The night front desk gentleman was nice but not accomodating when we mentioned that we had AAA (let us know how much trouble it would be to redo the reservation). After the horrible experience we had just previously experienced, we didn't push it, and probably lost $25 (2 rooms). For $100-120, not worth it, but they were the only place we called in the area that took pets.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank J G
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

For the DC area this hotel is a great find. We took our teen age granddaughter with with us on they trip. The room was newly remodeled, clean, and we each had a private room with 11/2 baths. It was great. Breakfast was good, and coffee was excellent. The hotel location is not within walking distance to restaurants, or a strip center. Although, the shuttle service, staff and other amenities more than make up for that. The staff, Joshua, Kiera, and Andrew went out of their way to make sure we had every thing we needed. After long days of touring Andrew met us at the Metro with cold bottles of water. I would recommend this hotel to any family that is on a budget. You will get your money's worth.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank paris201056463
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Comfort Inn Alexandria West - Landmark
#9 of 15 in Falls Church
4.0 of 5 stars 204 reviews
#2 of 3 in Oxon Hill
3.0 of 5 stars 110 reviews

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!