“Ok stay for one night” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 52 Hotels in Alexandria
York, Pennsylvania
“Ok stay for one night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We needed a place to stay at an affordable rate for a tournament we were attending recently. We chose this hotel based on previous reviews an the special rate we were given. While the room was clean, the overall appearance of the hotel was dated. It did have two ok beds, very large tv, enough towels, etc. What was lacking was the neighborhood (right next to apartments that were again in a questionable way), An AC that gave a damp feeling to the room, a couple ants in the bathroom though we were on the second floor, and a small nervousness with seeing an armed guard walking around at night. At least our car would be safe.

I must add though that the front office staff was pleasant and was efficient in check in and out.

This would be an ok hotel for a quick stay, but I am sure there are better options in the Alexandria area.

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank Queenie76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Lexington, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We reserved our room for my parents (ages 72 & 68) and myself. From the reviews on here and the pictures, I felt comfortable that this wasn't the greatest, but it would be safe and in a decent area. When we pulled up to the neighborhood, I honestly thought we had the wrong address. There was a low-income "project" on all sides of it with lots of scary looking people looking us over for even being there. The hotel itself was very run-down on the outside and lots of people lurking in the parking lot. We decided to re-think our stay, but after a long trip we needed to get out of the car so we went to the Taco Bell across the parking lot. When we walked in, there was a group of teens sitting in the corner who looked me up one side and down the other and yelled "oh sh**!" I went back and locked myself and my mother in the car while my father waited inside. The parking lot got worse and worse, lots of gang-looking types. We went back and got my father and left...quickly! This is NOT the place to stay for families with little ones, or elderly. Fortunately we were able to find another hotel in another area where we could sleep knowing we were safe.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank boysmom1989
Troutville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

so you could put up with that is was worn...bathroom in need of repair to grout and toilet needed repair. If your on a budget it is a good choice a lot less than other motels but clean with great location. Was surprised by the very nice TV. I appreciated the woman doing the breakfast friendly and helpful. It was a good choice for us we knew we would only be in the room for 12 hours so seemed crazy to spend more.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MarkettaTroutville
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My wife and I found this hotel to be an average hum drum kinda place. We stayed 2 nights and thought the location was adequate for our visit to Mt Vernon and Alexandria. There is a Denny's across the street and many other food places nearby.The room was clean but outdated and the bed was not so good :( Also the room was a bit noisy from all the contractors staying at the hotel. Never the less it seemed to be a good value and we would probably stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank DJphoto
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stay was 17-18 May 2012. I had mixed feelings after reading the reviews because of the location and I had Google mapped the location. But the reviews helped and for the price compared to double the amount or more for the other hotels 5 to 10 minutes up the road closer to Ft Belvoir, I decided to try it out. I’m glad I did because it ended up being closer for me to get to a friend’s home after a retirement ceremony I came up for. Actually the area turned out much better than anticipated. More stores and a lot of new stuff. Wal-mart up the street and Target down the street. And you can tell that the area is cleaning up with all the new businesses. Eating places everywhere. Except for the low income apartment complex across the four lane hwy, which you can see some remodeling taking place and a small low income complex on the other side of the fence next to the hotel and another small one next to that one, the hotel is actually in and ideal spot for all the new development around it. I did not see anyone hanging out at 9pm when I got back to the hotel and as others stated I did not feel unsafe. Actually saw three police officers on those scooters riding around through the complexes, and a security guard walking the property of the hotel and the hotel has cameras all around the property. Overall the hotel should be rated a three star instead of a two. The place was clean, no need for me to break out any cleaning products, the staff very friendly, the breakfast hot and very plentiful for me, but I’m not a big eater. Had the eggs, bacon, mini bagel w/cream cheese and OJ. Some of the furniture is old and worn but clean, no stains in the carpet, looked like my room had new caulking (Rm 303), but I could hear the traffic faintly from the highway and that was probably because the room was toward the front of the hotel. But it didn’t bother me, because I can hear traffic at home. Overall I was happy with my choice.

Room Tip: If you don't like the sound of traffic, then ask for a room toward middle or back.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank msworldadventure
Port Saint Lucie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

In October 2011 our family of five packed in to our Honda Fit to travel from eastern-central Florida to DC. By the time we made it to Quality Inn Mount Vernon we felt like we were in heaven. As a low-income family we do everything on a shoe-string budget or we simply don't do it. I know of no other hotel in the area--and few hotels near cities such as Tampa and Orlando--that manage to provide a pleasant, comfortable, impeccably clean and friendly hotel experience at an affordable rate. This is what makes QI at Mount Vernon so special. Having stayed at a few hotels in DC, I can tell you that this is our family's DC hotel of choice for as long as it maintains such quality. Of course some will be concerned with the distance from the heart of it all. Yet as the front desk folks will explain, the hotel is right around the corner from a metro stop where you can park and ride. And if you don't have a car the hotel offers a shuttle.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank EcofeministDad
Fresno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We were here for eleven days in April while touring the DC area. It was a great place to stay, about three miles from the metro station (so you need a car), but we drove to the South garage at the Huntington station and took the metro to downtown almost every day. The town of Alexandria and George Washington's Mount Vernon estate are about four miles each way from the motel, and they are both well worth a visit. There are lots of restaurants and shopping centers within driving range of the hotel.

The hotel is located next to a low income housing project, so there were a lot of kids walking around, but the room was quiet and we felt very safe. The breakfast was good, with waffles, cereal, juice, coffee, pasteries, yogurt, eggs and bacon (although my father-in-law wished they had sausage some days, instead of bacon). The breakfast room was small, but there was seating outside (when it wasn't raining). Breakfast started at 6:30, so were were able to make almost all of our tour times downtown (only missed one because of traffic going to the metro station).

We were in a large room with two queen beds and two sinks (one in the bathroom and one in the walk-in closet - microwave - refigerator area). It worked out very nicely for four adults. Check-in and check-out went very smoothly and the overall bill came within nine cents of what we were quoted on the internet.

We would definetly stay here again, but it does take a good hour to get downtown on the metro during rush hour, so if you have a morning tour, leave early. The metro system was very easy to use, and it took us where we wanted to go.

Room Tip: The large room with queen beds and the second sink worked out great for us. I could go in the '...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family