“room for improvement”

Ranked #36 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Cape May Court House, NJ
“room for improvement”
Reviewed August 1, 2005

The room was clean and comfortable. The pool was nice but only open from 11am to 8pm. This pool did have a lifeguard. We had a few problems that occured with the room during our stay. The air conditioner and the hair dryer was not working. One of the lamps were also not working. We called the desk in the the afternoons because this is when we found the problems. They did not come as promised. We always had to wait for 1 or 2 days for them to fix it. Also the shuttle to the metro is a Joke. It is an 11 passenger van and it also shuttles the Days Inn accross the street. There was never any room and we had to wait for 2 to 3 shuttles until we could get in. We had to take a cab a few times. The Ihop was great! That is where we had our meals. They were 20% off each time and the breakfast was $3.99 off if you did not want the continental.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank soprano5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Colorado
Reviewed July 24, 2005

We JUST got back tonight from 5 nights at this dump! First of all we had an internet coupon for $69.95 which we were told on the phone that we could use if we brought it with us. They did not honor it. Claimed they were "all out" of those rooms, even though we arrived on a Tuesday night. Very hard to believe that, since it was obvious they weren't full at that time. So with tax we paid about $100 a night! It was more like a $29.99 hotel!
We stayed in room 428. Walked into the room and the wall paper seams are peeling off the wall and there is mold all down a few of the seams. Cobwebs around the bottom of the air conditioner. I even threw a couple crumpled up pieces of paper (one a day) over there and they didn't even pick up the papers, let alone notice the cobwebs and filth. In the bathroom they cleaned the counter top, but didn't go anywhere near the actual CORNERS of the counter top. The tray and the ice bucket in the bathroom had accumulated dust all over them. The bathroom floor was sticky and gross. Even saw a few pubic hairs here and there?!?! THANKFULLY the bedspread looked pretty new and the sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable. Even had a fitted sheet which a lot of Comfort Inns and Days Inns do not have(have to spend the whole night trying to keep the sheet on the bed!) Also thankfully we saw no bugs. I DID bring my Oust disinfectant spray, which I have learned to bring over the years....just in case! So, at least I could maybe keep some of the mold spores from entering my lungs. Some other firiends stayed at the OTHER Comfort Inn on Duke Street and they said they didn't have moldy/peeling wallpaper, but the carpet was "iffy" and their beds didn't have a fitted sheet. They paid $85/night. My husband and I are NOT picky people. He grew up in Alaska, camping and fishing, so he is use to roughing it. I grew up in Montana and am not afraid of a little dirt.....but that being said, this is probably the worst Chain Motel we have ever stayed at, and the 2nd worse hotel PERIOD that we have stayed at. I don't know what room on the 4th floor the previous writer stayed in, but ours was awful. We even noticed at the front desk that the clerk didn't ask us how everything was.........he obviously didn't want to know! Oh, shuttles were backed up all the time also. Usually had to wait 20-40 minutes. Ended up taking a taxi twice which luckily the hotel reimbursed us for (they don't like to spread the word around that they DO that though!) One of the funniest/most bizarre things that happened was that I had a little piece of paper that I was writing stuff down on, titled Trip Advisor Review :) The so-called housekeeper TOOK THEM?!?! How wacky is that. It didn't make her clean any better either.
Anyway, if the Comfort Inn PAID ME $100 to stay there I would probably do it for the money, but otherwise.........this is the LAST Comfort Inn/Days Inn or any other of their hotels I will EVER STAY IN. We have had trouble with a few other Days Inn's in the past. So, if you don't mind breathing a little MOLD, go ahead and stay here, but bring Oust and Lysol.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank ak_kimby
Reviewed July 6, 2005

We stayed at this hotel the end of June/Beginning of July - and I have to disagree with some of the previous reviews.

The hotel was a great deal - $85/night for 3 nights. The room was on the 4th floor and perfectly clean. No problems with bugs whatsoever. I had my 8 year old and 7 month old with me and didn't think twice about it.

Some Problems (reason for 3 star rating):
*I found the night desk people to be unhelpful, but the day desk people were very cheerful and willing. (As long as my room is clean and safe, I could care less how the desk acts!)
*IHOP did take forever - but doesn't every breakfast joint in a hotel?
*Towels - yes!!! We had to ask for them twice.

All in all, it was fine for my family and I. Great price, close to all our friends and family, minutes from the city, and clean.

Stayed June 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

We stayed in this motel for 7 nights over the Fourth of July. The front desk staff was VERY unhelpful. There were 3 of us in 1 room. Every night we would have to ask for more towels. Half the time they told us they were out of them. The elevators were SLOW. There were 2 elevators and most of the time only 1 worked. We found out about 4 days into our stay that someone had been stuck for over an hour in one of them. Needless to say, we avoided that one after that! The only stairs available to go down did not even open into the motel. They were emergency exit stairs that opened to the outside. And they did not lock. That made us feel really safe as our room was in the corner right next to them. They said they had a continental breakfast. Well, they did, only you had to wait at IHOP until the 15 people in line ahead of you were seated. Some mornings breakfast took over an hour. Too long when you want to get out and see stuff. The walls were VERY thin. We felt like we couldn't even talk after 10:00- we would have kept people up! All in all, we got what we paid for. Our room was only $85 a night, and for DC that isn't much. If you just want somewhere cheap to stay for a night or two, go for it. But the next time I go to DC, I will definitely not be staying here!

3 Thank Brenda C
Reviewed June 21, 2005

We rented multiple rooms while attending a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery. We discovered two of the rooms were infested with bed bugs, when we lifted the mattress to determine the origination of the bugs we were disgusted to see hundreds of bugs scrambling under the light. The hotel staff appeared unconcerned and the Manager did not show up to meet with us as he had agreed to. Stay far away from this filthy hotel.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 15, 2005

I would not recommend this hotel. It is not very clean and the pool hours are not even worth the attempt to swim. The room was musty. The staff was not very receptive to my concerns.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 13, 2004

I have to disagree with the prior review of this property. First of all, I found it a great bargain at $82/night when we stayed there for three nights in April of this year. Our room was perfectly clean on the 6th floor, and we had no problem with the ice machine.

Our breakfast at IHOP was fine, its a busy place, but I found service to be what I would expect.

The only negative thing I would say about our experience there is that alot of people wanted to use the complimentary shuttle van to get to the Metro station. Might be a good idea to upgrade to a bus or get two vans.

I would definitely stay at this property again!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member