“Great Happy Hour”
Review of Carlyle Club

Carlyle Club
Ranked #2 of 13 Nightlife in Alexandria
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Stayed at a hotel in the area and ended up at the Carlyle Club during happy hour, lucky for me! House wine was only $3 - the pour is generous and the wine was good quality. The food specials and drink specials were fantastic. It was a pretty slow night (Thursday in August) but the great bartenders, chef, and staff (Curtis, chef) made up for it. I ordered off the dinner menu (rather than HH menu) and had the Filet Mignon Caesar Salad for $14, it was generous and delicious! Added bonus is the unique decor.

1  Thank Fab40Philly
in 6 reviews
"upscale"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed June 25, 2009

My wife and I went on a Wednesday night. The bar was hopping at happy hour and the drink prices were verrrrry attractive. Once seated, our waiter, Yo-g, was very attentive. The food was good, but not spectacular. The seared scallops were succulent and sweet, but my appetizer, pan roasted porcini mushrooms, were nothing to write home about. My wife had the corn soup and it was good. I had the Carlyle salad and while the dressing was good and the greens fresh, I was not overly impresses. My wife entree, a beef filet served with foie gras and fries was prepared well and was delicious. The fries however were sort of an afterthought. I had the grilled lamb loin with gnocchi and it was super good. Because it was our anniverary, they comp'd us dessert, fresh berries with whipped cream for her and pineapple upside down cake for me. Both nice and nice of them to give them to us. I took quite a while to be served and frankly we had to wait too long between courses, but we were not in a hurry. Last thought: If Chef Harper wants to compete with Hank's Oyster Bar, The Majestic, and Vermillion, he needs to step up his game.

2  Thank Boneyboy
Reviewed January 16, 2009

My wife and I went to the Caryle Club last week. I have to say we were not extremely impressed. The music/ singer was pretty good ( Luther Vandrus impersonator). We each ordered dinner. I had the crab cakes and my wife had the Rockfish. The food was very plain and luke warm. Definately not worth the price they charged. The heat apparently was not work well, the inside was cold. Several people made comments, but the temperature didn't change. The hot water in the restrooms did not work, but not that big of a deal. Our recommendation, enjoy the show, but eat dinner at one of the nearby restuarants for a much better value and quality.

3  Thank thecrusherDc
Reviewed September 11, 2008

I recently had a group of colleges in town for a midweek conference. We were looking for a night on the town and decided to try Carlyle Club in Alexandria based on the recommendation of the Concierge at the Marriot Hotel. We told him we were looking for something out of the ordinary and the Carlyle Club delivered. The club looks like something right out of an old Fred Astair and Ginger Roberts movie. Done up in Art Deco style with Palm trees and leather booths surrounding a curved stage. The regular weeknight band at the club is especially talented with a girl singer that stole our hearts away. She brings her small white dog to show who spends the entire evening flaked out on a tiny Leopard skin sofa atop the piano. What a hoot! We took advantage of the clubs polished dance floor and joined a group of talented Ballroom dancers that frequent the club on weeknights. The prices at the Carlyle Club are VERY reasonable, especially when factoring in the quality of the live entertainment, wait staff, and the kitchen. We especially enjoyed the Scottish Salmon, Lump Crab Cake entree, and the steamed mussel appetizer. The Carlyle Club is truly a welcomed relief from the “Sports Bars” serving up nothing more that flat screen TV’s, and chicken wings, that dot the landscape on most major American cities. Bravo Carlyle Club! Our group truly enjoyed our visit and will be back in force when the next conference hits town.

2  Thank Travel_Review21