“A Great Night Out”
Review of Carlyle Club

Carlyle Club
Ranked #2 of 12 Nightlife in Alexandria
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Recently attended Latin Night there and had a fantastic time. The Club was generally easy to find. There's street parking or severely reduced parking under the restaurant. The entrance has a night club/speakeasy feel when you enter. The greeter was prompt as was the seater. I bought tickets online and was able to select seating, which was quite convenient.

The band was outstanding! Since I'd never been there before, I didn't know what to expect. On this night, the patrons skewed towards the 40 and over crowd, but they were fun, playful, and participatory. There were couples and groups of all persuasions. The atmosphere was intimate and enjoyable.

On the downside, the food was a bit less than average. Our party had salmon and steak with general vegetables and rice or potatoes. Neither the steak nor the salmon was cooked as requested. Plus the food was not hot. We looked for our server to request changes, but he was like a ghost. He hardly ever showed up to attend to our table, however, he was quick to take our cash for the check and we had to ask for change! Regardless, I would go back there again for music and dancing, but perhaps just order appetizers and drinks. The music prices are more than reasonable and (based on their calendar of events) they attract great musicians.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Enjoyed the food, decor and service. We sat upstairs and the atmosphere was pleasant and waiting staff attentive. The food was well presented and tasted delicious.

I would recommend this restaurant and especially the crab appetizer and the white chocolate bread pudding for desert.

Reviewed June 6, 2011

Had the wedding reception at the Carlyle club. Great atmosphere. Awesome lighting and sound system. Good food and the staff were wonderful. We were very happy. Thank you!

2  Thank Bubbles1502
Reviewed September 16, 2009

I was recently at the Carlyle Club in Alexandria, Virginia for a dating service matchmaker event. I witnessed the bartender getting hostile with a patron and then yelling at him. I had been waiting at the bar for well over eight minutes, yes, I wrote 8 minutes when the bartender finally reappeared from the kitchen area. I remember it so well, because the DJ had just started to play Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and the bartender was dancing all around before disappearing the full 8 minutes or so. And the other taller, blondish male bartender disappeared as well! But upon the long awaited return of the short dark haired bartender with glasses, that had just danced out of sight, I had mistakenly stepped in front of the gentleman that the bartender was about to engage in disorderly comportment with. I asked for a water and the bartender so sarcastically belted out... "so many people want water tonight!" Then the gentleman who had been waiting longer that I had, also asked for water and the lady after him did the same. The waiter became so hostile and started yelling! The gentleman leaned across the bartop and I heard him say to the bartender... "This is the worse service I have ever had!" The bartender really went bonkers then and yelled at the guy to leave... "get away from my bar! You're just with the band and you're nothing but band scum!" I was so appalled at this type of unprofessional behavior in such an elegant and sophisticated club such as the Carlyle Club! However, I did observe the gentleman as he went over to speak to the manager. I watched as the manager just shook his head, but he clearly did not get up or go over and speak to the employee. Later, when passing through the lobby area to leave, I overheard this same bartender speak in a loud, harse tone and call the gentleman an A--hole! Personally, I never plan to return to the Carlyle Club for this very reason! If you dine there, dance there or drink there- you had better NEVER ask for a simple glass of water. Especially if it's a short, frizzie dark haired male bartender or server with glasses. I think his name starts with a "J' sound. A very unusal name as I recall! Good Luck cause you're on your own! DON'T DRINK THE WATER!!!

4  Thank BlondeBustyBlue
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Stayed at a hotel in the area and ended up at the Carlyle Club during happy hour, lucky for me! House wine was only $3 - the pour is generous and the wine was good quality. The food specials and drink specials were fantastic. It was a pretty slow night (Thursday in August) but the great bartenders, chef, and staff (Curtis, chef) made up for it. I ordered off the dinner menu (rather than HH menu) and had the Filet Mignon Caesar Salad for $14, it was generous and delicious! Added bonus is the unique decor.

1  Thank Fab40Philly