“The place to stay if you want to be in the DC/VA area!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Alexandria

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Miami, Florida
“The place to stay if you want to be in the DC/VA area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this hotel! I stay here when I am doing business in the Alexandra, Vienna, and Springfield areas. It is down the street from the King Street Metro Station and within a few blocks of the Masonic Temple. It is located across the street from the Federal Courthouse with amazing views. I have stayed here many many times (it is constantly fantastic). I love being here during the winter with all the lights up ans the trees in the windows. I do not close the blinds at night it is so beautiful. The staff is incredible. The beds are comfortable and it is quiet. I have been snowed in and was there during the recent bad storms. It is comforting to know that they will cater to your every need. They know all their guests! The food in the restaurant is wonderful. They buy the local produce and make it into the most wonderful dishes! The restaurant and bar are always hopping. The rooms are very nicely done and cozy inside. On my recent stay they had an Indian wedding in the front of the hotel and the reception was inside the ballroom. It was so beautiful! They really do go the extra mile to accommodate all your needs! I recommend this one if you are renting a car and planning on doing business outside of DC. They do have shuttle service nearby but not from the airport. They do have valet parking depending on the rate you get it may be included. I have had it included and not on some stays. They always have my car out and ready when I call. The metro gives you access to everywhere in DC. I would recommend this if you are going to have a major event (wedding, meeting, family event). This place is beautiful and bottom line the service is amazing! They do have the usual amenities such as gym, pool, and business center. They have a store within the hotel for water, etc. They are a short drive from a nice grocery store if your inclined to pick up water, drinks, etc. They are within walking distance of several restaurants (I still love the hotels so I rarely venture out!)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in August, and have very few complaints. I booked in on the Westin website and got a great pre-paid deal of only $136 a night.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because they nickle and dime you with charges. Wi-fi is $10 a day. Using the business center costs $7.50 for 15 minutes, which is ridiculous when almost every traveler has to print out their boarding pass. A bottle of water in the room is $5 -- even if you're a Starwood member (as far as I could tell, I didn't get a single perk for my membership).

Now, all that being said . . . it's a beautiful hotel, well-appointed, and comfortable. My room was comfortably sized, and included a desk and two sitting chairs by the window.
The bathroom was well decorated, and well laid out, with plenty of room.I had asked for a quiet room, and they gave me one far from the elevator (I joked I'd need a trail of breadcrumbs to find my way back), and I have NO noise problems. I was worried about the reviews that said the walls were thin, because I'm a very light sleeper. But I had no problems. They do provide free coffee and a coffee maker in the room.

I especially liked the hotel's environmental consciousness. In addition to a regular waste can in the room, there's also a blue can specifically for recycling. If you opt not to have your room cleaned every day and save resources, you get a $5 off coupon for anywhere in the hotel. That's a nice bonus, especially when you consider the breakfast does run a little pricey (although not more than any nice other hotel). However, on the flip end of that was the lobby air-conditioning was a constant arctic front. I had to wear a sweater just to go down there. They could have turned it up a couple of degrees to save energy, and it would have been more comfortable.

The staff was VERY friendly -- especially in the restaurant. And when I called the hotel the day after I checked out looking for my lost flash drive, they were prompt and helpful.

The location is kind of weird -- not a lot of restaurants or shops nearby, and the surrounding environment is corporate/government building. That's a drawback when you're just wanting a sandwich or salad. But it's walking distance to the King Street Station, and a quick drive into DC (and there's a good Thai place down the street).

If I got another good rate, I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

I decided to stay at the Westin for a wedding I was attending in Oxon Hill and also wanted to be in the Old Town area. With the price that is incurred in staying at this hotel; I would expect to be able to use the business center without a $7.50 charge for 15 mins. Also valet parking for $25/day is a little extreme. The Westin should not offer double beds. The heavenly bed is not what the hotel hypes it up to be. I will not be staying here anymore; the Crowne Plaza will get my money from now on.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank stasmax
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

My company has begun using the Westin as our preferred hotel in the area, since it is close to our offices. I have stayed there twice now and have nothing but good to say about it. It is in a quiet area of condos and offices. There are only a few restaurants in the area. The King Street Metro station and buses to Old Town Alexandria are only about three easy blocks away. However, the hotel's shuttle will take you around the area also. There is no free parking, just valet. However, I had no trouble finding free street parking after 5:00 pm (meters start at 8:00 am and end at 5:00 pm).

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

The hotel is very well located close to a metro stop. The hotel itself is what you would expect from a Westin, comfortable rooms, spacious and all the usual amenities. The only thing I would say regarding the room is the expensive internet access which wasnt the quickest in the world. I can never understand why hotels have free wireless in the lobby but not in the hotel room!

I never anything in the hotel, as always went to the whole foods which is just round the corner. The gym is well serviced, and in addition if you fancy a run outside, there are plenty of places you can run, especially a good trial down to the sea front.

All in all good hotel, only thing I would say is that you could probably find a hotel closer to the DC centre for the same money that is just as good.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Richmond
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

I've stayed at this Westin 3 times recently. I have always found the staff very friendly and helpful. They always are cheerful. The rooms are standard Westin, and DO include in room coffee makers. This last time I was upgraded to the Club Floor, which was nice to have the free breakfast. For the cost of the restaurant you can probably pay to upgrade. I have eaten at the restaurant for lunch and breakfast and it is fine. This last visit I was surprised by the number of guests with dogs. They were in the lobby and barking on the floor. That is not a good trend in the hotel industry. If you do have business at the USPTO or federal courthouse the location is perfect. This is a strong Westin and fine choice. It is a bit far from Old Town to walk but 5 minutes by car. Note that there is only valet and very little on street parking. Like all Westin Hotels there is no free Internet in the rooms- no surprise.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

I don't usually do this but I was so dissatisfied with the service at this hotel I could not resist. The service from the front counter was well below par. They did not seem to know much about the hotel and were not helpful when asked basic questions. There is no complimentary breakfast not even coffee. You have to pay for internet. I would expect that if you pay that much for a hotel they would at least have some coffee for the quests and free wi-fi

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business