“Clean, classy design, yet a bit pretentious”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed May 18, 2009

The good first: Clean, nice design, comfortable room. Nice bed and good shower (when you get a regular room). Safe area.
The bad: Requested 2 double bed room through expedia but was placed in a king size handicap room. I get that we got there late and got the leftovers, but my mom had called the day before and was assured that they had my preferences, and no mention was made about getting there in time to get the 2 double beds. So I didn't get a bathtub. They did move me to a 2 double bed room the next night. Walls are thin. Party next to us the second night. and it is about a 10 minute walk to everything. so not a lot close to the hotel. Also, take snacks w/ you to the hotel. no drink machines or snack machines at night. and you don't want to pay $10 for a thing of peanuts. It was a decent place but I don't think I'd go back.

Stayed: May 2009
2  Thank jj0204

Reviewed May 17, 2009

The Westin Alexandia is in a safe location within a 20 minute walk to the busy dining areas of Old Town. The hotel itself is a typical cookie-cutter Westin hotel (clean, white sheets and towels, Starbucks coffee in the room, bathrobes, etc., except that it has an LCD TV. It is clean with an on-site Starbucks. We didn't eat at the hotel, given all the great dining options on the strip. Only valet parking is available at roughly $20 per night. Service was average.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed May 5, 2009

I stayed at the Westin Alexandria for one night on a business trip. The hotel is typical Westin, comfortable Heavenly Beds, bathrobe, and the Heavenly Bath (although one showerhead is turned off to conserve water--you can turn it on manually by pressing a button). Although I had requested a room with a king-sized bed, I was told at check-in that only rooms with 2 double beds were available. When I asked how long the wait would be until a king bedded room was available, I was told, "Well, check-in isn't until 3pm." But it was 2:47PM! I ended up agreeing to the 2 double bedded room but they gave me a room with a pretty view of the Masonic George Washington Memorial as a thanks. The fitness room was fine--could have used more ellipticals and I prefer Precor to Life Fitness machines. I was told that the small lobby has free wireless internet access but you have to pay for it in the rooms. The surrounding area in Alexandria is really quite bleak--only office buildings and a few cafes. Whole Foods is a few blocks away. The US Patent Office and a US District Courthouse were very close by. All in all, this was a fine hotel for business and Westins do have the best beds.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank DocmomBoston_MA
Reviewed April 28, 2009

The Westin is located very close to King's Street station, and there are a number of amenities nearby(Starbucks, Einstein bagel, potbelly's Sandwich Place). The staff is courteous and the rooms are very good. The only grouse i had was that when we left towles on the floor for housekeeping to take, they did not. By the end of our stay, we'd accumulated a mountain of towels. Other than that, no complaints.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rajparam
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Just returned from a week at this hotel - (mid-April). I was there for a conference and a couple of days exploring DC. The rooms were clean, quiet, roomy and very comfortable. The staff were always helpful and accommodating. We used the hotel's shuttle bus on several occasions and the drivers were very helpful in pointing out some excellent 'Old Town' Alexandria restaurants to eat in - and they collected us after our meals without hesitation. (We would have walked back to the hotel, but there were a couple of wet and windy nights.) I would recommend this hotel as a great location if you are visiting the DC and Alexandria area.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank AstraJourney
Reviewed April 14, 2009

This hotel is in a good location and cheaper than staying in Washington. It is easy to get to the train station and 7 stops from the centre of Washington. The rooms are clean and spacious, the beds are comfortable. We asked for a room with a view and got one!! I agree with other reviewers about the pool, it is small, cold and not very clean. Another negative is the room service charges, 18% extra for the privilege and a $3.50 delivery to room charge. There are a few eating places around for an evening meal but not many, so if you do stay here try and plan ahead and get take away. The breakfast is expensive but there is a good selection of bagel/deli shops near by that open early (close about 4pm). The internet access is $10 for 24 hours, however it has been free in all the other hotels we have stayed in so far on our trip.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I am currently staying at this resort and have 3 more days to go. (We paid for a whole week). We have had horrible service, no one seems to answer the phones for room service or for shuttle service. Luckily, it is a 5 minute walk from the Metro to the hotel but it was very cold today and our call went unanswered from the Metro station to the hotel, the whole time we were walking, the phone was ringing unanswered. I even entered the hotel with my cell phone still trying to call the hotel to show the front staff who could not explain why the phone was going unanswered. Had I got a busy tone, that would have been one thing, this was a call that was going completely unanswered. Absolutely unacceptable for the 'quality' that this hotel says it is! I would gladly pay more to stay somewhere where I can get a person to answer the phone if I have questions or need help.

Also, the pool is a small 12' rectangular, the jacuzzi could fit maybe 4-6 people, again totally useless for a hotel this large and again one who claims to be a 4-star.

I try to write fair and honest reviews as I rely on the information from fellow Tripadvisor travelers and I suggest you might look at other options here in Alexandria as I have no confidence in this particular location.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family