“Good location but a bit pricey”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
London
“Good location but a bit pricey”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

This hotel is in a good location and cheaper than staying in Washington. It is easy to get to the train station and 7 stops from the centre of Washington. The rooms are clean and spacious, the beds are comfortable. We asked for a room with a view and got one!! I agree with other reviewers about the pool, it is small, cold and not very clean. Another negative is the room service charges, 18% extra for the privilege and a $3.50 delivery to room charge. There are a few eating places around for an evening meal but not many, so if you do stay here try and plan ahead and get take away. The breakfast is expensive but there is a good selection of bagel/deli shops near by that open early (close about 4pm). The internet access is $10 for 24 hours, however it has been free in all the other hotels we have stayed in so far on our trip.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I am currently staying at this resort and have 3 more days to go. (We paid for a whole week). We have had horrible service, no one seems to answer the phones for room service or for shuttle service. Luckily, it is a 5 minute walk from the Metro to the hotel but it was very cold today and our call went unanswered from the Metro station to the hotel, the whole time we were walking, the phone was ringing unanswered. I even entered the hotel with my cell phone still trying to call the hotel to show the front staff who could not explain why the phone was going unanswered. Had I got a busy tone, that would have been one thing, this was a call that was going completely unanswered. Absolutely unacceptable for the 'quality' that this hotel says it is! I would gladly pay more to stay somewhere where I can get a person to answer the phone if I have questions or need help.

Also, the pool is a small 12' rectangular, the jacuzzi could fit maybe 4-6 people, again totally useless for a hotel this large and again one who claims to be a 4-star.

I try to write fair and honest reviews as I rely on the information from fellow Tripadvisor travelers and I suggest you might look at other options here in Alexandria as I have no confidence in this particular location.

2 Thank myeyegal
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I had stayed with my girlfriend one evening at this hotel on our way to DC last Thursday. We had booked a great rate online and being a Starwood Preferred guest, enjoyed getting the extra points. Anyways, thats where the positives stopped.

Upon check-in, we were greeted by the valet, which was quite the cluster. Then came in side to the front desk and that went by pretty quickly. Put us on the "preferred floor" (I guess that means higher up and a complimentary bottle of water) Anyways....The room was nice, pretty big, had a king size bed and was pretty quiet and clean.

When I checked the bill on the television that evening, it said that there was a charge of almost 300.00 on the account for a deposit. I inquired the next morning as our rate was only 99.00 for this special SPG stay. The lady at the front desk could not explain why the account was charged so much, she said it looks like they charged you two times and the only thing we can do is send you a check for the difference from corporate headquarters....I repeatedly told her, that is not going to work, We only booked one night, thats all I am paying for and just refund the credit card. She said they couldnt do that and all the managers were in a meeting so they couldn't assist me.....I found that quite disrespectful that a manager could not speak to me about a problem in which clearly was the hotel's fault and where money was coming out of my pocket. She agreed to revoke the valet charge, which was a nice gesture, but still not enough to make up the excessive charging and lack of answers. I was told to call back later in the day.

When I arrived in DC, I called the hotel, was transferred to account and had to leave a message, then called back a little later and spoke to some manager there and they stated that they were going to reverse the charges immediately and they would show up overnight. Waiting 3 days now and the account is still not refunded....

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hustedms
NJ
Reviewed April 11, 2009

I knew going there that the hotel was about a 20-30 min walk. So be prepared. There is a shuttle service that we did not avail of because we wanted to explore. The room was good, My main issue with this hotel comes with the amenities. First of all, we paid extra to have access to the "Executive Lounge" which was fine....... as long as no one else was in there. The breakfast scene could have been better. They ran out of food both mornings we were there and they were painfully slow to restock it. And when they did restock it, it wasn't the complete menu of items. Secondly, they only offer free wi-fi in the lobby. What a nuisance. Even cheaper hotels offer free wi-fi in the rooms. I don't think they even offered it in the executive lounge but I didn't check. Third, I attempted to work out in the gym and was distracted by a group of rowdy pre-teens that had nothing better to do but bounce the yoga balls like basketballs. Someone came up to check it out but of course they stopped and as soon as he left they resumed their horse play. Finally, the housekeeping service threw out my wife's retainer! When I complained to the front desk, all they offered me was 1500 Starwood points. Sheesh. I suppose I could have argued about it but I just wanted to leave. It's sad that I had so many negative experiences over the 2 nights we were there otherwise I would have given them a higher review. Certainly not what I was expecting from a Westin.

1 Thank kmstraveller
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 18, 2009

Our stay in the Westin Alexandria was almost flawless. As a newer property, you couldn't ask for a more immaculate hotel - lobby and rooms. The trademark Westin Heavenly Bed lives up to its name. The staff went out of their way to be welcoming and helpful, and we appreciated the free gift bag they gave our 12 month old, especially the rubber ducky! The Westin Heavenly Crib was also provided free of cost for our daughter along with a small refrigerator (specially requested), which really helped us all feel more comfortable and at home. The hotel restaurant, the Jamieson Grill, actually surprised us with the quality and creativity of the food. Although a bit pricey, the food was superb and did not disappoint. The location was especially convenient - a short walk to the Metro Rail King's Station, or you could take the shuttle that ran from hotel every 30 minutes or on request, which made hitting all the tourist attractions downtown a breeze (and WAY cheaper than taking taxis). We also enjoyed that there was a Starbucks and a Whole Foods market also within a short walk of the hotel. The only encounter that kept this from being perfect was that the pool attendant was rude to us twice. However, the indoor heated pool and hottub almost made her easy to ignore. (Almost.)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Houston
Reviewed March 12, 2009

The purpose of my trip was to do patent searches and file my patents at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office which was only two blocks from the Westin Alexandria Hotel. My stay at the Westin Alexandria was superb!!! I had most of my meals in The Jamieson Restaurant and enjoyed myself. My waiter "Mo" was friendly, had a great sense of humor, and assisted me with making decision of what to eat and tips and tidbits about the city. I would highly recommend The Westin Alexandria. I purchased many souvenirs from the gift shop in the lobby because the selection of items were unique and reasonably priced. The staff at the hotel was outstanding. Although, I was on this trip alone, I felt extremely safe and was very comfortable. Oh, the exercise room is fantastic, too!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TexasTraveler2009
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed February 26, 2009

The staff is outstanding -- especially the guys at the front door and the waitstaff in the restaurant. The rooms are well appointed, large, and clean. The hotel is adjacent to the Patent Office -- closer than any other hotel. Unfortunately, the restaurant is a little pricey for breakfast.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business