“Can't Complain”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We took a moderate gamble through Hotwire (choosing non-smoking hotels) and figured this was the hotel we'd get and, sure enough, it was. It's convenient to the Alexandria Amtrak station and the King Street metro station, so we never needed a car. The hotel does have a shuttle but you won't need it unless you're really pressed for time (note: it does only go up and down the short road of Alexandria, not into DC proper).

Our room was clean and the staff was very good. Nothing at all to complain about and believe me, I can usually find something to complain about.

Plus, if you're a Starwood Preferred Guest (it's free to join), you can get complimentary Wi-Fi.

Only thing that was a little off was the town itself. On weekends, it's a little tough to find places open for breakfast, so we paid the price at the hotel restaurant on Sunday.

Oh, wait, I can find a tiny quibble. The kids wanted to go swimming and to get into the spa. Apparently, they don't allow kids in there, which meant we never went back to the pool room again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank SCDad
Thomas P, Director of Operations at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear SCdad, Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad we were you lucky selected hotel! it looks like you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to get around the area. In regards to the pool area, the only age limitation is on the hot tub. All kids of all ages are free to use the pool as long as they wish! We hope to see you again soon. Thomas Poteau, Director of Operations.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Alexandria

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Great location. Close to King Street Metro. Nice rooms. Expensive internet, luckily I carry my own wifi hotspot. Room service needs improvement. Not consistent with replacing coffee, water, shampoo, etc.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Sleal75, Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to read you had some challenges with the room service and the consistency in replacing our amenities. I will make sure your feedback gets passed along to my leaders so we can address it as soon as possible. Hope to see you back again soon and please do not hesitate to ask for me as I would welcome an opportunity to meet you. Thomas Poteau, Director of Operations.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have stayed at the Westin Alexandria several times because of work and I was just there for a non-profit board meeting. The hotel is comfortable and well appointed. The staff is helpful and cheerful. The Hotel is a few blocks and slightly uphill from the King Street Metro so walking is not ideal if you have heavy luggage. The locations is also slightly orthogonal to King (where all the action is) street itself. I am a fairly fit and brisk walker and it takes 25 minutes to reach the Alexandria waterfront. I do not mind this as it is quieter around the hotel and I am not there to sightsee but it is something to consider if you are visiting on vacation. Unlike the Embassy Suites and the Holiday Inn (both closer to the action), the Westin does not provide breakfast or afternoon snacks. The bar/restaurant is nice but pricey. The rooms are comfortable - my room on the 4th floor was very quiet - but the view was a sea of roof over the 3rd floor meeting space. The hotel was not very full and it would have been kind of them to give me a higher room with a view. One weird note: I received an email the day before checking that I could upgrade my room to the Club floor for $20 - I called in very ready to do this only to be informed that the Club is not open on the weekends and for my $20 I would get a voucher for breakfast! Really? Back to some positives - the room had a fridge and there is a Whole Foods within walking distance so I bought food and had breakfast both mornings of my stay for $10 - and much healthier! Be aware the hotel is "pet-friendly" so be ready for the sound of animals parking in their rooms while their owners cruise the Potomac.

Room Tip: for a view ask for a room on higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear Heartlander,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share this feedback. It is nice to know that you have stayed with us on multiple occassions. Great to read your comments concerning our staff and location. I realize you enjoy the walking. For the next time also know that we do have a shuttle that runs through Old Town anytime you tire of the walking. Hope to see you back again soon and please do not hesitate to ask for me as I would welcome an opportunity to meet you.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

The staff is amazing, the rooms are impeccable and the service is at a level that should be THE standard for all hotels. I felt like I was home and I hope to be there again soon! Until then, thank you for being at the top of my travel list of Best Places to Stay!

Dear Maria,
Thanks for staying with us and sharing such a wonderful review of our hotel. I hope that we will have an opportunity to be of service again soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Great, friendly staff at very good location a few blocks from King Street. Expected excellence, found it in large room, nice appointments, great restaurant and amenities. Will frequent this location in the future for sure.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank FL-CHB
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear FL-CHB,
Thank you for staying with usand taking the time to share your thoughts. I was delighted to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, resturant and location. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed overnight here for a wedding and wanted to check in a little early. Upon calling the hotel they took all of our information and then told us we couldn't request an early check in, strange.

Check in was a breeze and the staff at the front desk was very nice. The rooms were comfortable with ample space. I did find it odd that the door opened into the bathroom, which made it hard for more than 1 person to move around. This wasn't a problem for the 2 of us, but I could see it becoming an issue with more then 2 people in a room.

Had an unexpected 5AM wakeup call when the alarm from the last guest had not been reset by the housekeeping staff. The room was clean.

Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear justcrusin,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review your stay. I was glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and our front desk staff service in particular. Our apologies for the inadvertent wake up call. We will do a better job of checking our clock alarms as we prepare the rooms. Thanks and hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Our family of 6 had a great time. The check-in was friendly and smooth. There is the sweetest lady who works in the club level breakfast area. She was incredibly kind and helpful. We traveled with two adults and four children. We booked the king/double adjoining rooms and added a roll away bed in the king room. There is a whole foods nearby and is a quick walk to the King St. metro. We took the metro/bus to Mount Vernon and took approx. an hour. We hope to return!

Room Tip: We stayed on the club level - breakfast Mon-Fri and happy hour Mon-Thurs. Refrigerator in room was...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jonesdx4

Dear jonesdx,
Thank you for a great review of our hotel. We are delighted to know that your enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.