“Ideal place to stay in Alexandria”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Durham, North Carolina
“Ideal place to stay in Alexandria”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Bright, clean, modern and stylish describe this hotel. The staff consistently offers superb customer service. The free hotel shuttle takes you to all the nearby spots in Old Town....so NO NEED to stay at lesser hotels closer to the waterfront. Plus the lobby restaurant offers great, speedy (though somewhat pricey) breakfast options. The hotel offered a buy 2 nights get the 3rd free for Thurs-Sat check-ins....making the Westin an excellent value.

Room Tip: All the rooms are basically equal in my opinion....I would request an upper floor....the elevators a...
Green Features: Green and environmentally friendly is the norm for Westin and this property is no different.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear jdhallchgo,
Thank you for staying wiht us this past week and for taking the time to comment on your experience. I was delighted to know that our staff took good care of you and that you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service to and from Old Town. We hope to be of service again soon.
Rich Casale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I recently stayed at the Westin Alexandria four nights and received a good reduced rate as part of a block of rooms for a large wedding. The hotel is conveniently located, about a six-minute walk from a Metro station. If you use the Reagan National Airport, the Metro ride is a mere two stops. We had a king bed, and the mattress and pillows were perhaps the most comfortable I have ever experienced. All of the staff members I encountered were friendly and helpful.
Downsides: My room on the 4th floor was in a drab light well directly overlooking a roof--if you care about good views, I recommend that you take a look at a floor plan to make sure you're looking outward instead of inward.
Also, the bar and restaurant were attractive, but there was no separation between the two. When the bar was crowded during dinner hours, the noise level was too high for cozy dining.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the interior light well if you want an appealing view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear PegD_in_SF,
Thanks for staying with us recently adn taking the time to comment. I was glad to see that you enjoyed the hotel and in particular our Heavenly Bed, our location, and our staff. We hope to see you again soon.
PLEASANTVILLE
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Well ,I Have a three day trip to Virginia Alexandria, the hotel is a great place to visit .The staff was so friendly ,efficient &professional .,the room was great ,we need a roll out bed for my daughter and my grandbaby and the bed was there in just 5 minute. My stay was great the pool was exceilent

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear weepinbell,
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to comment on your experience. I was glad to know all went well, that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed the room accomodations as well as the pool. We hope to see you again soon.
Houston
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This hotel is clean and convenient to rail and bus transport should you want to go into DC. About 1.5 miles from Old Town and has several places to eat at nearby. We were given access to eat on the consiere level however immediately exited as it reeked of stale smoke so don't bother going in unless you want to smell like a cigarette. Parking is expensive. $27.00 per night and naturally you tip the bellman, tip the driver each time you want your vehicle so this can add up. There is a public parking area nearby but is closed on week-ends. Figure that one out. Just learn the transit system and you will be able to go anywhere you want. I suggest doing the bike ride to Mount Vernon from Old Town. It is a leisure ride which anyone can do. I am 54 and haven't ridden a bike for years. The trail is beautiful and relaxing. Be sure to pack water.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the capital. It is still far but better than looking at freeway.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear DishHouston,
Thank you for staying with us. I was glad to know that you found our location convenient to all that you wanted to do. We'll be sure to take a closer look at our Club Lounge to insure the smell of smoke you mentioned is taken care of. For your next time in, with a little notice, we can help you to find some nearby street or garage parking that would be a less expensive option to our valet parking. Hope to see you again soon.
Rensselaer, New York
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I spent five nights at this facility during early April and found it to be exceptional in every way. The staff was friendly, efficient and professional; rooms were very well appointed, clean and comfortable; the food was delicious (especially for conference fare); and the location close enough to the Metro and Old Town attractions to satisfy the most eager adventurer. My only suggestion for improvement would be for their Trademarks Bar and Grill to stay open longer than 11 pm on Sunday nights!

Room Tip: My room was on the eight floor all the way at the end -- very quiet and afforded a nice view of the...
Green Features: If you opted out of having your room serviced each day you received a coupon good for $5 off at a selected eating establishment or 500 points towards their guest rewards program. One suggestion with this -- more drying racks to hang towels to encourage more participation in this program.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Terrbear,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share these comments. I was delighted to learn that you had a most enjoyable stay. Hope to see you back again soon.
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I admit to being old (65 but who's counting) and thinking $350 a night is a good amount to pay for a hotel room. That said, I was really disappointed with this allegedly 4 star hotel. For that price, I expect free wifi, towels that aren't unraveling with long strings hanging out and bath tubs without mold growing where the grout has fallen out. The hotel restaurant was mediocre and we waited a loooong time to get our bill. Our waitress found more interesting folks to chat with. Oh, btw....the room charge for wifi was $10 per IPad and a 'day' didn't mean 24 hours...it meant that day!

Room Tip: Spend your money somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HolyCrossSanPedro
Dear HolyCrossSanPedro,
Thank you for staying with us recently. I want to offer my apologies for the condition of your towels and bathroom and some of the other inconveniences you experienced. Clearly we could have performed better. We appreciate your feedback and will react accordingly to make some needed improvements. I hope that we might have another opportunity to prove ourselves to you and welcome you to reach out to me personally should that possibility present itself. Thanks again for your feedback and choosing to stay with us.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I just completed my third stay at the Westin over the last few weeks. Each stay has been for one night. Overall, the Westin is a good hotel. The rooms are large and clean. Bathrooms are decent, with reasonable (but not luxurious) amenities. This certainly isn't the most luxurious Westin at which I've stayed, but it is more than acceptable. It is very convenient to the court, patent offices, and other nearly government offices. Additionally, it is a short walk from the Metro.

The restaurant is good, with a reasonable selection. The only complaint is the coffee; it seems like I've found their coffee to be old and lukewarm more times than not... otherwise, everything is great.

There is a small conference room available for rental (the Tangent Room), which works great as a base of operations. Internet speeds are decent throughout the hotel, though only with the high-speed option. I found the standard option to be somewhat bursty.

Overall, a good choice for Alexandria business, and, due to the close proximity to the Metro, for visiting the capital area as a whole.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear VivekSub,
Thank you for staying with us time and again and for this feedback. I am glad to know that we are serving your needs well with our facilities, restaurant, and location. On your next visit, please do ask for me as I would welcome the chance to meet you. Thanks again.