“What do you expect for $350 a nights?!?”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Panama City, Panama
“What do you expect for $350 a nights?!?”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I admit to being old (65 but who's counting) and thinking $350 a night is a good amount to pay for a hotel room. That said, I was really disappointed with this allegedly 4 star hotel. For that price, I expect free wifi, towels that aren't unraveling with long strings hanging out and bath tubs without mold growing where the grout has fallen out. The hotel restaurant was mediocre and we waited a loooong time to get our bill. Our waitress found more interesting folks to chat with. Oh, btw....the room charge for wifi was $10 per IPad and a 'day' didn't mean 24 hours...it meant that day!

Room Tip: Spend your money somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HolyCrossSanPedro
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear HolyCrossSanPedro,
Thank you for staying with us recently. I want to offer my apologies for the condition of your towels and bathroom and some of the other inconveniences you experienced. Clearly we could have performed better. We appreciate your feedback and will react accordingly to make some needed improvements. I hope that we might have another opportunity to prove ourselves to you and welcome you to reach out to me personally should that possibility present itself. Thanks again for your feedback and choosing to stay with us.
Rich Casale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I just completed my third stay at the Westin over the last few weeks. Each stay has been for one night. Overall, the Westin is a good hotel. The rooms are large and clean. Bathrooms are decent, with reasonable (but not luxurious) amenities. This certainly isn't the most luxurious Westin at which I've stayed, but it is more than acceptable. It is very convenient to the court, patent offices, and other nearly government offices. Additionally, it is a short walk from the Metro.

The restaurant is good, with a reasonable selection. The only complaint is the coffee; it seems like I've found their coffee to be old and lukewarm more times than not... otherwise, everything is great.

There is a small conference room available for rental (the Tangent Room), which works great as a base of operations. Internet speeds are decent throughout the hotel, though only with the high-speed option. I found the standard option to be somewhat bursty.

Overall, a good choice for Alexandria business, and, due to the close proximity to the Metro, for visiting the capital area as a whole.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear VivekSub,
Thank you for staying with us time and again and for this feedback. I am glad to know that we are serving your needs well with our facilities, restaurant, and location. On your next visit, please do ask for me as I would welcome the chance to meet you. Thanks again.
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here to attend a conference being held at the hotel.

Fantastic service at check in and during my stay. Nice conference facilities. Breakfast and lunch for the meeting was about what you would expect for a conference of about 300 people. The exercise facilities were nice. Also not far from a lot of shops and restaurants on King street. The free trolley stop is a short walk from the hotel along with the metro train and bus station which makes getting around fairly easy.

Rooms were comfortable and spacious.

Overall a great stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Ken M,
Thank you for staying with us. I was so glad to know that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed our facilites and location. Hope to see you back again soon.
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We were in Washington DC for a business meeting and decided to stay over for some site seeing. The Westin Alexandria was a great location for the business meeting and I must admit the cost was a little more than we usually pay, so I was expecting a great room. We did not get this room at a discount. Check-in was great and we were able to get in early. The room was small, as when sitting at the desk there was not space to walk around the end of the bed. Our view from the window was a view of a roof. We found out later at bedtime that the walls were very thin and un-insulated as we could hear the people next door. We ate and had drinks at the restaurant - it was great. The shower was awesome. When going to bed we discovered that there were holes in the sheets. One as big as a quarter. Then we realized that the stool was leaking and it would pump in water approximately EVERY 5 minutes (we timed it) - all night long - 24 hours a day. Not a very enjoyable night. We informed the front desk the next morning. They apologized and said they would fix everything, but offered nothing for the fact that the stool constantly woke us up and they had given us sheets with holes. I finally asked if there was some sort of compensation for this. The gentleman then offered us breakfast, which we accepted. Breakfast was great. Night two, no holes but the stool had not been fixed. Every five minutes it pumped water. Checked out and informed them the stool had not been fixed. The supervisor then talked to us and apologized. He said that he did not work the day before and noted that we had been provided breakfast the day before for the problems. He implied that he didn't see the need for further compensation, and asked if we didn't agree. At this point I felt intimidated (he was a large man and I am very short) and didn't want to argue so I decided to end the conversation, just accepting the situation. I did tell him it was disappointing that they could have at least told us it was not fixed and then maybe could have offered to move us to a different room. But nothing - they took no accountability - no responsibility for the second night. Shame - it could be a great hotel. “Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.” ― Mark Twain

Dear Percy,
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share these comments. I want to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced concerning the sheets and toilet. Clearly this was not acceptable and we should have handled the situation better once it was brought to our attention. Your feedback is appreciated and will help us in our efforts to improve. I know we can do better and hope you will give us another opportunity at some point to improve upon this experience for you. Thanks again.
Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Greeted by valet and front desk staff - super friendly and very helpful. Hotel is in what I'd call a city business park - on weekend the area around it was like a ghost town. But only a few blocks away is the main street in Olde Town where you can jump on a free trolley. Room was basic and fine. Although I was on the 8th floor where there is an executive lounge but it was bare. Lobby is very nice. I would stay here again.

Dear TeamPA,
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to comment. I was glad to see you enjoyed our staff and location. We will look forward to seeing you again soon. Next time in, be sure to take advantage of our shuttle service as an added convenience to get you to and from the Metro and Old Town. It appears that you did make you way there while staying with us.
Oneonta, Alabama
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was our family's first trip to the DC area, and I got what I thought to be a "deal" on this hotel through an outside booking website. The price per night was good...comparable to a 3-star. But the added fees and expenses made it cost much more. The taxes and fees equaled an additional night's stay. I'm not sure if that was from the hotel, itself, or because of the method of booking. Parking is $26/day valet. No other options, really. Internet is $9.95/day. No breakfast offered. We would have been much better off to stay in a 3-star hotel with free parking, internet, and Wi-Fi.

Our room had two double beds, which really surprised us. I would have never even thought that a 4-star hotel would have had less than queen-size beds. The mattresses were comfortable, and we made do, especially after long, tiring days of touring. The bathroom was not convenient for a family. All facilities (toilet, sink, shower) were all behind one door. It made the sharing of space even more difficult and less efficient than we had imagined with one bathroom.

The hotel was attractive, well-maintained, and very clean. The staff was excellent. Kevin, the concierge was extremely helpful in giving advice for us first-time metro users. He also made great restaurant recommendations. The free shuttle was nice. Most of the drivers were friendly and pleasant. It was easy to get to the King Street station. The front desk always had change for larger bills to make it easier to add to metro passes. So, there were good things about our stay, as well.

Overall, though, I would tell anyone considering this property to make sure you know all the details. Because of the extra expenses, I will probably choose to stay elsewhere on our next family trip to DC.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Christy W
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Christy W,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your experience. I was glad to know our staff took good care of you, Kevin in particular. Also it sounds as though you were able to take full advantage of the convenience of our shuttle service. Regarding the parking, we do offer valet parking only. Although there is a charge, we are diligent about insuring that we keep the rates competitive. There are some additional parking options close to the hotel, whether on the street or in other garages within a block or two that would be less expensive. It sounds like we could have suggested that and can certainly work to coordinate it for you next time around. Also, on our web site we do have various packages that will include breakfast, parking or internet so those do not become additional costs upon arrival. Thanks again.
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times now and there is always issues with charges on my card. Also the forced extra charges on room service is too much in my opinion.
I did love the fact that I could choose to not have daily room cleaning and help the environment.
Check out took a bit longer than expected as there was no one on the front desk
So overall an ok stay

Dear Chakstoneboo,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to comment. We appreciate the constructive feedback. I would like to learn more detail about the charges on your card and in room service that you mentioned to better understand how we can address going forward. I welcome you to reach out to me personally regarding this. Glad to know that you enjoyed taking advantage of our Green Choice Program.We hope to have the opportunity to be a service again soon.