“Holes in the Sheets and a Leaking Stool”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We were in Washington DC for a business meeting and decided to stay over for some site seeing. The Westin Alexandria was a great location for the business meeting and I must admit the cost was a little more than we usually pay, so I was expecting a great room. We did not get this room at a discount. Check-in was great and we were able to get in early. The room was small, as when sitting at the desk there was not space to walk around the end of the bed. Our view from the window was a view of a roof. We found out later at bedtime that the walls were very thin and un-insulated as we could hear the people next door. We ate and had drinks at the restaurant - it was great. The shower was awesome. When going to bed we discovered that there were holes in the sheets. One as big as a quarter. Then we realized that the stool was leaking and it would pump in water approximately EVERY 5 minutes (we timed it) - all night long - 24 hours a day. Not a very enjoyable night. We informed the front desk the next morning. They apologized and said they would fix everything, but offered nothing for the fact that the stool constantly woke us up and they had given us sheets with holes. I finally asked if there was some sort of compensation for this. The gentleman then offered us breakfast, which we accepted. Breakfast was great. Night two, no holes but the stool had not been fixed. Every five minutes it pumped water. Checked out and informed them the stool had not been fixed. The supervisor then talked to us and apologized. He said that he did not work the day before and noted that we had been provided breakfast the day before for the problems. He implied that he didn't see the need for further compensation, and asked if we didn't agree. At this point I felt intimidated (he was a large man and I am very short) and didn't want to argue so I decided to end the conversation, just accepting the situation. I did tell him it was disappointing that they could have at least told us it was not fixed and then maybe could have offered to move us to a different room. But nothing - they took no accountability - no responsibility for the second night. Shame - it could be a great hotel. “Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.” ― Mark Twain

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Percy,
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share these comments. I want to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced concerning the sheets and toilet. Clearly this was not acceptable and we should have handled the situation better once it was brought to our attention. Your feedback is appreciated and will help us in our efforts to improve. I know we can do better and hope you will give us another opportunity at some point to improve upon this experience for you. Thanks again.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Greeted by valet and front desk staff - super friendly and very helpful. Hotel is in what I'd call a city business park - on weekend the area around it was like a ghost town. But only a few blocks away is the main street in Olde Town where you can jump on a free trolley. Room was basic and fine. Although I was on the 8th floor where there is an executive lounge but it was bare. Lobby is very nice. I would stay here again.

Dear TeamPA,
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to comment. I was glad to see you enjoyed our staff and location. We will look forward to seeing you again soon. Next time in, be sure to take advantage of our shuttle service as an added convenience to get you to and from the Metro and Old Town. It appears that you did make you way there while staying with us.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was our family's first trip to the DC area, and I got what I thought to be a "deal" on this hotel through an outside booking website. The price per night was good...comparable to a 3-star. But the added fees and expenses made it cost much more. The taxes and fees equaled an additional night's stay. I'm not sure if that was from the hotel, itself, or because of the method of booking. Parking is $26/day valet. No other options, really. Internet is $9.95/day. No breakfast offered. We would have been much better off to stay in a 3-star hotel with free parking, internet, and Wi-Fi.

Our room had two double beds, which really surprised us. I would have never even thought that a 4-star hotel would have had less than queen-size beds. The mattresses were comfortable, and we made do, especially after long, tiring days of touring. The bathroom was not convenient for a family. All facilities (toilet, sink, shower) were all behind one door. It made the sharing of space even more difficult and less efficient than we had imagined with one bathroom.

The hotel was attractive, well-maintained, and very clean. The staff was excellent. Kevin, the concierge was extremely helpful in giving advice for us first-time metro users. He also made great restaurant recommendations. The free shuttle was nice. Most of the drivers were friendly and pleasant. It was easy to get to the King Street station. The front desk always had change for larger bills to make it easier to add to metro passes. So, there were good things about our stay, as well.

Overall, though, I would tell anyone considering this property to make sure you know all the details. Because of the extra expenses, I will probably choose to stay elsewhere on our next family trip to DC.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Christy W
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Christy W,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your experience. I was glad to know our staff took good care of you, Kevin in particular. Also it sounds as though you were able to take full advantage of the convenience of our shuttle service. Regarding the parking, we do offer valet parking only. Although there is a charge, we are diligent about insuring that we keep the rates competitive. There are some additional parking options close to the hotel, whether on the street or in other garages within a block or two that would be less expensive. It sounds like we could have suggested that and can certainly work to coordinate it for you next time around. Also, on our web site we do have various packages that will include breakfast, parking or internet so those do not become additional costs upon arrival. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times now and there is always issues with charges on my card. Also the forced extra charges on room service is too much in my opinion.
I did love the fact that I could choose to not have daily room cleaning and help the environment.
Check out took a bit longer than expected as there was no one on the front desk
So overall an ok stay

Dear Chakstoneboo,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to comment. We appreciate the constructive feedback. I would like to learn more detail about the charges on your card and in room service that you mentioned to better understand how we can address going forward. I welcome you to reach out to me personally regarding this. Glad to know that you enjoyed taking advantage of our Green Choice Program.We hope to have the opportunity to be a service again soon.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

From check in till check out the staff was great. Room 518 was clean, Wi-Fi was extraordinarily fast and the idea of de-selecting daily room service is good. It makes you feel more private that no one enters yopur room when you may be working or taking a nap. As a European traveller I still fail to understand why the windows in many US hotel rooms cannot open and how you get used to the humming noise of the air con.
Hans Dietz

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Hans,
Thank you for staying with us recently. I was glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and the attention from our staff. It was great to note that you took advantage of our Green Choice program when it comes to refreshing the room during your stay and it appears your enjoyed that option. I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I come to Alexandria several times a year for work and will definitely never stay here again. Firstly, I expected this to be a nice hotel with adequate rooms, food and service. I was wrong. Upon entering my initial room I quickly realized it was filthy. It had two double beds, and both beds had hairs all over the comforters - multiple hairs, no exaggeration. Long hairs, short hairs, you name it. Tired and hoping for the best, I chalked it up to the cold hard truth of staying in hotels. But once I pulled back the comforter, the sheets had hairs all over it too. The bathroom did as well. I called the front desk and they put me in another room. While the second room was better and did not have hairs on the comforter or in the sheets, the bathroom was covered in hairs. I travel a lot for work. I get it. Things fall through the cracks. This was beyond acceptable. But since I had complained once and had to assume it wasn't going to get any better, I just dealt with it. Beyond that, I ordered room service one night against my better judgement. I got potsickers and they were awful. Very greasy, very unlike potstickers. The staff is nice, the rainhead shower that other reviewers commend is nice as well, but it's hard for me to relax in a shower when evidence shows that the rooms are not cleaned properly. In the future I will absolutely not stay here, and will definitely second guess any Westin in any other city. On a positive note, the restaurant connected to the hotel is nice and the internet is fast. I literally cannot wait to get home.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Megan M
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Megan M,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. Needless to say, your experience with housekeeping and room service was completely unacceptable and I want to extend my sincere apologies. We can and do typically perform at a much higher quality level than this. Our cleanliness standards in particular are immediately being reviewed more thoroughly as a result of your feedback. This will be fixed in short order. Again, my apologies.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

When I say that i LOVED this place that's what I mean!! The entrance alone is beautiful!! When we got inside the room I loved the fact that in order to see the rest of the room I had to walk around a corner. As though it was an unveiling. The view of my room was beautiful! They had a BOSE sound system in the room, a high teach printer, black out curtains, refrigerator, comfy bed, & we simply had NO complaints!! My stay here was also the first time that I experienced room service. We simply placed our order & it was ready & delivered within 30 minutes. The food was awesome & have no complaints there. Presentation means everything & it was on point. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fact that check out was at 3PM!! I mean there aren't many hotels who have it that late. So we didn't have to be up by a certain time just to check out. All in all we love this place & (although I Didn't pay for it), it was well worth the price!!

Room Tip: You won't regret your stay!