“Very nice place to stay. Meeting space was good.”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Arlington, Texas
“Very nice place to stay. Meeting space was good.”
Reviewed June 27, 2008

I was at the Westin to attend an association board meeting. The accomodations were very nice. The staff was friendly and attentive. The meeting space was fine. The food service for the meeting was way above average for this type of event.

The location is good. A moderate walk to much of the stuff on King Street. Maybe 30 minutes if you wanted to walk all the way to the wharf. A metro station for getting into DC is just a couple of blocks away.

Overall, a very nice stay.

• Liked — Clean. Roomy. Friendly.
  • Disliked — I suppose it could have been closer to the wharf.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
New Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Just completed a great stay at this well-appointed hotel with outstanding service. Top-notch Westin experience - clean, new, very comfortable and stylish. Great work space, to include internet access quality. As a newer hotel, all areas are clean, neat and pleasant.

Of particular note was the attentiveness of the staff. My room was upgraded without request, the concierge had a pre-printed running route in my hnds before I finished asking, and smiles were in abundance. Of particular note was a staff member in the lobby who heard my colleague express frustration over her inability to have breakfast - she mentioned to me that she needed a bagel and a soft drink along our trip. Before we could pull away from the hotel, there was a knock on the window - this staff member overheard my colleague and took the initiative to obtain a soft drink and a bagel and package it for her trip.

The location is great - a 5-10 minute walk from the Amtrak and Metro stations.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed May 22, 2008

This hotel is new and 'looks' attractive but the staff is extremely inexperienced and unaware of how to properly handle problems. First, parking is valet-only and costs $24/day. I was traveling with 3 other people, were we had 4 separate rooms. For some reason they had us booked as sharing rooms. They had 4 available rooms but still had us standing in lobby for over 30 minutes while they stared are the computer and didn't know how to handle the situation. Everything was extra, water was not complimentary, internet is $10/day, and $7 for only 15 minutes in business center, there are like 7 men to greet and help you at the door and then the front desk has 6 computers with one employee. One of the members of our party arrived to his room to find it not cleaned up from the previous occupant. But the final kicker for me was when I checked out and they told me that my credit card was declined. I knew that this wasn't the case so I called my credit card company and learned that the Westin Hotel had 12 charges to my account totaling $4800. I went to the manager to complain and they really never took any blame and couldn't explain it. Unfortunately, my card was locked for over 24 hours. The staff was extremely young and inexperienced. They never made any consolation to me and never even offered. I will NEVER stay at another Westin property.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — poor service, rude staff, charges for everything, poor cell phone service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2008

We stayed at the Westin Alexandria from April 11-13, 2008. We were extremely pleased with the hotel - a new luxury hotel. The staff is well trained and friendly.

The service was excellent from check in until the check out. Valet parking is $25 a night but they were very fast and helpful.

The hotel is very new, modern, and is an excellent location in Old Town Alexandria. It is in easy walking distance from some restaurants and the Metro.

We booked a king room. It was perfectly clean and well appointed. Bedding was typical for the Westin chain, which is indeed heavenly! The room had a nice sitting area and a large flat panel HDTV. Noise was never an issue and our room has a view of other buildings...not too bad.

The bathroom was spotless. The two showerheads - Westin Heavenly Bath - were great!

Highly recommended.

• Liked — service, location
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed May 15, 2008

Overall a good experience here.

The staff were very helpful to our group, many of whom had special needs. They were attentive to many details and requests we made.

The rooms were nice with large flat panel tv's and the beds were very comfortable.

The hotel is expensive but so is every hotel in the DC metro area. The amenities in the business center are very expensive. To print a single page costs $1.

The location is a bit isolated. The hotel is NOT in Old Town. It is at minimum a 10 minute walk from there.

One problem that many of us experienced was terrible cell phone service while in the hotel. I know that is not the fault of the hotel but it is something they should be made aware.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I stayed at the Westin Alexandria from April 10-14, 2008. I was extremely pleased with the hotel. The service at check-in was excellent. The hotel is very new and is an excellent location in Old Town Alexandria. It is in easy walking distance from some restaurants and the Metro. The hotel's restaurant is also wonderful, and I enjoyed delicious, if expensive, breakfasts there each morning as well as one evening meal that was wonderful.

My room was very comfortable. In fact, I am considering purchasing some of the bedding components, as they are available for sale. The temperature was comfortable, the widescreen television was better than mine at home, and the bathroom was clean and modern. My only complaint with the bathroom is the lighted mirror. The lights are incredibly unflattering, so be prepared to be alarmed at your appearance, especially first thing in the morning!

I experienced no problems with noise from adjacent rooms, although I could hear movement. Perhaps my neighbors were just quiet.

• Liked — The comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Lighting in the bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
bochum
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Stayed at Westin in early march 2008 and we were very impressed of this modern hotel.
Arrived at front door , where valet parking is 25 bugs a night. we parked round the corner for free. Got a nice room at 7th floor.very new room.
visited the spa area which is very poor. no atmosphere and i think still under construction. we would come back again. we payed 80 bugs a night with priceline. thats very fair.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple