“Check your bill for unauthorized charges” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Alexandria

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Springfield, Illinois
“Check your bill for unauthorized charges”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

During my stay at the Westin there were a few minor things that I didn't think were appropriate - there was a dirty bra in the nightstand from a previous guest, no hand towels provided on the second day of my stay, and loud music from a wedding reception taking place in the hotel on Saturday night until midnight. Those were just minor annoyances.

My big complaint is that I paid in advance for this room online to get a cheaper rate and upon checkout on Sunday morning I was told that the room was prepaid and that a receipt would be emailed to me. Upon arrival at the airport I looked at the email from the Westin and found that I was charged for 3 nights of parking - $78.01 - and I didn't have a car!!! I called right away and was told that the accounting office is closed on Sundays and to call back tomorrow. I called this morning at 9:15 and was asked to leave my phone number or email address and they would "investigate." Investigate what??? I was also told that the matter would be resolved within a half an hour. Four hours later I called accounting again and was told that she "forgot about it" but was in the process of issuing a refund. Nice way to treat your guests, don't you think???

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank rjdav
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear rjdav,
Thank you for staying with us. My apologies for some of the incoveniences you experienced. I did check in accounting to see who might have called in concerning parking charges. It appears we have one that could be yours and if so you should see that the adjustment has been made by now. I agree that we could have reacted with more of a sense of urgency and concern regarding this once you brought it to our attention. Thanks again for staying with us. I hope you might return and if so please feel free to reach out to me personally so I can look after your stay.
Rich Casale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Things started badly at Check In (at midnight after a long haul flight) when instead of swiping my card to take a $50 holding fee, they tried to swipe the full amount for my 4 night stay, and ended up blocking my card ! We then stalemated as they refused to check me in without this deposit...I scraped together $50 cash but considering my employer has a corporate account, and we travel to this hotel regularly, there was no flexibility, trust or generosity offered in light of repeat business which was a shame. My room access key was also blocked 2 days later, as I had exceeded the $50 deposit on food / drink bill. As this time I was shocked to be forced to pay for all 4 nights...2 nights in advance of check out before my room card was unlocked ! I've never heard anything like it ! The staff were friendly and helpful, but inflexible.
Rooms and corridors in the hotel were tired, old and had a musty smell. Everything seemed clean enough, but too old to feel really clean (plug sockets were stained and yellow, as was base of bath) Towels were lovely and fluffy. Bathroom products were nice scent and quality, but water pressure was ridiculously low, taking me an age to wash my hair ! The hairdryer was old, flaking and peeling and sticky (!) and thankfully was so tired, the plug pins were bent and I had to ask for it to be replaced - it was foul – there was full iron and ironing board, and bath robe, which was nice. Worth noting; they have a silly minibar system where you have to order (and pay for) what you want them to deliver to your minibar, and it will then be stocked. Fridge not turned on otherwise, so was unable to cool the - complimentary - bottled water though, and although I could hear the ice machine clattering down the hall, it failed to produce any ice the whole 5 days I was there.
The gym was ok, with ample running and cross training machines, and mat space. The pool has been cleverly photographed for the website as it is barely long enough to swim laps in. Water and towels provided in gym, as well as option to hire gym kit and trainers.
Bar and dining area were busy in the evenings, as well as being open to the public. Not much else in the area, so worth eating out before heading back to the hotel. There are a couple of Metro stops within walking distance, but a bit dark and quiet at night.
All in all, a disappointing stay, not the quality I’d expect from a Westin or for the price paid, and will unfortunately therefore not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Away from the ice machines, as they're very loud !
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear WorldMoocher,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share these comments. It appears we could have have handled your check in and room deposit more efficiently and I want to extend my apologies. I was glad to hear that you found the staff helpful as things were brought to their attention. Also in light of your comments, we will certainly pay closer attention to the condition of the corridors and guest room hairdryers. As you mention our mini bar in the rooms will be stocked upon request and additionally it does serve to cool some items that you might bring along. Thanks again for the feedback. It is much appreciated and will help us focus our efforts accordingly.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was expecting more from a Westin in such a fine location as Alexandria. The price is high and the entrance looks very fancy and the door and check-in staff were great. However there were a number of small issues which made the experience memorable for the wrong reasons
1. Small things not right - the hotel had run out of room slippers. I have grown used to these and was disappointed when the housekeeping and front desk staff said they were out
2. Bedside telephone was not working - it was a cordless set which clearly past its prime
3. Thin walls and voices heard from the air ducts
4. Rowdy and drunk crowd in the elevators and hallways

But the biggest issue I had was when ordering my room-service breakfast the second and last night I was there. Someone 'forgot' to put the little ordering card on the door knob the second day (I used it on day 1). Wanting the same items, I called the front desk and room service around 12:30 and again at 1:30 am but no one answered. Finally when I awoke at 6;30 am in the morning I called the One-touch-service line and reached asked to order off that card and was told I couldn't do so because it was too late. Fine, please give me the normal rate for your "Healthy Breakfast"or whatever I had day 1 - "sorry, it's not on the menu". Fine, then how long for an omelette - since I'm now in a rush "sorry I can't tell you, it can be up to 25 minutes". Oh my! Can I have the duty manager.... "the manager is not here now". So I hung up in anger. I called back and asked for this person's name and never got it but was finally transferred to the kitchen without a name of course! (end of story - kitchen figured out how to hand write an order and send it up in 10 mins).... during checkout I reported the ordeal to the front desk who said they would knock off $5 of a $400 bill...hah - I told them not to bother since I was in a hurry.

On the bright side, the location was good :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear GourrmetGourmand,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments. I want to extend my apologies for the inconveniences. We certainly should have reacted with more of a sense of urgency concerning your relatively simple room serivce request which just added insult to injury to go with the slippers, telephone and noise concerns. We appreciate this feedback. All that you bring to our attention is being immediately addressed for improvement. Thanks again. I hope you might return to Alexandria and give us another chance to get things right. Please feel free to reach out to me personally as I would like to look after your accommodations.
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here two nights for a wedding and for vacation....loved the starbucks coffee provided; great amenitites; clean and friendly staff; loved the courthouse across the street...really close to the train and that was awesome because that took us everywhere in DC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Deena,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I was glad to know that you enjoyed the hotel, our staff and location. We hope to see you back again soon.
newport beach, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Overall, hotel is clean and comfortable but more attention to details would make it better. For example, not enough staff in the morning for check-out, questions etc. There is no concierge. There are no signs indicating where meetings are and waiting for ten minutes to ask where a convention is being held is easily fixed by having a board, electronic or otherwise, where everything is posted each day. Housekeeping does not replace toiletries. Only one restaurant on premises with extremely limited menu. Small shop on premises also has an extremely small selection. Room walls are thin so you can hear everything going on in the halls and adjoining rooms.
Good things about the hotel: porter and valet staff were fantastic. Gym is nice and the location is great. Beds were extremely comfortable. The price for the DC area was reasonable as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank poggy2002
Dear poggy,
Thank you for staying with us. While there were some positive aspects of your stay, clearly we could have done more to meet and exceed your expectations. Thanks for taking the time to point out those opportuniies as it gives us some direction in moving forward. I do hope that you will have an opportunity to return again and welcome you to reach out to me personally so that I might look after your arrangements.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel is a very good, functional business traveller hotel. Its a bit hard to find, on an odd back street, and there were some small drawbacks, like long waits for valet parking on two occasions (20-30 minutes), but they hotel staff is generally very good and the whole experience was well organized for the business traveller. Its a pet-friendly hotel, so if you have allergies like me ask for a pet free room at booking and again at check in. Mine was fine (and I'm very sensitive, which means the hotel is clean).

Room Tip: There are some pet-free rooms on the higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear B L,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to comment. I was glad to know that we were able to serve your business needs and that you found our staff to be helpful and organized. We hope to see you back again soon.
Roanoke, Va
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Booked room through HotWire and got a great rate for a five night stay. Unfortunately I was reminded of that and treated as unwelcome. I had contacted hotel prior to stat to request a bit of a view and a refrigerator for medication. Contacted back and told all would be taken care of. Checked in Friday, nice room but no view and no refrigerator - was told nothing else available. Friday night around 9 air conditioning stops working - call desk am told they will correct it. Nothing happens no one shows up, call back told same thing. This time man comes and takes battery out of thermostat and puts same one back in. Says this will reset thermostat. Unit comes on and runs a cycle or two but fan will not run independently, room cools some wife is tired so we go to bed. Sometime in the night unit quits again, wake up around 4 am very hot and stuffy this time thermostat is blank...shows nothing. Go down to desk and they say we can change rooms. Girl also insists that I am booked till Monday (not Wednesday). To frustrated to argue will wait till later. Go up repack and change rooms and get some sleep. Go to desk about noon Saturday to make sure everything is ok, girl gets reservation info straight, says we are ok till Wed. No one has yet offered an apology for all of this and now this girl informs me that I was moved to the club floor which I normally would not be allowed on so I can't drink the free water - for me it will be 4 dollars. No apology but a stern warning about the water. Rest of Saturday had a good day out and about. Sunday good morning and went to ballgame, returned to witness another guest in tears with the desk about something. Thought all my troubles were behind me until I checked my e-mail to have an alert from credit card company about authorizations. Checked account and Westin in three days has placed 5 separate charges totaling $592.00 for a room that was pre-paid. Headed down to desk again at 10 pm man tries to explain computer system and how it is requesting authorizations on my card. makes no sense and no one else available to talk to. Received message on Monday from Thomas the Operations Manager who says he will look into it. Tuesday he leaves another message basically saying that their system estimates what it thinks you will spend based on purchases. In other words on the second day I spent 70 bucks in the hotel restaurateur so it assumed I would do so each day. Explanation made some sense but numbers still did not add up. Housekeeping was very poor, basically make bed and replenish towels. Floor not vacuumed, ice bucket and dirty glasses never touched, iron and ironing board never put up. Final morning called down for valet to get car and phone rings a dozen times with no answer. Hang up and after a couple minutes desk calls me and says they were busy but they will get car. Head down to check out and they have two people working desk at 9:00 AM and both are checking in a large group of students. Waited 20 minutes to check out only to be handed a bill for 400+ dollars. Almost lost it at this point. Ask for Thomas and the desk agent went to find him. In the meantime the other agent figured out that he had given me someone else's bill. Have never been treated so poorly in a hotel. Made to feel unwanted as a guest. The fact that they were selling rooms through HotWire on Memorial Day weekend in the DC metro area should have warned me that something was up. Most other area hotels were at a premium for the holiday. Will not recommend Westin to anyone. Had a reservation in Charlotte, NC for end of June for a conference but have already cancelled that and found another hotel. All of this could have been avoided with some friendly faces, customer service, and an apology or two. But instead they were protecting their precious free water and making excuses for everything else.

Room Tip: Head for the Hilton!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PenguinBill
Dear PenguinBill,
Thank you for staying with us this past Memorial Weekend. Clearly we did not take very good care of you and I wanted to extend my sincere apologies. Your feedback is helpful in our efforts to make some improvements. Although there seemed to be many issues that arose in the course of your stay that would lead you not to want to return, I hope that we might have another opportunity to be of service. I know we would do siognificantly better by you the next time around and welcome you to reach out to me so I might personally look after your arrangements. Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments.