The Westin Alexandria
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewsheavenly bedking streetold towntrademark officevalet parkingminute walkwhole foodsmetro stationvery nice hotelmasonic templefew blocksper daydc areavery nice staybusiness travelerfree shuttleup to date
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great hotel. Good location, close to shopping and transportation. Great restaurant in the hotel. Breakfast is worth the price. Great restaurants in walking distance. Very nice, helpful staff. This hotel is clean and quiet. Beds are comfy!

Room Tip: Haven't had a bad one yet
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear satisfied customer,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts conerning your recent stay. I was delighted to learn that all went well and appreciate in paricular your comments about our staff I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

99% of the people who come here are very uppity so don't expect to come here and find all these friendly visitors that you might find elsewhere. That's not the fault of this hotel though I suppose (maybe it is but I'm not holding it against them). This place is huge, walking distance to King Street and the metro which is awesome, and it's connected to a Starbucks. I like how clean everything was and how nicely kept everything was. The bathroom in our room was really nice! I was a fan. The only gripe I have is public parking around the area is there but it's VERY limited. If you get there early Friday around 5:30 there are lots of spaces but after that you are pretty much SOL the rest of the weekend. I ended up parking my car in BFE way out of the way Saturday night and got so lost trying to find it it took about 20 minutes. There IS parking available through the hotel though but it's $26 a night which isn't bad if you weren't already paying a good deal to stay there in the first place. When asked if it was nightly or the weekend fee the customer service rep said, "It's nightly but hey that's incredible for this area because we are right by DC and the W charges something like $40" First of all, with all the other cheap and or free parking garages (talking $5 all day parking) in Alexandria why the hell would I want to pay that much for this hotel? NEXT TO DC? Yeah it's near it but you do have to drive there and if we are comparing parking rates to the W, that hotel is actually IN DC not next to it AND having been there MANY times it's not even CLOSE to that expensive so he lied to get their fee to look good but unfortunately for him I'm not some tourist visiting the area for the first time, I am FROM this area and I know that fee is ridiculous considering the abundance of other options for free and cheap parking in the area. I'm surprised he forgot about the parking garages in DC that charge $8-12 for all day parking (wait, no I'm not). They just try to milk what they can I guess.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zellywelly

Dear zellywelly,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was glad to know that your felt the hotel was clean and well maintained. I do appreciate your comments concening the parking fee. It appears that our associate could have better explained it and other options available. Our intention is not to compare our charges to downtown DC but to what is appropraite for the Old Town area and we need to do a better job of offering options if you should decide not to use our garage. We offer only valet parking as you know with good security and unlimited in and out privledges. The street parking is an option of course but limited and there is other garage parking on the weekends but somewhat distant from the hotel. We do set our rates to be competitve with what is offered in other hotels, not necessarily other garages. We appreciate the comments and will continue to evaluate this to insure we are priced appropriately and explaining all. Thanks again and hope you will be back.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The Westin Alexandria is in a good location for travelers to the Virginia side of Washington, D.C. and also convenient to transportation to the Washington Mall area via Metro. The hotel is clean and well kept. The restaurant has excellent food and the service in the hotel is excellent. The concierge service is very good and there is a shuttle that will take you to anywhere in Alexandria and the Regan Airport and also pick you up and take you back to the hotel. The people who arrange transportation are very helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear OK Explorer,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your comments concerning our staff, restaurant and transportation in particular. Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

In a recent stay at the Westin Alexandria in April 2013, I found the concierge service provided by Ron to be outstanding! Ron was extremely knowledgeable about area restaurants. Once he identified the type of restaurant I enjoy, he secured a reservation with view out the window and first class service. He went above and beyond the call of duty to be courteous and helpful, which made my business stay a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear map,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your comments concerning Ron. I know he will be pleased to learn of your appreciation of his outstanding service for you. Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Booked the Westin for a one night stay through Priceline. On the day of our arrival, my husband and I decided visit Old Towne for a drink and to listen to some music. While out my husband fell in a restaurant there and broke his hip. He was then transported to the hospital emergency room. After spending most of the night in the ER I finally arrived back to the Westin around 4:30 a.m. I had called earlier from the hospital to see if I could book another night since my husband was scheduled to have surgery on Saturday. When I called they said they were near capacity and I should probably talk to the manager in the morning.

I got up at 7:30 and headed to the lobby, I spoke to one girl at the front desk and explained my situation; she said the best rate they could give me for Saturday night was $329. With everything I had on my plate, I could not afford that. I asked to speak to the manager and the best she could do was $299. I asked if they would consider $199 due to the situation and so I would not have to move to another hotel, but they would not budge. BTW my Priceline bid was accepted for $88/nt, so don't tell me they don't have room to budge on their rates. So I ended up checking out.

I had hoped that considering the unusual and tramatic situation I was in, I would have received a more sympathetic response. There are some things that are more important than money. I hope that extra $100 was worth a lost customer and this poor review.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mercymygft,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I wanted to offer my sincere apologies for our insensitive approach to your situation. We certainly could have handled this better given your circumstances. I do hope that your husband is recovering well from his surgery. We wish him our best. If the opportunity does arise for you to be coming back to Alexandria, I hope you might reach out to me directly as I would like to personally offer assistance with your accomodations. We are anxious to make amends.