“Good location, Great facilities”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Dubuque, Iowa
“Good location, Great facilities”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I spent four nights at the Westin Alexandria while attending a conference in the same facility.

The bed and linens were good, and sleep quality was acceptable. I did not sleep well, but tough to blame the conditions.

Overall the room was pretty good, no complaints.

The gym facilities were pretty good- free weights, a few machines, mats, swiss balls, and several treadmills. The pool and hot tub, although both small, have a comfortable atmosphere.

The conference facilities were better than most hotel conference facilities I've attended (out of the 15-20 hotels). Large room had good lighting and accoustics, with great access from two sides. The small breakout rooms have great natural lighting, nice tables and chairs, and comfortable. The common lounge spaces are just the right size and furniture. Well designed for a small conference.

The service was fine, I did not have any issues nor concerns. I did not eat at any of the on-site facilities.

The location is decent, within walking distance from all the great restaurants and shopping on historic King Street, and about 20 minute walk from the water. It is only 5 minute walk to the metro stop, so you can easily get to and from the airport, as well as anywhere else in the DC area.

Overall Westin Alexandria is a good hotel with great conference facilities. I was pleased with my stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Joshua,
Thanks for staying with us recently. I was glad to know you enjoyed your stay and greatly appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts on so many different aspects of our hotel. I hope your travels will bring you our way again soon.
Rich Casale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Bronx, New York, United States
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I took a little trip to Alexandria because it was so close to Washington DC. We had such a great time. The hotel was beautiful and clean. Ron at the front desk help us so much with places to eat and visit. He was such a polite to talk to. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others and would come back again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lisamarie,
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments, particularly concerning Ron. I am sure he will be very pleased to know that he had such a great impact on your experience. Hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is going to be one of my shortest reviews.

4 out of 5 for me is a place I would stay in every time with no second thought. To get 5 in my book you really have to blow it away and think of everything before I ask.

The location is sort of a quite area after 5pm. There are a few things around but not a ton.

Rooms were just fine and so was the service. I even left something in the room and finally got a a very helpful security guard that sent me my bag. Only thing that made me scratch my head was how the hotel did not contact me to let me know I left a bag. Its a bag not a toothbrush.

Guess I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Ktscott,
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. Glad to know all went well and most improtantly that we were able to find and return your bag. Given that you are so well travelled, your postive comments are very much appreicated.

Jamestown, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We couldn't find a place to stay near the Mall in Washington DC at Easter time that was reasonable, so we opted for nearby Alexandria, VA. for 2 reasons: its near the metro and its a quaint historical city with things to do in the evening.
The Westin Alexandria is one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at: safe, super clean, staff helpful and kind, beautiful setting. It has a shuttle that we used to pick us up after dining on King St. in Alexandria for free. Also, when booking i called Westin directly and they worked with me on a reasonable rate that beat the internet rates.
We were able to walk or take the local trolley to nearby shopping and restaurants.
I would recommend it - highly.
One should know there is only valet parking and it costs an additional $25/ night to park a car. The hotel is a gem. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear dolceniente,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with all. Noticed you are from Jamestown, NY. I have a cousin that lives up there and have visited a few times. Great place. I hope we will have have an opportunity to be of service again in the near future.
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 days at the Westin Alexandria...staff was terrific...hotel was very clean...location was very convenient to the Metro for trips to DC and the trolley to Old Town Alexandria...

Highly recommended

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Mark k,
Thanks for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your comments. I was delighted to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, service and location. Hope to see you back again soon.
Allentown, PA
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We picked this hotel due to its location. We wanted to be able to walk to the subway and to restaurants. It did not disappoint in these areas. The King St metro is at most a 5 min. easy walk. There are restaurants you can walk to from the hotel or you can catch the free King St trolley at the metro station and access all the restaurants in old town. We felt safe walking around the area even at night with 2 kids. The rooms are nice and were clean and well maintained. They also have a safe and refrigerator that we found very useful! My kids enjoyed the pool - it is not huge, but big enough. Most importantly it was warm! We have been to plenty of hotel pools that are freezing and it ruins the experience. You have to pay to have internet access in your room - seems like this should be included and most hotels do at this point - this is when you feel you are being nickeled and dimed. Internet access is free in the lobby at least. Also we chose the green option - not to have our linens changed. But this means nobody comes to even empty the garbage or refill the coffee. We asked for this to be done on our second day, as we stayed 3 nights. Housekeeping was promptly sent up and took care of it. We usually like to stay at hotels that include breakfast, but sacrificed this for location. There is a Starbucks that has bagels on the same block as the hotel. There is also an Einstein bagel shop a few doors down from the Starbucks, but it was not open on the weekend (Starbucks was). Also like that you can bring your dog to the hotel. We did not bring our pooch this visit but may the next time we come - this would also be a reason to stay here again - and the rate seems reasonable if you have a dog. Alexandria appeared to be very dog friendly - we saw a lot of dogs around! Alexandria even has a cruise where you can bring your dog during the summer and have bikes that have an attachment for dogs. After we checked out we wanted to spend time in old town so we went to the visitor center and you can get a free parking pass for 24 hrs - between this and the free trolley it is very easy to visit Alexandria!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 844 and our view was of the roof - we could see nothing!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear nmesq,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your comments. Glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and our conveninece to Old Town. Looking forward to being of service again.
Montreal
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Westin and were pleasantly surprised by the excellent front desk staff (esp. Vanessa). It was a breeze checking in and we were given a nice room with all the things we needed for our baby.

There was a problem with noise that night, some construction and we heard drills at 9pm, but once we called the desk, it stopped. We also had a problem with the faucet, but that was repaired quickly. The manager took care of this issue very well.

For a family this place is suitable and well-located for the metro to D.C. It is close to the Whole Foods and Starbucks and in a nice part of town- away from "downtown" Alexandria. It's more quiet.

But beware, the halls were noisy with kids running up and down and you can hear conversations. The doors are also ill devised and slam loudly. Too bad more care wasnt taken to correct this annoyance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear smithid,
Thanks for staying with us. I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction witht our service, particularly with the front desk and Vanessa. It appears you did encounter some noise issues which were responded to appropriately and we will continue to look closer at our security staffing during high family occupancy weekends to enable a quieter experience for all. Hope to see you again soon!