“Great Deal !!!”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Stayed at Westin in early march 2008 and we were very impressed of this modern hotel.
Arrived at front door , where valet parking is 25 bugs a night. we parked round the corner for free. Got a nice room at 7th floor.very new room.
visited the spa area which is very poor. no atmosphere and i think still under construction. we would come back again. we payed 80 bugs a night with priceline. thats very fair.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 30, 2008

I stayed at this property for three nights while there for a conference. The room was booked by corporate travel at the conference rate of $189. This is significantly below the rack rate for this facility.

The property is located in a recently renovated part of Alexandria. It is well lit, clean and safe. It is a ten minute walk to the nearest Metro station, although the station is a little hidden from the hotel. The development of restaurants in the area has not kept up with the hotel and offices. As a result, one must walk a considerable distance from the hotel to the variety of restaurants along King Street in Old Town. This should be a consideration for anyone wishing to spend much time there. In inclement weather, or for those with disabilities, a cab ride, with typical urban fares, would be a must.

As mentioned in previous reviews, the property is new, having opened in November 2007. It is of contemporary design and layout.

The lobby is spacious, spotless and over two stories high. The centerpiece is an unusual wooden clock some fifteen feet high. The air in this Westin lobby, as in other properties in the chain, is lightly scented and exudes cleanliness. Several small sitting areas are in the lobby and lights are dimmed each evening with the addition of multiple lit candles. Quite a nice touch.

Check-in was flawless with everything ready when I arrived. I had my key card and was on my way within one minute. The staff was well dressed, very competent, and obviously service oriented.

Interior hallways are clean, quiet and well lit. There is quite the distance from the block of elevators to the ends of each hallway. Speaking of elevators, the service was prompt. With multiple elevators serving one area, I waited no longer than one minute at anytime during my stay.

I was assigned to a king room. It was perfectly clean and well appointed. Bedding was typical for the Westin chain, which is indeed heavenly. The room had a nice sitting area and a large flat panel HDTV. As mentioned by previous reviewers, my room overlooked a construction site – noise was never an issue.

The bathroom was spotless and very well appointed, again typical for the Westin brand. Interestingly, there were as absence of drawers or other storage space. This could be an issue for long stays. Water pressure was below average for this price point. The two showerheads, typical for the Westin Heavenly Bath, were present but were not really usable simultaneously.

Housekeeping service was spotty during my stay. After my first night I returned to the room at 6:00 PM to discover that service had not yet been provided. I called Service Express and the operator apologized profusely. A housekeeper was in the room within fifteen minutes and provided all necessary service. After my second night service was provided early in the day, but toiletries were not replenished in the bath. Again, a call to Service Express corrected the omission, but this should simply not occur at this type of property two days in a row.

As mentioned by previous reviewers, cell service inside this hotel is sorely lacking. Numerous colleagues spoke of this issue, and it crossed all carriers. This is unacceptable in a hotel that caters to business travelers in the DC market. Wireless internet service, at $9.00 per day, was slower than most. Frankly, I have had better service for free at Hampton level properties.

Conference service was very good. Meeting rooms were comfortable and well appointed. Staff was helpful, but not overbearing. There was a lack of room/table cleaning during breaks. This led to tables full of cans and glasses by the end of the day.

Banquet food service was well above average, even for the Westin. Across the board, conference attendees bragged on the food, both quality and variety. In both buffet and table service settings, this was a high point.

I took advantage of room service one evening. Service was prompt, polite and the food presentation was excellent. The pricing was appropriate for the property.

Check-out was flawless and the final bill did not contain any errors. Again, the desk clerks were most professional and polite, thanking me for my business and inviting me back.

This is a very good property that is having some slight growing pains. I trust that as time progresses that the small issues I encountered will see correction. At the rack rate price point, this would be a necessity.

1  Thank cburley
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Second stay at this still-fairly-new property; was here in Dec 07.

Still a very nice place… Excellent location in the Carlyle area, which is all very new. Still a good schlep if you have to walk to or from the King Street Metro station. (Of course, that’s not going to change, is it? They can’t move the place, right?) Rooms are standard Westin (which is good) with the cool new riser plug contraption on the desk. Heavenly Bed and Bath, excellent broadband in the room, and free 10meg wifi in the lobby and bar area. I do not, though, like the big box contraption that connects your laptop to the flat screen tv. Cool tech, and I used it once to rehearse a preso, but the box is the size of a phone book. Pls, get this off the desk.

Had a dinner in the terribly underutilized restaurant, and the food came out fast and hot. Service crisp and professional. My second evening, I had an early dinner with colleagues, and returned to the bar area to work emails. The hostess/greeter remembered me from the prior night, and walked over to greet me, by name, and ask if I’d like the same wine I’d had the prior night. Nice, nice touch.

I did not opt for the offered upgrade to Club… they still wanted $50. Sorry, but seeing the food they had last time, you’re better off without it… room was the same. My glass of wine in the bar was $6, and appetizer was $8. Wifi available in the bar, not in Club lounge. At 6:30am they connected me with a Starbucks for $2. So, I got better stuff and service for $16 than I would have gotten up top for the $50… PLUS paying for the wine up in the Club Lounge.

Also… I’m SPG Gold, so I hit Starwood pretty regularly. I don’t want to be petty, but usually, there is a “thank you for staying with us so much” at check in, or a couple of chocolates at turn-down, or a “we’re putting you in a larger room”. Here, nothing. I had one standard complimentary bottle of water, but it was not replaced the next day. So, this is not yet a Westin that has figured out how to handle frequent travelers. C’mon guys, at Hyatt, I can’t get off the phone with an operator without being thanked, by name, for my frequent patronage. This Westin can’t even toss me an Andes mint?

As I assessed in December, location is excellent, and the hard goods are well executed. The software… the most important part here, still needs a little bit of work. Nicer digs than the Embassy Suites, and more mod than the Hilton, but still, overall, just barely competitive with the Hilton Alexandria. Check rates… between the Westin and Hilton, take the cheaper of the two, and you’ll be fine… If you’re visiting as a tourist, the King Street Metro access from the Hilton would tilt in their favour real fast.

All this said, I’ll return happily in the future (but will still check the Hilton’s rates!)

Reviewed March 7, 2008

I will second the good reviews this hotel is getting. I don't understand the negative ones. This is a new luxury hotel. The staff is well trained and friendly. The rooms aren't isolation chambers, but I wasn't bothered by knowing someone was in the room next door. The bathrooms are heavenly and big enough. What do people do in the bathroom to make them want a larger bathroom? The hotel is decorated in a contemporary style. It's beautiful. Everything is new and clean. Large flat screen HD TV in my room. I had two double beds; heavenly beds are an appropriate description.

Once one knows where the hotel is, relative to the King Street Metro Station, it's a short ten minute walk through an upscale business - condo neighborhood. Use the sidewalk on the north side of Diagonal Road and the underpass to the Carlyle development. King Street from the Metro Station to the water front is delighful; a mile or so.

1  Thank Frugaltoo
Reviewed March 2, 2008

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Westin in February. The entire staff was very friendly. Stayed in a regular king room. Bed was comfortable. Couldn't quite get the room temp. adjusted -either a little too hot or too cold. Also, our room overlooked a big pit in the ground/construction site. It was the weekend, so there was no work going on, but it might be noisy on a weekday. The best thing about the bathroom was a hairdryer that actually dried my long hair. We had drinks and dinner at the hotel on Friday night and enjoyed the ambiance. The complimentary scallops/risotto appetizers were tasty. Entree prices were reasonable, and the tuna was delicious. The wine and other drinks were pricier. The location is a bit out of the way from Old Town, but the weather was nice and we didn't mind the walk. If I can get my husband to stop complaining about the $25/day valet parking, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Annapolis Westin. The room was elegant, clean and relatively spacious. The bed was delightful. Service was good. The gym was fine - new equipment although not a lot of it. The hotel common spaces are elegant and beautifully decorated. My only real complaint was that there didn't seem to be much of a gift shop/snack bar area, and that, being a new hotel, they were working through some of the kinks, like internet service to the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2008

We stayed at Room 421 last weekend 2nd/3rd February.
Room was well equipped,good bed,luxurious bathroom,LCD-TV.Comfortable aircondition,a bit noisy,but you might
prefer having the ventilator on instead of hearing your neighbours.
For internet they charge 10 Dollars,for the valet parking 24,room was
123(great offer).
They allow dogs and we had one nextdoor which was alone in the room at nighthours from roughly 8 to 11 pm and was howling and moaning.Walls to thin,normal talk from the next room could be heard and understood.
Beautiful Lobby,friendly receptionist,but a little unaware of customers wishes.Had to repeat several times.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family